Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi disconnecting from modem

Pictone
Aspirant

Orbi disconnecting from modem

I've seen many closed threads on this topic, none of which seem to fit my scenario exactly  . . .

I have 100MB fiber service coming in to an AT&T-provided BGW210-700 gateway.  The gateway is set up in passthrough mode, and is connected to the Orbi RBR40 (version 2.1.4.16) in router mode.  This configuration has worked great since I first set it up nine months ago.  The gateway is used as a modem, Orbi does all the work.  No outages at all.

A few days ago, I decided to try out the new Bitdefender Box 2 and add it to the mix between the gateway and the Orbi.  Setup was textbook, everything working . . . until I awoke the following morning.  According to Bitdefender support, their device hung during an automatic firmware upgrade.  This may be extraneous information because after several more hours of issues, I pulled the Bitdefender out and decided to return to the original configuration --- except that it no longer works either.

When I reboot the gateway or the Orbi, all is working for a few minutes, maybe a little longer, but then the Orbi loses the connection to the gateway, and the "magenta ring" appears.   The Orbi Internet Port settings, which initially showed the valid external IP, gateway and subnet, now all show 0.0.0.0.  It remains this way for hours, but occasionally throughout the day, it will reconnect for a few minutes and then fail again.  When the connection is lost, the ethernet port lights on both gateway and Orbi go dark.  Orbi  reports that nothing is plugged in to its Internet port.

I've tried multiple ethernet ports on the gateway.  No good.  I have tried restoring Orbi config from a backup I saved prior to all of this.  No good.  I have reset both the gateway and Orbi to factory settings and completely started over.  No good.  I know the AT&T Internet service works because I can connect the gateway to my computer via ethernet and receive service.

I thought that it might be something related to DHCP on the gateway passing the external IP to the Orbi, however if I enter it statically into the Orbi it doesn't work either.

I've also not yet tried setting this up so that Orbi is just an access point.  That would be a last resort I suppose.  I hate workarounds.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi disconnecting from modem

Remove the device between the ISP modem and Orbi. Does the system work?

If the system was working before you installed this BitBox, then I would presume you have a configuration issue with this device. I would contact the mfr of this device for additional help and information regarding it.

You could try configuring the Orbi in AP mode. If the BitBox is a firewall appliance then you wouldn't need to run the Orbi in router mode since you currently have technicatlly 3 firewall running, your modem in gateway mode, this Bitbox and the Orbi router in router mode. Its too much.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of recommendations,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 6
Pictone
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.  I've already removed the Bitdefender box from the setup and am trying to get it working the way it was before, with just the modem (gateway) and the Orbi.

1. The modem is configured in transparent bridge mode.  AT&T calls this "passthrough" mode, where the ISP's external IP is sent via DHCP to become the Orbi's external IP.

2. All wifi on the modem is disabled.

I may just try factory resets on both devices one more time before resorting to trying the Orbi as just an AP.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you could try the modem in router mode and the configur the Orbi for AP mode.

Let us know how it goes...

Message 4 of 6
Pictone
Aspirant

Problem Solved.  AT&T sent me a replacement modem.  It looks like somehow in the midst of all this, the Ethernet ports on the original modem went bad.  Seems odd to me, but it was either that or firmware.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Glad it fixed now. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements