Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi disconnecting continously

sastafford
Initiate

Orbi disconnecting continously

My orbio says its connected then its not, over and over and over.  I had comcast come out to see what was wrong with our wifi.  we have a netgear router and an orbi system with 2 satalites.  the comcast tech, put the router in bridge mode to enable the orbi to work properly, well the orbi has rarly worked properly.  Now I cannot get router off bridge mode, because orbi and netgear app onl;y reconized orbi and not the netgear router.  I would like to throw out the orbi and go back to my router alone, but cannot get back because cannot no access to get out of bridge mode.  this whole thing is awful and there is no one to call or communicate with at netgear.  doubt this will help.  ready to throw all out and start over, but what a waste of money.

Message 1 of 9
JammasterC
Star

Re: Orbi disconnecting continously

Disconnect Orbi from Comcast equipment and power off.

To get the Comcast modem out of Bridge mode, you're going to have to reset it.

On the back of it there is a reset pin hole and the SSID name and password to start over.

Press and hold that little finnicky button for a 30 count. 

You know it's reset when you see the Comcast SSID in the Wifi Network Preferences.

Start the Comcast Modem setup, finishing with turning off the Wifi radios. 

When you're all good there, power off the Comcast modem and redo the Orbi setup.

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I suggest you try Option #2...

@sastafford wrote:

My orbio says its connected then its not, over and over and over.  I had comcast come out to see what was wrong with our wifi.  we have a netgear router and an orbi system with 2 satalites.  the comcast tech, put the router in bridge mode to enable the orbi to work properly, well the orbi has rarly worked properly.  Now I cannot get router off bridge mode, because orbi and netgear app onl;y reconized orbi and not the netgear router.  I would like to throw out the orbi and go back to my router alone, but cannot get back because cannot no access to get out of bridge mode.  this whole thing is awful and there is no one to call or communicate with at netgear.  doubt this will help.  ready to throw all out and start over, but what a waste of money.

Message 3 of 9
sastafford
Initiate

FW is up to date

Router is NG AC1900.  Model C7000 which is bridged and directly connected to the main orbi. The two satalites are on separate floors and the house is about 6k sq ft.  

I am on auto channel

and not sure how to change.  The only access to this is through the app and cant change anything.

about 6 neighbors wifi's show up

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So do you have another router behind the C7000? This AC1900? 

What mode is the Orbi running in? Router or AP mode? 

To make any changes to the router, you need to log in to the routers web page with a PC and web browser.

@sastafford wrote:

FW is up to date

Router is NG AC1900.  Model C7000 which is bridged and directly connected to the main orbi. The two satalites are on separate floors and the house is about 6k sq ft.  

I am on auto channel

and not sure how to change.  The only access to this is through the app and cant change anything.

about 6 neighbors wifi's show up

Message 5 of 9
d-One
Aspirant

I purchased this system in August 2018 no problems then in November 2018 the Orbi starts disconnecting and connecting. Out of no where the system starts malfuctioning. I did not update the FW because I am already running the latest that Netgear has published for the RBR50. I did not change anything else with my setup it just started disconnecting. How do I know it is diconnecting? Because the Disney Circle App that Orbi uses for parental controls tells me everytime the system disconnects and everytime it reconnects! So, the Real question everyone wants to know is "What the Hell is Netgear going to do about this problem!" This is a known issue that has been going on for a long time. As much as these systems cost we the people expect a lot better for our hard earned money! Before you start fishing for excuses...I am running the lastes firmware, Orbi is my router directly connected to the FIOS ONT. This was not a problem for the first three months of operation, then out of NO Where is just starts disconnecting! I selected this system because after hours of research I was convinced that this was the best option. Then I went All In and purchased a ReadyNAS and a Nighthawk S8000 Switch, which are all affected by the intermittent operation of the Orbi! So again the question is "What is Netgear going to do to resolve this issue!"

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

What devices do you have connected to the Orbi? 

Is the S8000 switch have QoS enabled? QoS  should be disabled on it. 

Was Orbi working before the addition of NAS and the switch? 

How was the FW updated? Auto update or manually load FW files? 

@d-One wrote:

I purchased this system in August 2018 no problems then in November 2018 the Orbi starts disconnecting and connecting. Out of no where the system starts malfuctioning. I did not update the FW because I am already running the latest that Netgear has published for the RBR50. I did not change anything else with my setup it just started disconnecting. How do I know it is diconnecting? Because the Disney Circle App that Orbi uses for parental controls tells me everytime the system disconnects and everytime it reconnects! So, the Real question everyone wants to know is "What the Hell is Netgear going to do about this problem!" This is a known issue that has been going on for a long time. As much as these systems cost we the people expect a lot better for our hard earned money! Before you start fishing for excuses...I am running the lastes firmware, Orbi is my router directly connected to the FIOS ONT. This was not a problem for the first three months of operation, then out of NO Where is just starts disconnecting! I selected this system because after hours of research I was convinced that this was the best option. Then I went All In and purchased a ReadyNAS and a Nighthawk S8000 Switch, which are all affected by the intermittent operation of the Orbi! So again the question is "What is Netgear going to do to resolve this issue!"

Message 7 of 9
d-One
Aspirant

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? 
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?    As previously stated Orbi is directly connected to the FIOS ONT in Router mode, there is no modem.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?   2000 SqFt.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.  20 feet max, closer to 18 feet.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  What does "Near By" mean? Of course neighbors have Wi-Fi, why wouldn't they? Why would Netgear build a system that is easily interfered by other signals? What does this fishing question even mean?
What WPA security modes are you using?   WPA2-PSK

What devices do you have connected to the Orbi?  All of my wi-fi enabled devices (e.g. TV, Chromecast(s), laptops, tablet, NAS, switch)

Is the S8000 switch have QoS enabled? QoS  should be disabled on it.  The S8000 is a new addition to may network. Orbi started disconnecting two months before I added the switch.

Was Orbi working before the addition of NAS and the switch? The NAS has always been there. As previously stated, the first three months of operation the Orbi worked fine without issue then in November 2018 it started randomly disconnecting.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@d-One wrote:

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?    As previously stated Orbi is directly connected to the FIOS ONT in Router mode, there is no modem.
If the ONT has a built in router, then you need to try one of the following:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I recommend option #2 first. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?   2000 SqFt.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.  20 feet max, closer to 18 feet.

Your distance is too close. The overlap on wifi signals between the router and satellite need to be farther out. The router alone can cover up to about 30 feet to start. Mines at 40 feet. Zero issues with this setting. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  What does "Near By" mean? Of course neighbors have Wi-Fi, why wouldn't they? Why would Netgear build a system that is easily interfered by other signals? What does this fishing question even mean?

Reason for asking is that any wifi router can be inpacted by nieghboring signals, also the more singals you have near by, the more crouded the area is and channel usage is worse for router to find a clear channel to use. This is called wifi congestion and can cause problems. Nature of the beast. Routers are not perfect. 

Setting a manual channel can help with this as well. 

What WPA security modes are you using?   WPA2-PSK

What devices do you have connected to the Orbi?  All of my wi-fi enabled devices (e.g. TV, Chromecast(s), laptops, tablet, NAS, switch)

Is the S8000 switch have QoS enabled? QoS  should be disabled on it.  The S8000 is a new addition to may network. Orbi started disconnecting two months before I added the switch.

Was Orbi working before the addition of NAS and the switch? The NAS has always been there. As previously stated, the first three months of operation the Orbi worked fine without issue then in November 2018 it started randomly disconnecting.

Let us know if the suggestions help...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7