Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi cannot connect to internet

Vsagalovskiy
Aspirant

Orbi cannot connect to internet

I’m trying to set up my orbi after moving apartments within the same building, but when i tried to just plug everything in as before it stopped working. I factory reset the router and satellite, i checked to see that it does have a non generic IP address as well. The connection is to an Ethernet port in my wall which is how I did it before.
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
Is the Orbi router getting an ISP IP address after you factory reset the router base with a wired PC connected to it and walk thru the setup wizard first.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 8
Vsagalovskiy
Aspirant

Hi I’m on FW 2.1.4.16. So I don’t have an Ethernet port on my laptop but I have it direct connected to my Ethernet in my wall. However my IP address according to the advanced home page does give me an IP address.

When I try to run the setup wizard I get the following message “the router cannot connect to the internet with the current settings” I know cable connections are correct and since it’s an Ethernet plug in the wall (which is how it was before when it worked) I can’t cycle the modem.

Trying 1,6, and 11 does nothing and I am on the 48 channel for the 5ghz.

I have more WiFi channels around me than before by a good amount but I had neighbors before and most of the neighbors are very weak connections from a neighboring apartment. I should add that I’m in the same building just a different unit. Also we have a managed service provider who we have an account to add in MAC addresses to let the device use the internet which I did from the old unit and updated my settings to reflect the change in apartment units.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the ISP isn't givng you an IP address on the router. Something isn't correctly handshaking with the ISP services. I would contact the ISP and have them if possible reboot there modem or switch or release and renew the ISP IP address, then you, reset the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard soon after they have done there thing. They may have recorded the MAC address of the router on the other modem or switch and it needs to be released and moved or allowed at this new location...You weren't using any MAC Cloning were you?

Message 4 of 8
Vsagalovskiy
Aspirant

I was not using MAC cloning but I did try setting it up to use my laptops MAC address. I contacted my apartment and they said there currently are internet issues apartment-wide so I’ll update after I find out more. I guess it may have just been a coincidence that the move was at the same time.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 6 of 8
Vsagalovskiy
Aspirant

Sorry about the late reply, I still don't have internet but I got on the phone with the company that manages the apartment's internet. After speaking with them (apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology, I'm going off of memory) they determined that the ethernet port which should be functioning as a switch is giving me a private IP address rather than a public address and that the switches are all improperly configured. They tried having tier 3 support fixing it remotely but earlier today I got an email that they need to physically come in to fix the ethernet. Not super sure what I can do from here, but let me know if you think there is anything I can do from my end.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets wait for them to correct there issue. Yes, you should be getting a public IP address, not a private IP address on the WAN side of the router.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7