Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi configuration

diftimi
Follower

Orbi configuration

Hello.

I intend to replace my current wifi setup at home from a router + 3 APs (gigabit wired) to an Orbi system, the RBK53.

I've seen that the recomended way to pair the satellites with the Orbi router is through wifi but I'd personally prefer to use the existing wired gigabit infrastructure for the satellites also.

Is there any problem by doing this? Do the Orbi satellites sync with the Orbi router only wirelessly?

The surface I need to cover is not extremely big but there are a lot of reinforced concrete walls that have a quite big impact on WiFi signal quality and the only reason for switching from my current setup to Orbi would be to have a proper wifi mesh and eliminate the roaming APs problems that I currently experience.

Thank you.,

Dragos.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10

the orbi does not currently connect to its sats via ethernet at all 

it would not make sense to buy the orbi if you already have structured cabling 

@diftimi wrote:

the only reason for switching from my current setup to Orbi would be to have a proper wifi mesh and eliminate the roaming APs problems that I currently experience.

Thank you.,

Dragos.

the orbi does not run in mesh 

you still roam between transmission 

so in reality the orbi is going to solve nothing for you 

---------------------------------------------

what i do suggest is you look at the ubiquiti unifi ac ap's with zero handoff to take care of the roaming 

Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I would not recommend this product due to its weak security features. While it gives strong WiFi signals but weak security has stopped me from using the product for serious business use. Take for example, when connected to Orbi, many applications prompt and warn me of the risk of unauthenticated security risk. Its MAC address access control is disabled when you set up Orbi as Access Point. And even if you set it up as a router and enabled its MAC address control, blocked devices can still connect to Orbi which is unusual.

So, instead of burning of my money and throw away this expensive toy, I turned off its Wifi and use it as a ethernet port for connection to my TV in a WiFi restricted corner of my house. No, unless Netgear resolves this security issue, I would not recommend buying this product which is very expensive and not worth the money.

Message 3 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

I don't use MAC address control so I can't comment on whether blocked devices can still connect, but what do you mean by "many applications prompt and warn me of the risk of unauthenticated security risk"?  I've not seen that or heard of it from others on this board.  Without more detail and understanding what's going on we cannot measure your claim, in your only post on this board and in this unrelated topic, that Orbi has unacceptable security.

Message 4 of 10
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

@Retired_Member your description of the issue makes me believe that this is related to user related misconfiguration and not a problem with the security of the Orbi, can you post proof of your claim and elaborate more on the supposed security risk?

Message 5 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

When I setup Orbi as Access Point, many applications such as iTune, Outlook, Firefox, Fantastical or online banking portal etc., would prompt me with a security warning that the certificate is unauthenticated. This is what I meant.
I never encounter any such warning when I use Apple Extreme previously. I wrote to Netgear but they never directly responded this.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Are you a judge or what? Why should I proof this to you?

I have been playing around with NAS and routers for more than 10 years and if I can configure brands like Cisco, Linksys, D-Link, Apple Extreme, Asus and an old Netgear router previously, I don't believe I have misconfigured the Orbi.

Message 7 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

Sorry, but web security certificates have nothing to do with your router or wireless.  This is why we want more info to investigate and explain what's going on for you.

Message 8 of 10
William10a
Master

How does the Orbi setup can you your pc and lan cable connection or does it use a smart phone wifi connection thinking about going a Orbi on or two pack only about 1100 square foot to cover.

Message 9 of 10
st_shaw
Master

You set it up using your PC and a LAN cable. The interface is similar to other Netgear routers. There is also the Netgear Genie and an Orbi app you can download onto your phone to view and change some settings later, but the apps are limited.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7