Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi blocking devices after temporary network changes

pmlo
Aspirant

Orbi blocking devices after temporary network changes

Late last week there was a terrible thunderstorm which temporarily took down the fiber Internet connection (no signal in fiber modem). Since we're working from home these days, my workaround was to buy a 4G sim and 4G router, and connect my Orbi RBR50 to the LAN port of the 4G router (TP-Link Archer MR200). This seemed to work well enouth for connecting to work and AppleTV devices, Google Nest cams++, but noticed that:

- Google Nest Hub Max devices stopped working

- Google Chrome devices stopped working

- Sonos wasn't showing all devices for many hours

Yesterday my ISP was makig sure network was working again, and asked me to reconnect the Orbi RBR50 router to the fiber modem. I did so, and confirmed that Internet was working again.

But still Google devices would not connect to Internet. I also noticed that our Nintendo Switch couldn't connect to Internet.When trying to connect to Internet with the Nintendo Switch, I was told that the it could connect to the router, but required username and password login to connect to Internet. It sent me to a 401 page (which I believe was delivered by Orbi) where it asked me to enter the router serial number and something about resetting admin account. Unfortunately I did not take photo of this message, but it made me worried my network had been hacked.

Next, I contacted my ISP who is currently troubleshooting this from their side, but will charge me if it turns out to be a local issue. So therefore hoping to debug my network myself, but don't have enough knowledge to be sure what to do.

Troubleshooting so far:

1) The TP-Link 4g router I used temporary while main Internet was down had IP address 192.168.1.1

2) When logging on to my orbi router (through orbilogin.net) I first get a warning:

"TO AVOID CONFLICT WITH YOUR ISP YOUR ROUTER'S IP ADDRESS HAS BEEN CHANGED"

I now believe this might be some configuration adjustment that happened at the point I connected the Orbi RBR50 "Internet" (WAN) port to the TP-Link 4G router?

3) Further I have gone through the setup of my Orbi router which I don't believe should matter in this context:

a) disabled two outdated address reservations I no longer use (servers I've removed)

b) disabled UPnP (don't think I need this?)

But I couldn't find anything that could explain why any devices were blocked (no access control activated, and access rules are set to "Allow all new devices to connect"

I was wondering if it could be relevant that I also have another router connected to the Internet fiber modem, but don't think it should be relevant. The other router (LinkSys WRT1900ACS) has IP address 10.217.xxx.xxx but don't think that should matter. Or is this perhaps something to check further?

Wonder if I should:

A) Consider to factory reset the Orbi RBR50

B) Try reconfiguring the Orbi network to use 192.168.1.1(?) network

C) Consider other actions, if for exaple there would be reasons to believe my network has been hacked 

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi blocking devices after temporary network changes

Yes walk thru a factory reset. 

If your upstream host router uses 192.168.1.1 then the RBR will change to something different, maybe 10.something on the LAN side as to not conflicts with the host routers 1.1. address. 

Or you can configure AP mode on the RBR. 

Message 2 of 5
pmlo
Aspirant

Thanks, did a factory reset (after backing up the configuration), and now all works again after configuring the setup again. 

Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

What is the TP-Link router connected to?

If possible, eliminate it.

You will more than likely, since the IP address changed on your Orbi router, need to reconfigure each device trying to reconnect. This is very common, especially if the devices are set to static IP. 

You may have to reset the Orbi router if all else fails. 

I doubt your network was hacked. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad the reset worked to get the system working again. I would do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed again later on down the road. 

Please mark your thread as solved so other will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@pmlo wrote:

Thanks, did a factory reset (after backing up the configuration), and now all works again after configuring the setup again. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7