Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi disconnecting continously

Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Re: Orbi disconnecting continously

The disconnection issue is obviously​ proving to be a nightmare.

It's probably all hands to the pump to get it sorted.

But maybe some focus on the wired back haul would help some users to get a more stable environment. I appreciate is not ideal but sometimes offering a token can go a long way.

Other systems have done it, including Daisy chain so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Just a thought.
Message 51 of 84
JRE72
Tutor

I've been having a ton of drops on my iPad and iPhone as well. Driving me nuts. Haven't noticed it with my Macbook though suddenly my wife's MB Air will no longer connect to the wifi (hasn't been a problem for the last month or so since it was installed). I may request the beta firmware as well...

Darren, is there a ballpark ETA for the firmware to come out of beta (or a goal at least)? I understand that reality doesn't always match up to plans but some idea would be helpful. I don't want to mess with a beta firmware if the stable version is expected to be released in the next few weeks. If we are looking at months, yeah, sign me up.

Message 52 of 84
Flyerhjs
Tutor

I had the orbi for 3 weeks. Updated to the latest firmware, constant disconnects, on phone with netgear for hours, could not fix it. Sent the orbi back, got the linksys velop, works perfectly, no drops, a true mesh sytem. No more headaches and more features.
Message 53 of 84
Flyerhjs
Tutor

Message 54 of 84
Flyerhjs
Tutor

BTW, I'm not a novice but an experienced LAN/wireless person.
Message 55 of 84
Kulpdogg
Guide

Hello,

So I have been trying to solve the same issue for days now. My current setup involves an ethernet connected from my Fios ONT box into their Fios router. This router has the wireless disabled but is acting as the router. There is ethernet from the Fios router into a Cujo box (more on that later). Then from the Cujo to the Orbi. The Cujo was in bridge mode. I have my Orbi set as an AP. I have my main Orbi in my living room, and the second upstaires in my office. I am terrible at measuring distance, but they aren't that far apart. Also I am upgraded to the latest firmware on both Orbis.

When I first got the unit it was working great. I would say this lasted for roughly a month or two. As of last week (or around there) we started to notice a lot more issues with our internet slowing down and frequent disconnects. We have 150 up/down so the speed from the ISP isn't the issue. Also, when I say slow down I am referring not really to file download speeds but rather to web pages loading, iPhone app's loading info (for example BestBuy loading their products or perform a search, Instagram loading pictures), and streaming tv/movie frequent buffering.

The other issue we were/are having (at the same time) is with our Dropcam. Frequently we would get the notification that our camera was offline and then would return backonline very shortly after. After reading more on the forums here we took the advice and turned off Beamforming and MIMO and it solved that issue, but also took away functionality...

Now, for the long troubleshooting tests we have taken. We have tried almost every Orbi software configuration we could think of. We also tried, and still have, removing the Cujo from the setup to rule that out. When we removed it the issues were still there and exactly the same. We have left it removed to keep it out of the trouble equation. We have tried with beamforming and MIMO on, turning one off and the leaving the other on, to leaving them both off. Also we would reboot both the Orbi and Fios router inbetween each setting change. Next I tried disabling the 2.4ghz radio and pushing everything onto the 5ghz thinking maybe there was a problem with the Orbi assigning bands, but the problem presisted. I reenabled the 2.4 ghz and unplugged our satellite Orbi. This happened later last night and as of so far it seemed stable, granted I am not home yet to get a true feeling for it.

So by my wonky troubleshooting methods it would seem that there is a problem with the backhaul betwee the two Orbis. If there is beta software available I would LOVE to try it out and test out whoever possible. If anyone has any other solutions please please let me know. The only other thing I really haven't tried is removing the Fios router from the equation, but that is only because my ONT is outside and I would have to fish cable through and terminate ends as an RJ45 won't fit through the hole.

Message 56 of 84
JRE72
Tutor

I requested the beta software. Those that have installed it, I'd love to see more updates as to how it's working out for you!

Message 57 of 84
jleecloak1
Apprentice

I had high hopes for the beta firmware but it doesn't fix the problem. So you might want to stick with your current firmware. I think they really need to pull more people into the development team for Orbi because this problem has been going on for way too long.

Message 58 of 84
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Beta firmware made the problem,much worse for me. Both 2.4 and 5GHz bands started dropping constantly in addition to the always dropping backhaul.
Message 59 of 84
JRE72
Tutor

Well that's disappointing. Smiley Frustrated

Message 60 of 84
AZTravelGuy
Tutor

I had been working fine for about 4 weeks after it magically settled down.  I relocated the base and cable modem to their permanent home (had been finishing my basement in a new home), and the problem of frequent drops returned.  Sometimes I have to reset it, sometimes it manages to reset itself.  

I had such high hopes for this mythical beta firmware as a resolution.  I'm sure someone or some team is doing their best to resolve this and other issues but I'm about done with the headache.  I prefer the more granular control Orbi provides but I'm thinking about splurging on the Linksys Velop, or givng Samsung's new mesh offering a try when it's release in a month.  I'll sell the Orbi units on Ebay for a song.  

Message 61 of 84
ikjadoon
Star

Just bought the Orbi and I'm having this exact same issue: it's beyond quite frustrating. Our Satellite goes magenta every few hours. It comes back in about ~30 seconds, but that destroys VOIP, Skype, and all other telecommunication sessions. Not good enough, Netgear.

I'm on V1.10.1.2, which seems at least 3-4 versions newer than when this problem was first reported.

Insane this is happening on a $400+ router system. Besides this, the system is great. Except when it happens, you want to chuck a book at the router. First Netgear purchase. Don't make it my last, mates. 

Message 62 of 84
Dan_O
Initiate

Hey Darren, I'm having the same issue as everyone else here. Can I get a link for the beta firmware?
Thanks
Message 63 of 84
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Dan_O

I have sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 64 of 84
JRE72
Tutor

My biggest issue has been using my Sonos system. It drops quite often, goes silent, switches songs, becomes unreachable, etc. I've tried all kinds of changes with channels, various settings, moving the node, etc but it still persists when streaming from my iPhone or iPad. It doesn't seem to happen at all if I stream from my MacBook Pro and I never seem to lose connectivity for surfing the web, etc.

It appears Sonos has issues with mesh networks in general and if you check the forums of the Velop, people are having the exact same issue. One solution recommended over there is to give separate SSID's to the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands which is not permissible on the Orbi.

Admittedly, I did have similar issues with the singly unit AC router I had previous but it was relatively rare, with the Orbi I can barely get through a single song without some sort of connectivity issue. If I'm stream through the Sonos itself (internet radio), it NEVER drops out...only when the music source is coming from my iPhone or iPad (or my wife's iPhone). It's very hard to pinpoing the root cause - the Sonos, iOS, or Orbi.

Message 65 of 84
Netexhausted
Guide

fwiw Here's my 2 cents. When speed drops. I look at my network map. When I see on it devices which are not used like dvd, cellphones , speakers or laptops, I disconnect them from the mesh. It improves the coverage in my home tremendously. RBR50 AC3000.

I'm not suggesting that this approach is the silver bullet for other problems except that this approach works for me.
Message 66 of 84
Kulpdogg
Guide

Small update:

So I have been working with this thing constantly to try and isolate what the root cause of this issue may be. i went back through and started isolating 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios on one and both Orbis, taking the Sat out of the picture, physically moving the units around the house, etc... The problem remained throughout each step. I decided one more time to reset to factory settings and try the default config first. Magically it worked.

The only difference is that I left it in router mode, vice AP. I still have the Verizon router in routing mode with the wifi radio off. While I am happy it is working, I am skeptical it will stay that way, and also angry that I couldn't narrow down what the actual fix was. I have access to the beta firmware, which I was going to install if the factory reset didn't work. It is now running the current stable release, both Orbis hooked up in their original places. I also left the Cujo out of the picture and will for about a week to ensure that everything remains stable, then put it in and see if anything changes.

I fully plan on watching this thread throughout and updating what happens with my unit(s). I also fully realize that MANY people are still having problems and want to do my best to help everyone out. If anyone wants any input from my network please don't hesitate to ask. Also, if anyone want's me to try anything (hopefully not too radical) I can also try that too.

Message 67 of 84
Kulpdogg
Guide

I also forgot to add that before I did the factory reset I noticed that on the home screen the number of Sats. keep moving back between 0 and 1 on a couple second basis. Since the reset it is holding steady at 1.

Message 68 of 84
Netexhausted
Guide

I seldom found reasons to grade/update the firmware. based my experience (25 years) they're rarely useful, you can not remedy bad design or poor mfg. QA of hardware with software. If the doesn't work within 24 hrs after installation, I return it and wait for the next version or buy a competing product.

Message 69 of 84
Charz
Initiate

Hi,

I read all this thread and so far it seems that there is no real solution, I have the latest firmware V1.11.0.20 and the problem still exists. For now I opted to turn off the satellite and only the main unit is on which gave me a more stable connection (not perfect tho, still have some rare random drops) but this made go back to the problem that I wanted to solve in the first place, dead zones, basically huge selling point of mesh wifi (eliminate dead zones). Ironic, right?

Could anyone tell me if there is something that I am missing or should I fight with amazon for a refund (my refund window is gone btw so I might be not in a good place)?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 70 of 84
Kulpdogg
Guide

Hey Charz,

Being in the industry believe me I hate saying what I am about to ask and apoligize in advance. Have you tried doing a factory reset? Knock on wood mine is still holding steady and the issue hasen't returned after doing it. The only variable I can think of is that the Orbi is now in Router mode instead of AP. I still have the Verizon router in-between the Fios ONT and my Orbi. My Cujo is still left out of the mix also, but I still highly doubt it had anything to do with my problem. Again sorry to ask, but just trying to narrow stuff down.

Message 71 of 84
Charz
Initiate

@Kulpdogg wrote:

Hey Charz,

Being in the industry believe me I hate saying what I am about to ask and apoligize in advance. Have you tried doing a factory reset? Knock on wood mine is still holding steady and the issue hasen't returned after doing it. The only variable I can think of is that the Orbi is now in Router mode instead of AP. I still have the Verizon router in-between the Fios ONT and my Orbi. My Cujo is still left out of the mix also, but I still highly doubt it had anything to do with my problem. Again sorry to ask, but just trying to narrow stuff down.

Thanks Kulpdogg

I am actually not an expert but very tech related and I can tell that I tried everything on this thread, except a beta firmware. Factory resets make it work for hours then an UNKNOWN thing happens (I clearly say unknown because I am the only one with the admin password for the router) and the router start dropping/connecting devices. Only LAN devices stay out of chaos.

On the brightside, since my refund window was off by a few days, I actually convinced Amazon to take it back and used this thread as proof. I hope any of you have the same luck.

It was good while it last (3 weeks), I am buying Linksys Velop but I will check forums first.

PD: Little tip when factory reseting, change the network name to a never used one (I know it is tedious since you will have to go device by device connecting to the new network but that is when I found it to be stable for a longer period of time)

Peace.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 72 of 84
Levenly
Initiate

I really wish I was able to read these forums prior to purchasing the Orbi. Just received mine last night and my cell phone does not stay connected at all. The positive reviews all raved about the router, but I can't maintain a solid connection. I live in a 2 flat apartment in an older building with concrete walls, so a regular router was unable to provide signal upstairs. The physical connection to the units are great, but the constant drops are a headache not even 24 hours into owning it. The latest firmware already has mu mimo disabled as well as beamfoaming, so by default, features of the router are disabled? That isn't reassuring. If I can't get this thing stable by Friday, I'm returning it. I've never returned something so fast, so I'll be heavily disappointed if that's the case, but y'all have had the same issues for half a year now...
Message 73 of 84
Netexhausted
Guide

Enter your router BASIC.....Advanced Setup...Wireless Settings. Select MU
Message 74 of 84
Netexhausted
Guide

Add to Edit: select Enable MU MIMO .
Message 75 of 84
Top Contributors