Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi can't connect to internet during setup

Nathanking90
Tutor

Orbi can't connect to internet during setup

I just hooked up and activated the CM1000 and it seems to be working fine. Connecting directly to a PC gives internet, and connecting it to the old router (Google WiFi) also gives internet. However, I've spent nearly 3 hours now trying to get the Orbi to work.

Once the Orbi is done powering up and connecting, all the LEDs seem to check out. The satellite is solid blue, the router is solid white, if I connect the Orbi to my PC I can connect to orbilogin.net, and the mobile app detects the Orbi just fine. Both the app and the web client will go through the setup process until the page with steps where the first is "checking cables", which passes, and then it l fails at "checking internet". The web client suggested the modem wasn't power cycled correctly, a step which I've done roughly 30 times now.

As of the time of this writing I'm not at home to try any steps or verify the hardware numbers of my specific model, so if anyone could just give me a list of things to try or if someone had a similar experience they could share what they did, that would be great. I'm gonna try for a couple more hours to get it to work when I get home. If that fails I'm sending this thing back. It cost way too much to give me this much trouble.
Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Nathanking90
Tutor

Re: Orbi can't connect to internet during setup

I recieved my new system today and it installed just fine, not a single hiccup. It would seem that the previous router indeed had an issue with the yellow ethernet port or some other issue causing it to not connect to the internet.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

In the old days, users were offended when the Help Desk would ask, "is it plugged in?" (and after crawling under the desk admit that it wasn't)  What you are describing sounds extremely frustrating, and is certainly not the way installing an Orbi is supposed to go.

So, just to confirm the basics:

The Orbi router (RBR50) has the WAN (yellow) port connected to the modem?

A PC connected to the Orbi is given an IP address (using DHCP), which includes gateway and DNS server IPs?

(open a CMD window and type ipconfig /all)

The PC web browser can connect to the IP address of the gateway, which should be the Orbi?

When connected to the Orbi web interface, click on the Advanced Tab, and on the Advanced Home screen, click on "Show Statistics".  It should show the WAN port connected?

On that same Advanced Home screen, does it show anything for Internet Port IP address?

p.s. I am not a huge fan of the Orbi "app".  Others swear by it; I swear AT it.

Message 2 of 8
Nathanking90
Tutor

Everything is true up through accessing the web client, but I can't access tabs in the web client. When I use the IP the web client comes up fine, I can login just fine, but then it says I need to setup the router. I go through the steps to set it up then says there's no internet connection and setup can't continue.

Here's a screenshot of exactly what's going on. This happens in the client or the app.
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you have another ethernet cable?  Since (I believe) this a replacement Orbi router, surely the WAN (yellow) ethernet port is intact.

Message 4 of 8

Wow. I haven't see a photo as screen grab in some time. (Alt+PrintScreen with a PC is quicker and easier.) But that does suggest a trip back to basics.

As you have been trying to fix this with no luck, I'd be tempted to reset the Orbi to factory settings And then go carefully through the correct setup sequence:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

As @CrimpOn says, these things can be easier if you use a browser to get at graphical user interface (GUI).

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I went through a lot of paperclips getting my Orbi through a couple of firmware upgrade cycles.  As @michaelkenward says, sometimes even a new Orbi has a problem that can only be fixed by sticking something into the tiny "Reset" hole next to the power plug.  Actually, since it has not been set up yet, there is "nothing to lose."

Hold the paperclip in until the power LED turns amber and then begins to flash amber.

Message 6 of 8
Nathanking90
Tutor

I was able to get a hold of a tech at Netgear, and after going back and forth for 30 minutes, factory resetting the router twice, verifying that I indeed have working internet, and manually entering settings during setup, we determined the yellow "internet" port is most likely busted. I bought the system on Amazon so I've went ahead and ordered a replacement.

I was on the forums on my phone, so it was easiest to just snap a pic on my phone real fast and upload it, lol.
Message 7 of 8
Nathanking90
Tutor

I recieved my new system today and it installed just fine, not a single hiccup. It would seem that the previous router indeed had an issue with the yellow ethernet port or some other issue causing it to not connect to the internet.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7