Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi compatibility

Cornish27
Guide

Orbi compatibility

I am thinking of ditching my ASUS TR-AC68U in favour of an Orbi soution. Will an Orbi mesh set up work well with my ASUS AC68U PC network card

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi compatibility

Ok, the distance is something to keep in mind for Orib and the satellite(s)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll have to try it out and see. Most Ethernet/WiFi adapters cards work well with Orbi. 

What is the exact model# of this adapter card? 

Is this card wifi or Ethernet? 

How old is this card? 

@Cornish27 wrote:

I am thinking of ditching my ASUS TR-AC68U in favour of an Orbi soution. Will an Orbi mesh set up work well with my ASUS AC68U PC network card

Message 2 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

The PCE version of the AC68u is similar to the RT specs and I would venture that you will have similar or better router performance with the Orbi with RBR40 (or better) within the same main router range and added satellite(s) will give you significantly improved coverage. But as @FURRYe38  says, mileage may vary and the return policy on where you would buy Orbi is important. My experience with going from an RT AC68u to Orbi was slightly better close in router performance and a major change in home coverage and options where I could place a 4K TV for streaming.

Message 3 of 14
Cornish27
Guide

Thanks @FURRYe38 and @ JoeCymru

I find the range of the RT AC68U poor although everything else is pretty good. My issue is range down a long thin house. I have a recent AC 68U network card that seems to work with most things e.g. my ISP provided modem/router (the router bit of it being very poor!)

I don't want to have to change the network card, but I don't think Netgear makes one, (only USB adapters?) so if I want to use the Orbi RBK50, I might as well try with my existing card

I buy through Amazon so the returns situation is covered

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try with the adapter and see how it works first, then see if you need to upgrade the adapter or not. 

@Cornish27 wrote:

Thanks @FURRYe38 and @ JoeCymru

I find the range of the RT AC68U poor although everything else is pretty good. My issue is range down a long thin house. I have a recent AC 68U network card that seems to work with most things e.g. my ISP provided modem/router (the router bit of it being very poor!)

I don't want to have to change the network card, but I don't think Netgear makes one, (only USB adapters?) so if I want to use the Orbi RBK50, I might as well try with my existing card

I buy through Amazon so the returns situation is covered

Message 5 of 14
Cornish27
Guide

Yup, that's my plan. I will let you know what happened

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
The distance between the router and satellite(s) should be 30 feet, is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 7 of 14
Cornish27
Guide

Squ ft not so huge, but it's over three floors and long! About 90 ft. Have to cover my office on top floor and entertainment at the other end on the ground floor

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, the distance is something to keep in mind for Orib and the satellite(s)

Message 9 of 14
Cornish27
Guide

So I tried it. Mega result! Absolutely no compatibility issues with the PCE card. And the sytem has delivered twice the speed and coverage of the ASUS system it replaces.

Shock horror!! Product provides everything it says on the tin! Great system!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

Great news.... no issues in setup or config!?

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working well for you. Enjoy the system. Smiley Wink

@Cornish27 wrote:

So I tried it. Mega result! Absolutely no compatibility issues with the PCE card. And the sytem has delivered twice the speed and coverage of the ASUS system it replaces.

Shock horror!! Product provides everything it says on the tin! Great system!

Message 12 of 14
Cornish27
Guide

No issues really.

It does take forever to do its thing, recognising the satellite for example. But if you have patience it's fine

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Its doing a handskaking routine is all, between it and the orbi, finding best single to use. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7