Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi does't let me see RoonReady speaker wirelessly

LarryNewYork
Aspirant

Orbi does't let me see RoonReady speaker wirelessly

I installed Orbi a few days ago and it has helped give me excellent WiFi throughout my apartment. 

However, I'm having trouble getting my wireless speaker, an ELAC Discovery Z3, to be seen by my Roon, a music service, server that is running on a MacMini and is on Orbi's wireless network. 

Wirelessly, I could not get Roon to see the speaker as a RoonReady device, only as an AirPlay device, which does not work, it generates all kinds of transport errors when playing music. When I plugged the Discovery Z3 into the back of the Orbi Router, the Z3 then showed up in the list of Networked devices in Roon! Music plays fine this way.

The trouble is, I need the RoonReady interface of the Discovery Z3 to be a networked device on Orbi’s wireless network, something that just doesn’t seem to work.

Any thoughts? Is Orbi running some kind of firewall that blocks Roon from seeing that the Discovery Z3 is on the wireless network? 

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi does't let me see RoonReady speaker wirelessly

Try setting security to OPEN on the router temporarily. Will the devices connect then? If so, re-enable WPA and TPIK security and test again.

What version of FW are you using?

I would turn OFF the satellite and test with the orbi router first and see if all your devices connect to it. Test with it alone.

Might try disabling MIMO, Daisy chain, Fast Roaming, and Ipv6 on the router as well.

Message 2 of 6
LarryNewYork
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try setting security to OPEN on the router temporarily. Will the devices connect then? If so, re-enable WPA and TPIK security and test again.

What version of FW are you using?

I would turn OFF the satellite and test with the orbi router first and see if all your devices connect to it. Test with it alone.

Might try disabling MIMO, Daisy chain, Fast Roaming, and Ipv6 on the router as well.

Thanks for that suggestion. I have been waiting for somebody from NetGear support to get back to me to try to debug the problem 

I will try what you say. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 4 of 6
LarryNewYork
Aspirant

I don't quite know why this works now but it might have had something to do with upgrading to Roon 1.5. Anyway, I now have two ELAC Z3 Discovery speakers on the Orbi network and they both work correctly. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad there working now. Sometimes client devices need updates as well. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7