Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi cut my speed in 1/2

kelvin1128
Tutor

Orbi cut my speed in 1/2

I currently have Verizon Fios gigabit internet, when I connect my laptop via Cat5E directly to the Fios Gateway, I get about 800 mbps. However when I do the same speed test right next to the "home base" Orbi which is right next to the Verizon Gateway (connected via cat5e) the speed drops to 280 ~290 MBPS. Tried updating firmware, changing cables and went through all the settings in both the Verizon Gatway and Orbi setup to no avail. Any ideas?

BTW Verizon gateway wireless are off (2.4 and 5GHZ) and Orbi in AP mode as recommended 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
OrbiMan
Luminary

Try to go to the QOS settings in the advance tab run speed test there. See if that reset anything. If not u can try to disable the QOS to see if it help. Orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
OrbiMan
Luminary

Try to go to the QOS settings in the advance tab run speed test there. See if that reset anything. If not u can try to disable the QOS to see if it help. Orbilogin.net/QOS_main.htm
Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Is your laptop wired to Orbi or is it connected tobOrbi via WiFi? It's not clear from your description.
Message 3 of 6
kelvin1128
Tutor

Thanks @OrbiMan the speed test from qos setup shows a little better speed, around 500 mbps but still slower than directly from fios gateway

Message 4 of 6
kelvin1128
Tutor

@st_shaw both actually, hardwire and wireless..

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Wired or wireless makes a difference. With your laptop wired to the Orbi Router you should get your full speed. Wired to the satellite you should get around 500 Mbps. Wireless will be slower and you should get between 200 and 450 Mbps, depending on the laptop's capabilities.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7