Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi choosing wireless backhaul when wired is available?

ArthurP
Aspirant

Orbi choosing wireless backhaul when wired is available?

I have the Orbi router and two satellites running wired into a TP link switch.  But the satellites connect to the router over the wireless backhaul.  The satellites use the wired connection to connect to each other but not the router! The third satellite is only wireless, as it should be.

My intuition is that the wired connection would always be preferred because it is more reliable, higher bandwidth and faster(?).  Is something wrong here or is this normal behavior? Thanks.E4040494-EB65-427A-969E-D8CC54432ED1.png

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi choosing wireless backhaul when wired is available?

@ArthurP wrote:

I have the Orbi router and two satellites running wired into a TP link switch.  But the satellites connect to the router over the wireless backhaul.  The satellites use the wired connection to connect to each other but not the router! The third satellite is only wireless, as it should be.

My intuition is that the wired connection would always be preferred because it is more reliable, higher bandwidth and faster(?).  Is something wrong here or is this normal behavior?

Unfortunately, Netgearis forum software package does not allow others to view images that are placed "in-line" using the Photos icon in the menu bar until the images are approved by a forum moderator. There are not many moderators, so this can take hours (or days). Images "attached" using the Browse button in the lower left of the edit panel appear immediately.

• Which specific TP-Link switch is being used?
  • Orbi routers expect satellites to appear on LAN ports, not on the WAN port, so it is important that the switch is connected to an Orbi LAN port ('behind' the Orbi) rather than between the Orbi and the ISP modem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@ArthurP wrote:

My intuition is that the wired connection would always be preferred because it is more reliable, higher bandwidth and faster(?).  Is something wrong here or is this normal behavior?

Unfortunately, Netgearis forum software package does not allow others to view images that are placed "in-line" using the Photos icon in the menu bar until the images are approved by a forum moderator. There are not many moderators, so this can take hours (or days). Images "attached" using the Browse button in the lower left of the edit panel appear immediately.

• Which specific TP-Link switch is being used?
  • Orbi routers expect satellites to appear on LAN ports, not on the WAN port, so it is important that the switch is connected to an Orbi LAN port ('behind' the Orbi) rather than between the Orbi and the ISP modem.
Message 2 of 6
ArthurP
Aspirant

Thanks.  I'm using the ‎TP-Link TL-SG1016PE 16 port POE router.  I have not done any management, just plug and go.  I have moved the satellite cables from the swtich to the router but I had to leave before I could check the status.  I'll report what I find when I go back

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my.  The TP-Link TL-SG1016PE is far from a dumb switch.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/easy-smart-switch/tl-sg1016pe/#specifications 

PoE, VLAN's, IGMP Snooping,

Will be interesting to hear how it goes.

Message 4 of 6
ArthurP
Aspirant

Connecting the satellites to the Orbi itself rather than the switch did the trick Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7