Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi bricked after factory reset

wilro15
Tutor

Orbi bricked after factory reset

I have an RBR50 plus two RBS50 satellites.  I have a router provided by my ISP (its an Adtran model) which is cannot be put into Bridge mode.  So this means I need to have the Orbi as an access point only, and leave DHCP to the ISP's router.

I did a factory reset of the Orbi as I was having difficulties with Access Control (thats another story).  Therefore I am trying to setup the Orbi as  a new system through the Orbi App on my phone.  Unfortunately the app only seems to allow me to setup the Orbi as a router connecting to a modem, there seems to be no way to set it up initially as an access point.

The app process gets to point at which it tries to test internet connectivity and fails, presumably because having two DHCPs on the same network is clashing.

Please note, I can hook up an ethernet cable to my ISP router and get online just fine.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
wilro15
Tutor

I may have got it working...

I saw another post on here that said to tell the Orbi to use a fixed IP from your router when in access point mode, even though Netgear warns you not to.  Also set the DNS servers to be public IPs, I used Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Then power cycled the Orbi router and ISP router and it has started to work.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 using a wired PC or laptop and web browser. 

If your ISP modem can't be bridged and it has a built in router, can configure the modems DMZ for use with the RBR and then leave the RBR in router mode. 

Message 2 of 7
wilro15
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.

I have done a factory reset (fourth time today), connected via ethernet and setup the Orbi router as an access point.  I have configured the wifi and can connect to the wifi from my phone and laptop.  I chose for Orbi to get an IP dynamically from the router.

However I cannot connect to the internet, either over wifi to the Orbi or via ethernet to the Orbi.

The only thing that does work is that I can connect to the ISP router's admin page (which is the gateway & DHCP).

Message 3 of 7
wilro15
Tutor

Oh, and the Orbi router has a solid magenta light

Message 4 of 7
wilro15
Tutor

I may have got it working...

I saw another post on here that said to tell the Orbi to use a fixed IP from your router when in access point mode, even though Netgear warns you not to.  Also set the DNS servers to be public IPs, I used Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Then power cycled the Orbi router and ISP router and it has started to work.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes using Static IP address for the RBR in AP mode is preferred. Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 7
wilro15
Tutor

Thanks for your help. It put me on the right path to getting this fixed.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7