Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi backhual connection attempt

OrbiMan
Luminary

Orbi backhual connection attempt

I am generally OK with my Orbi it works alright, minor quirk but ok.

I have a NAS connect to a Netgear R7000 which act as a bridge to the Main orbi wifi.  It works but since the bridge is using the fronthaul it limit the speed.  In attempt to access the backhual, which I know is almost impossible from what everyone said, but this is my attempt, maybe other could built on it.

I enable telnet on the Orbi, log in the router

I ran the command "nvram show" which contains tons of info, including settings and suchs

but I found 2 setting to my interests

wla_2nd_ap_bh_ssid=NETGEAR_ORBI_hidden(2 digit number I redacted this for now)

wla_2nd_ap_bh_wpa2_psk= (a very long string of number and letter, looks like encrypted txt, but I don't think so I think it is the key itself, I could be wrong, I try to decrypt this but obiously didn't have any luck)

I tried to use these setting to connect using my labtop and log the event.

The final event that I log is

Connection failed. Interface = Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Reason code = 0x38002.  (according to what I found about the code is driver disconnected while associating)

From what I reason is that the key is right, the network name is right, but it Netgear is using something maybe nonstandard so normal client couldn't connect, I hope someone could continue this work.  Administrator, please allow us to connect to backhaul, I don't ask for this as a full blow feature, just make it so that advance user could, I would love to use my R7000 as a direct bridge to the backhual.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi backhual connection attempt

Use a cable instead. Wireless where wireless belongs - to mobile devices. But not to connect a NAS.

Message 2 of 10
OrbiMan
Luminary

Yes obviously cable is good but my wife would kill me for running cable across rooms, hence wireless bridge. I get a decent 250 mbps from the bridge but when factor in other wifi pulling from that same front hual I get down to like 100 mbps still enough to streams but annoying when transfer files.
Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Move NAS (and Orbi) to a different place where a short cable is feasible - and keep your wife happy.
Message 4 of 10
OrbiMan
Luminary

I appreciate this. Obviously it cross my mind but this is more of a tech puzzle and trying to understand Orbi system more. I am asking for any tech savvy person to comment. I know I could buy another satellite but what would be the fun of that.?
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have a satellite in place as well? You can connect the NAS to the satellite and see if this does anything. 

Try factory resetting the R7000 and set it up from scratch. 

What FW is on the R7000? 

What FW is on the Orbi router?

Message 6 of 10
OrbiMan
Luminary

Obviously the Nas connect directly to satellite will work well since the Nas will use the wireless backhaul through the satellite. That is not the issue I am after.
What I am after is using another router to bridge to the Orbi backhual. Effectively turning it into a satellite sort of. Just for fun and understanding. The R7000 run latest netgear firmware and also tried ddwrt as well. Won't connect. I think next I will try to clone the Mac address of one of the Orbi satellite to see if that work.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

And your using the wireless bridge mode on the R7000? Possible there is an issue with wireless bridge and Orbi systems. However I have my older WNDE111 wireless bridge connected to my 1 satellite that services my mom in laws DISH Joey in her room next door to where the Satellite is. Possible there is a configuration or FW issue with the R7000. 

What FW are you using on the Orbi router? 

Message 8 of 10
OrbiMan
Luminary

To be clear my r7000 have No issue connecting to the normal Orbi wifi "the front hual" however nothing is able to connect to the dedicated Orbi backhual with the 4x4 stream except for the Orbi satellite. I have latest firmware on Orbi 2.1 something as well as r7000

I am essentially trying to hack the system to make any router with a bridge mode to act as a satellite, which I am sure Netgear will not approve of, because they will loose money on selling satellite. But I am trying to do this for fun.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok man. Just asking. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation