Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi cuts download speed in half. Upload seems fine.

willzyx
Initiate

Orbi cuts download speed in half. Upload seems fine.

Hello,

I have an RBR50 (router and 1 satelite). My download speeds hardwired and advertised as 300mbps/300mbps or sometimes higher. However, my Orbi cuts my download speed in half every time. Download usually taps out at 160mbps if I'm lucky, most of the time lower. Upload speeds are constant 300+mbps as they should be. 

What could possible force my RBR50 to cut my download speed so drastically? I tried disabling and enabling QoS and no difference. If I'm hardwired into the wall jack, the download speed is at 300mbps+, so something is up with the router. I have gigabit internet connection. I also tried 2 differnet RBR50s. If I run the built-in Ookla test on Orbi app, it shows 300mbps up/down. 

Now, I'm not complaining about those speeds, but since I'm paying for 300mbps+, I would rather see the router reach those speeds. 

Help would be appreciated. 

Running latest firmware (V2.1.1.16) 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 2

Re: Orbi cuts download speed in half. Upload seems fine.

Are you on the latest firmware? I was having a similar bug on 2.0.0.74 where my speeds were capped at 200mbps despite our connection being a 1Gbps one. We were using VLAN tagging (requirement by the ISP), and switching the Orbi to AP mode and having a separate router handle the VLAN tagging seemed to do the trick. Now back up to 500Mbps.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7