Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi disconnects from internet intermittently

bmohanty
Initiate

Now why should I think I would be luckier than the 1000s of people suffering here !!!!

Running into same issues as a lot of other folks here - Intermitently the Orbi router will just lose internet connectivity although I have velified my broadband is fine and some devices connected directly to broadband gateway work.. 

Tech support is THE WORST EVERY .... I mean seriously, where do they find the support guys... and when they do, why do they call them "experts" !!!
Spend 4 hrs with them.. Updated FW to latest 2.3.0.32.... No impact. The second support tech tells me I should replace the HW then he goes on to changing wifi channel settings.... Its clear these guys dont have a clue.. 

Learned my sesson... so taking it back today and get a compatative product ... 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 51 of 64
jaizz
Aspirant

I bought this at Costco. Mine gets disconnect everyday, after reading the posts i have no time to troubleshoot this thing. It’s going back to the store. I’ll be staying away from NETGEAR products.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 52 of 64
bmohanty
Initiate

Good call @jaizz

I picked up a Synology RT2600ac and MR2200ac. Has been very reliable and features are amazing.   

Good luck. 

Message 53 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@0703kb wrote:
Get the same problem reported. I’ve found that a quicker reboot is to pull out network cable from router and plug it back in. Saves a re-boot. However, after 12 months of the system working well its hugely frustrating that it drops the WiFi now at least twice a day. Can’t find a fix online. Anyone with any good ideas. Last time I tried Netgear phone number I hung up after being in a queue for an hour.

Message 54 of 64
0703kb
Star

I did the major software update once it was an option via the app, and this seemed to solve the drop out problem, but reduced the WiFi speed to around 40% of what it was (60mb instead of the usual 200mb speed). So last week, the app informed there was an additional software update which I clicked to install. Speed is back to 200mb but have had 3 drop outs in the last 2 days. Is there an easy way to uninstall the last update?
Message 55 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try a factory reset on the system first and setup from scratch. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@0703kb wrote:
I did the major software update once it was an option via the app, and this seemed to solve the drop out problem, but reduced the WiFi speed to around 40% of what it was (60mb instead of the usual 200mb speed). So last week, the app informed there was an additional software update which I clicked to install. Speed is back to 200mb but have had 3 drop outs in the last 2 days. Is there an easy way to uninstall the last update?

Message 56 of 64
0703kb
Star

Ok. On Friday last week, the drop outs became impossible. I’m currently working from home as my leg is in plaster, and I need to join work Skype meetings. I was being kicked out every 30 to 45 minutes. 

So did the full reset on the Router. This requires you to set-up the complete system from scratch. Eventually, I completed this and it seemed more stable. Then on Saturday, the satellite started dropping out. The Router kept its connection to the internet. After a few minutes, the satellite would re-connect and all would work again. However, the satellite dropped every hour. 

So so I did a complete reset on the satellite as well. So far (Sunday and Monday morning), there is no drop out yet. Also the speed is back to delivering the full 200mb WiFi. 

Fingers crossed that this stays stable until the next software update. For those of you having the same issue, a full reset is definitely worth trying.

However, I am very frustrated with Netgear products now. Feedback to Netgear would be simply this: 

This is an “over the counter bought product”. However, without a reasonable IT knowledge, you simply would struggle to trouble shoot this device. I could not recommend it to family and friends because they would not have a clue what to do when it stops working correctly. It is not plug and play. But that is how it is sold. Netgear support is near impossible to get through to, resulting in the need to come to forums which for a normal IT user, can be quite daunting. When the support information talks about making changes to “Beamforming, MIMO, WMM, disabling Daisy Chain, Fast roaming and iPV6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only” - there is an expectation that you are an experienced router user. I’m not. The most I was prepared to do was reset it. After that, it would be buying a new non-Netgear device. Which I did not want to do, because this was so expensive to buy in the first place.

Thanks Furye38 for the suggestion to reset it and try again. Fingers crossed it works for now.

Message 57 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

@0703kb wrote:

Ok. On Friday last week, the drop outs became impossible. I’m currently working from home as my leg is in plaster, and I need to join work Skype meetings. I was being kicked out every 30 to 45 minutes. 

So did the full reset on the Router. This requires you to set-up the complete system from scratch. Eventually, I completed this and it seemed more stable. Then on Saturday, the satellite started dropping out. The Router kept its connection to the internet. After a few minutes, the satellite would re-connect and all would work again. However, the satellite dropped every hour. 

So so I did a complete reset on the satellite as well. So far (Sunday and Monday morning), there is no drop out yet. Also the speed is back to delivering the full 200mb WiFi. 

Fingers crossed that this stays stable until the next software update. For those of you having the same issue, a full reset is definitely worth trying.

However, I am very frustrated with Netgear products now. Feedback to Netgear would be simply this: 

This is an “over the counter bought product”. However, without a reasonable IT knowledge, you simply would struggle to trouble shoot this device. I could not recommend it to family and friends because they would not have a clue what to do when it stops working correctly. It is not plug and play. But that is how it is sold. Netgear support is near impossible to get through to, resulting in the need to come to forums which for a normal IT user, can be quite daunting. When the support information talks about making changes to “Beamforming, MIMO, WMM, disabling Daisy Chain, Fast roaming and iPV6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only” - there is an expectation that you are an experienced router user. I’m not. The most I was prepared to do was reset it. After that, it would be buying a new non-Netgear device. Which I did not want to do, because this was so expensive to buy in the first place.

Thanks Furye38 for the suggestion to reset it and try again. Fingers crossed it works for now.

Message 58 of 64
0703kb
Star

5 days with no drop outs at all. A full reset of Router and Satellite appears to have solved my problem.

Definately worth doing if you are getting the dropouts.

Message 59 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Glad it's working now for you. Others have expressed that same thing. Resets maybe needed. 

Be sure to do a backup of the config to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if another reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@0703kb wrote:

5 days with no drop outs at all. A full reset of Router and Satellite appears to have solved my problem.

Definately worth doing if you are getting the dropouts.

Message 60 of 64
thecos77
Aspirant

I am having a similar problem where on two different desktops, I lose wifi, yet on iphone and ipad, wifi works fine.  windows troubleshooter says i do not have have a valid IP adress.  After a bit the wifi comes back on.

I am not sure my setup is correct.  I am using an Arris surfboard cable modem (SB190) with ethernet cable running to "internet" port on the Orbi router.  I have an ethernet cable running to a desktop computer from the orbi router "internet" port. This desktop has great signal from the orbi.

I need to insert a switch to run an ethernet cable to an Arlo device. I tried placing the switch between the modem and the orbi but it did not seem to work correctly.  Came anyone advise me where I should put the switch in my setup.

thanks, thecos77

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 61 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

The switch should be connected after the RBR. Not before.

ISP modem>RBR>LAN switch<Lan devices connected to the switch.

Be sure to setup a IP address reservation for your devices ON the RBR.

@thecos77 wrote:

I am having a similar problem where on two different desktops, I lose wifi, yet on iphone and ipad, wifi works fine.  windows troubleshooter says i do not have have a valid IP adress.  After a bit the wifi comes back on.

I am not sure my setup is correct.  I am using an Arris surfboard cable modem (SB190) with ethernet cable running to "internet" port on the Orbi router.  I have an ethernet cable running to a desktop computer from the orbi router "internet" port. This desktop has great signal from the orbi.

I need to insert a switch to run an ethernet cable to an Arlo device. I tried placing the switch between the modem and the orbi but it did not seem to work correctly.  Came anyone advise me where I should put the switch in my setup.

thanks, thecos77

Message 62 of 64
thecos77
Aspirant

Thanks with regard to the switch position, now all working fine

Message 63 of 64
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@thecos77 wrote: