Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi cannot change password

fede12345
Follower

Orbi cannot change password

Hi,

I initially setup my Orbi admin password and it contains an "ñ" character (non ASCII). Now I have downloaded the iOS App and the App does not allow for non ASCII characters in the password (SIC). So I have tried to change the password from the web interface but when I input the old password (containing the non ASCII character) and input twice the new passwords (without non ASCII characters and compliant to the password strength requirements) I get a message sying that my old password is not correct (which it is obviously correct since I used to gain access to the management interface).

So I am stuck. I would either want to be able to access the iOS app with my current password, or be able to change my password.

The system is running V2.3.5.32

Thanks

PS: I have read another post suggesting that such a problem may arrise from pasting the old password into the form, however I have typed it in.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button for 15 seconds then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on. Be sure to not use any special characters for the admin PW. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@fede12345 wrote:

So I am stuck. I would either want to be able to access the iOS app with my current password, or be able to change my password.

Oh, fudge.  It looks like whoever coded the two web dialog boxes did them differently.

@FURRYe38is correct that a "Factory Refresh" is a guaranteed method to create a new password.  I believe there might be an alternative method, but it would be up to you to determine whether it is more tedious and complicated than a reset.

When I telnet into my Orbi and type the command:

nvram show

It displays hundreds of parameters, including this one:

http_passwd=MyOrbiPassword

(not actually my password, but you get the idea)

This parameter is the only place my Orbi admin password appears.  So, perhaps you could use the debug page to enable telnet access to the Orbi router. (http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm)

See if you can log in with the credentials "admin" and the existing password (with "ñ").  If you can't log in with the "ñ", then the only method is probably a reset.

Type these commands:

config set http_passwd=newpassword

config commit

Then open the Administration Menu Set Password, and have a go.  (It may even pop up the "enter password" dialog box on you.)

The worst that can happen is (a) you spent time on this that could have been used doing a factory reset, and (b) it may hose the system so you have to do a reset anyway.

If I knew how to read html, I'd be tempted to examine the login dialog box vs. the Set Password dialog box and look for differences.  But I find the Orbi web pages WAY beyond my primitive skills.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Thought I should report back.  Dug out my spare Orbi and tested changing the admin login through the telnet interface.

It was "OldUser" and I changed it to "NewUser".  Went back to the web interface and login was now "admin" and "NewUser".

Somewhat odd: the password for the telnet interface did not change until I rebooted the Orbi.  After reboot, telnet login was also "admin" and "NewUser".

I confess that I forgot to test inputting the "ñ" into the telnet interface.  Was so giddy with success that I ran back to the forum too quickly.

Confess that I'm not entirely sure how to create this character from the computer keyboard.  (smartphone keyboard is easy.  computer keyboard???)

and yes, Orbi absolutely throws a fit over "password not secure enough!!!"  Since this Orbi is not connected to the Internet, I said, "Stuff a sock in it." (or similar words)

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you were able to get the password changed. 

@fede12345 wrote:

Hi,

I initially setup my Orbi admin password and it contains an "ñ" character (non ASCII). Now I have downloaded the iOS App and the App does not allow for non ASCII characters in the password (SIC). So I have tried to change the password from the web interface but when I input the old password (containing the non ASCII character) and input twice the new passwords (without non ASCII characters and compliant to the password strength requirements) I get a message sying that my old password is not correct (which it is obviously correct since I used to gain access to the management interface).

The system is running V2.3.5.32

Thanks

PS: I have read another post suggesting that such a problem may arrise from pasting the old password into the form, however I have typed it in.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7