Reply

Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?

lgm1234
Aspirant

Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?

I read many threads regarding disconnection problem on Mac devices, but the case I have is my iPhone 7 Plus will disconnect from the Orbi wifi network when the screen goes of automatically. When I turn the screen on I can see the wifi icon but there is no signal and it will switch to 4G then switch to wifi again. My Orbi is on v1.12.0.18 firmware version. 

I have iPhone 6, iPhone 6S Plus, iMac, Samsung Note 5, Alexa, and many other wifi devices, all of them without problem. There is no problem when I have using Velop, Asus AC3200 etc..

 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?

Hello Igm1234

 

Did you check the settings of the Iphone I know my android phone has a option to disconnect from the wifi when the screen goes off.

 

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
lgm1234
Aspirant

Re: Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?


@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Igm1234

 

Did you check the settings of the Iphone I know my android phone has a option to disconnect from the wifi when the screen goes off.

 

DarrenM


The problem only exists when connected to Orbi... There is no same problem in my office or with other wifi router. 

Message 3 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?

Unless the iPhone is plugged in, the iPhone shutdowns WiFi to conserve battery power within about 10 seconds of the screen going off.  This is normal and is just how the iPhones work.  I don't think you can change the behavior.  I just tested this with my iPhone 7 and Orbi. They way you test this is by pinging your iPhone continuously from a computer.

 

What's not normal is the iPhone should reconnect very fast when powered back on. So fast that it may show being connected by the time the display lights back up.

 

So, your issue is with slow reconnecting, not with disconnecting when the screen goes off. There could be a problem with your iPhone 7.

 

Maybe try forgetting the Orbi network on the iPhone and reconnecting.

Message 4 of 7
lgm1234
Aspirant

Re: Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?


@st_shaw wrote:

Unless the iPhone is plugged in, the iPhone shutdowns WiFi to conserve battery power within about 10 seconds of the screen going off.  This is normal and is just how the iPhones work.  I don't think you can change the behavior.  I just tested this with my iPhone 7 and Orbi. They way you test this is by pinging your iPhone continuously from a computer.

 

What's not normal is the iPhone should reconnect very fast when powered back on. So fast that it may show being connected by the time the display lights back up.

 

So, your issue is with slow reconnecting, not with disconnecting when the screen goes off. There could be a problem with your iPhone 7.

 

Maybe try forgetting the Orbi network on the iPhone and reconnecting.


Thanks for the information. 

Be honestly, I don't think nowaday mobile phone will shutdowns/disconnect WIFI to save battery power when screen going off. What if I don't have mobile data connection but only WIFI connection and screen off? If the phone will shutdown the WIFI, that's mean I will not receive any whatsapp, email or push notification.. (this is what I am worried now with the Orbi). 

 

The behavior is: iPhone screen goes off automatically (for example after 2 minutes), when I push button to turn on iPhone screen, I can see the WIFI icon with no signal strength, then WIFI icon disapper and changed to 4G, and then WIFI turn on again with signal strength after 2-3 seconds. 

 

Another point is, my iPhone don't have this behavior in my office and other public WIFI area. And there is no similar behavior before I switch to Orbi (Linksys Velop, Asus AC3200 ,Asus AC88U). 

 

I will try and clean the WIFI setting on both iPhone and Orbi to have a try. Hopefully the problem can be fixed. 

 

THANKS!

Message 5 of 7
martyfp
Luminary

Re: Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?

It seems like this is a general issue with iPhones in general....  for example, see this thread :

 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8027390?start=0&tstart=0

 

 

We see pretty much the same behavior on my wife's iphone7.   In the orbi logs, I can see dhcp requests being made each time the iphone7 comes out of lock mode so it is clearly disconnecting.   What is interesting though is that  I don't see the same for our other two iPhones so something is different between the devices.

 

For us it's not really a problem, I only noticed it when looking at the Orbi logs and noticed all of the frequent  dhcp requests from one device.

 

 

Message 6 of 7
lgm1234
Aspirant

Re: Orbi disconnect once iPhone 7 screen off?


@martyfp wrote:

It seems like this is a general issue with iPhones in general....  for example, see this thread :

 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8027390?start=0&tstart=0

 

 

We see pretty much the same behavior on my wife's iphone7.   In the orbi logs, I can see dhcp requests being made each time the iphone7 comes out of lock mode so it is clearly disconnecting.   What is interesting though is that  I don't see the same for our other two iPhones so something is different between the devices.

 

For us it's not really a problem, I only noticed it when looking at the Orbi logs and noticed all of the frequent  dhcp requests from one device.

 

 


Yes, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S got no problem.. The reason I asked here it is because, if it is iPhone 7+ WIFI problem, it should be happened in most WIFI network but what I experienced is only in Orbi network (at least tried about 15 different WIFI networks myself). That's why I suspect it is the problem of Orbi communicating with iPhone 7+, not sure what type of command or parameter passed from iPhone 7+ to Orbi or Orbi passed to iPhone 7+ to make this happened. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 875 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements