Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi blocking location on Home Pod and iPad

jjoiv
Aspirant

Orbi blocking location on Home Pod and iPad

It seems that the recent firmware update is preventing my iPad and Home Pod from knowing my location. For example, my iPad can’t figure out what time zone I am in, but if I go to my neighbor’s house, it updates just fine. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
jjoiv
Aspirant

My problem resolved itself after I moved. It must have had something to do with my former location.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Has a reboot of the RBR after the v60 was loaded or just update and continue? 

Message 2 of 13
ekhalil
Master

One of the reasons that can cause such strange -unjustifiable- issues is having double NAT in your network. If your ISP modem is acting as a router and does NATing on the incoming WAN traffic then this can cause different issues since Orbi is also doing NATing. You need to check if you have double NAT.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8    (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,
Message 3 of 13
jjoiv
Aspirant

Hop 1 is 192.168.1.1

Hop 2 is 10.108.128.1

The modem is Arris SB6190. I have a manual, but it does not mention NAT.

Message 4 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@jjoiv wrote:

It seems that the recent firmware update is preventing my iPad and Home Pod from knowing my location. For example, my iPad can’t figure out what time zone I am in, but if I go to my neighbor’s house, it updates just fine.

This problem happens if you had installed a new router or wireless system and used a different network name (SSID). As long as no devices with GPS supported location connect to your network, and they allow location sharing, the cloud database will never learn where the network is connected.

Nothing a router, a firewall, an ISP, ... can do or block.

Same applies to Apple, Google, and other vendors maintaining a global location database.

Message 5 of 13
jjoiv
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I am moving and disconned the Orbi sattelite and packed it. Would that constitute a change? The problem may have started then.

Could you clarify this sentence: " As long as no devices with GPS supported location connect to your network, and they allow location sharing, the cloud database will never learn where the network is connected." I have an iPhone with GPS connected. Do you mean the gps connected device is causing the cloud database not to learn?

Message 6 of 13
jjoiv
Aspirant

The router is in "router mode" not "ap mode"

Message 7 of 13
schumaku
Guru

That's possible that either your iOS device is not enabled to provide and share the (GPS) location data e.g. to Apple.

I have no idea how log it does take until a new network name and location is picked up.

FMI: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203033

Message 8 of 13
jjoiv
Aspirant

Thanks. I think I would put this aside, wait until I move and see if the problem persists. I'll report back here if I learn anythng new.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You modem is just a modem only so no router here. 

FYI about your modem though:

http://www.badmodems.com

Good luck. 

@jjoiv wrote:

Hop 1 is 192.168.1.1

Hop 2 is 10.108.128.1

The modem is Arris SB6190. I have a manual, but it does not mention NAT.

Message 10 of 13
RebelBob
Aspirant

I am having the same problem as the op.  We have two,iPhones that are on the same network, yet still get “location could not be determined”.  I also have sent in info to skyhook several times without success.  My configurations is AP.  My isp is verizon FIOS.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 13
jjoiv
Aspirant

My problem resolved itself after I moved. It must have had something to do with my former location.

Message 12 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Again: No relation to your former location, the ISP, the router, ...

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7