Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi continues to struggle with Kasa Cams

Skyeclad
Tutor

Orbi continues to struggle with Kasa Cams

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can assist me with a set of TP-Link Kasa Cameras and Orbi problems that I've been having. In short, the Kasa Cams randomly lose the network connection and are not able to reconnect to Orbi no matter how many times both are reset. This issue was posted previously and marked as solved but unfortunately the "solution" is to return the  Orbi router to factory default and then restore backed up settings. 

I keep going back and forth thinking it's a TP-Link problem or an Orbi problem but I can't figure it out. For some reason, after a few days/weeks with solid connectivity, a single device or all of them suddenly drops off the network and will not reconnect even after power cycling or resetting back to factory default on the device. This leads me to think that the Orbi is the culprit but why?? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Sats-refusing-some-device-connections-ecobee-amp/m-...

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi continues to struggle with Kasa Cams

When you reset the camera and try to attach it agian to Orbi, where does the procedure get stopped? Or when does it go wrong?

Also few things to check:

1. Please disable Access Control if you have it enabled. You can find Access Contro in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Security >> Access Control
  2. Please make IP reservation on Orbi for the cameras, you will need the MAC addresses of the cameras to do the reservations. You can do the IP reservations under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> LAN Setup
Message 2 of 7
Skyeclad
Tutor

Ok, I did both of these things and factory reset the camera that was unable to join the network. I was able to re-establish a connection which is good but not unheard of.

Now that we're a couple of days later, a different Kasa Cam is having connectivity issues. This time that camera has an IP reservation. When I look at the cloud app, it seems like the camera is intermittently connecting but is struggling to maintain a connection, i.e. cloud videos are showing upload issues...I'm unable to watch live video even though the camera itself is detected. 

I'm not sure if the problem lies with the Kasa Cam or Orbi. Right now, I'm having problems with individual cameras. Before, I lost all of them at once...two times. For the prior issues, I was unable to get any of the cameras to reconnect until I factory reset the Orbi router and restored all of the settings from file. 

Is there a log or something that will help diagnose the issues?

Message 3 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

What Orbi do you have?  RBR50?

And what is your firmware version?  

Message 4 of 7
Skyeclad
Tutor

I have the RBR50 and 2 satellites. I think I have the latest public firmware 2.2.1.210  but I'll check when I get home to be sure.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Can update if your system has not updated yet:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

@Skyeclad wrote:

I have the RBR50 and 2 satellites. I think I have the latest public firmware 2.2.1.210  but I'll check when I get home to be sure.

Message 6 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Skyeclad wrote:

That is not the latest version.  Recommend you click ont he link @FURRYe38 gave above and update to .32 firmware before any more troubleshooting.  It may solve your issue.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7