Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi connection with AT&T Uverse Switch

TXCISCO11
Aspirant

Orbi connection with AT&T Uverse Switch

Just purchased the Orbi RBK22 and will be connecting to an AT&T Uverse router/modem.  I am not very familiar with or savvy when it comes to networking so looking for advice on best method to connect.  It uses an AT&A NVG599 modem/router.  All the internet ports are used for either TV's/DVR, work IP phone and Netgear 8 port switch.  Could the Orbi system be connected through the Netgear 8 port switch?  If so, what settings would need to be adjusted on both the AT&T modem/router and the Orbi system?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

There are two options.  Pick only one.

1. Enable IP Passthrough under the NVG599's Firewall settings and point it at the Orbi.  The Orbi will become the main router for most of your devices.  You should move the Netgear switch and any devices connected to it from the Uverse gateway to the Orbi.  But keep any Uverse DVRs connected to the Uverse gateway.  Uverse TV/Direct TV uses IP Multicast, which Netgear doesn't handle well.  Don't use the Uverse Wi-Fi networks for your main devices.  OTOH, you can use them as an isolated network for guests or IoT devices.
  2. Set up the Orbi as an Access Point (AP) by enabling AP under Advanced Settings.  The Uverse gateway will continue to operate as your main router.  If you like, you can set up the Orbi's Wi-Fi networks to use the same SSID as the Uverse gateway.  Use different, non-overlapping Wi-Fi channels to prevent the Orbi and Uverse gateway from fighting each other for airtime.
Message 2 of 4
TXCISCO11
Aspirant

Thank you!  I am going to go with option #2.  Where would the settings be found and what would I need to do in order to have the two use the same SSID and modify the Wifi channels?  Am very much a newbie to this.

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

I'm not familiar with the RBK22, but AP mode on other Netgear routers is usually found under Advanced settings.

As far as changing the SSID and channel, you can do that under the Wi-Fi settings.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7