Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi connection to Xfinity modem router

Hirgs
Aspirant

Orbi connection to Xfinity modem router

I purchased an Orbi and 2 satellite package from Costco and am connecting to Xfinity modem/router combo.  Am I better off bridging the xfinity modem router and setting the Orbi up as the main router, or should I leave the xfinity router on and set up Orbi as an Acess Point. What are the benefits to each approach?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi connection to Xfinity modem router

Hello Hirgs

I would suggest bridging the Comcast modem and make orbi the main router so you have 1 wifi network and less wifi interference.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3

Re: Orbi connection to Xfinity modem router

@Hirgs wrote:

I purchased an Orbi and 2 satellite package from Costco and am connecting to Xfinity modem/router combo.  Am I better off bridging the xfinity modem router and setting the Orbi up as the main router, or should I leave the xfinity router on and set up Orbi as an Acess Point. What are the benefits to each approach?

there is no real benefits as such its just a matter of which device is used as the router and controls everything

bridging the Xfinity turns it into a transparent bridge between the isp and the orbi behind it ( note your isp must ether use pppoe or ipoe as if they only use pppoa it wont work ) , the orbi then does all the routing and wifi

leaving the Xfinity in router mode and setting the orbi to ap mode means the Xfinity does all the routing and you just turn off its wifi and the orbi just does wifi

so decide which has the better routing functionality and use it

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7