Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi did not reconnect after power outage

lowepg
Apprentice

Orbi did not reconnect after power outage

This is the 3rd time this has happened in as many months.

Power drops during a storm, come back on quickly. Cable modem resets, connects to internet (I can test this easily).

Orbi, however, refuses to connect to the internet. Tried power cycling, recycling modem, etc.

This is a repeatable issue as it’s happened exactly the same way multiple times. Finally, after like a day- it starts working!?!

Cable tech came out and theorized somehow the orbi isn’t releasing the the ip addresses assigned when it reboots and I have so many devices - it runs out of address space.

Only reason he thought that was because nothing was working on my network (even the wired stuff), and when he unplugged the pedi from the router- all the other Devices hard wired to my cable modem started working! So the orbi was not only
Failing to work- but somehow screwing up all the other devices on the network?

I know it sounds unlikely, but the same issue has repeated itself.
Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi did not reconnect after power outage

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Have you set up some IP address reservations for all of your devices ON the router? 

How many devices do you have? 

You can try what I set up for my friends Orbi router and see if this help any:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Set up a similar IP address pool, then start adding IP address reservations for your devices with in this pool. 

Message 2 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

This issue falls into the category "they all do that." You can find threads discussing this on this forum. Even a split-second power glitch would crash my network until I powered off and on my modem, router, and Orbis in specific order and with long wait times in between each Orbi power-on. It has nothing to do with your modem type or your cable service.

All I can suggest is to do what I did and put all your network devices on UPSes. You can find decent UPSes for these low-current-draw devices as cheap as US$40. Having your WiFi continue to work during an outage is a bonus, too.

"when he unplugged the pedi from the router" - what's a pedi?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

PS, I forgot to mention that this problem anecdotally is worse when using wired backhaul, which I am. Some users with wireless backhaul report not having this issue. How’s your backhaul set up, lowepg?

Message 4 of 11
lowepg
Apprentice

Mix of wired and wireless backhaul.

Restarting network without wired backhaul
Seemed to allow me to recover faster this time.
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 11
striola
Guide

I use wired backhaul and have the same issue of my Orbi system (RBR20 + 2 RBS satellites) not having any functionality after a power outage. Unplugging the ethernet cable from both satellites "fixes" the problem and the Orbi system works again (I don't need to power cycle). I then need to reconnect the wired backhaul on each satellite (which sometimes works on the first try and sometimes takes some trial and error).

Message 7 of 11
striola
Guide

UPDATE: Lost power briefly last night and I have been unable to get wired backhaul working again. Tried cycling power, synch button etc. with no luck. Especially frustrating because wired backhaul will work for a few minute while LED flashes white, LED then turns amber and Orbi no longer functions, LED then turns solid blue and Orbi no longer functions. As soon as I remove the Ethernet cable, Orbi works properly. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
I would do a factory reset on the router and satellite and set up from scratch. Try disabling the following:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Turn OFF ALL other devices accept for 1 wired PC with the router. Walk thru the setup wizard. Skip adding the satellites during the wizard. After you set up the router and give a new SSID and PW and the router is rebooted. Go in and sync the router and 1 satellite first. You can do this in the same room with the router and satellites. After you get one synced, set an IP address reservation for the 1 satellite. Add, Save and Apply. Then connect the LAN cable to the 1 satellite. Wait 5 minutes. The top LED should turn on BLUE. If so, Turn off the satellite and then the satellite in there remote locations with the Lan cable connected there.

Begin to turn on the rest of the home devices.

Message 9 of 11
striola
Guide

UPDATE: Before trying FURRYe38's procedure I tried simply plugging the ethernet cable back into a satellite that was already wirelessly connected (5G). Pressed the Synch button (not sure that is necessary or not) and wired connected was successfully established in a few seconds. It should be stable until the next power disruption - no idea why the wired connected is sometimes successfully established and other times not. I did not change any settings in between attempts.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Pressing the sync button isn't necessary. Just plug in the lan cable and it should automatically reconfigure the connection.

Disable Daisy Chain as well on the router.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7