Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi dropping connection to modem

Markesyd
Guide

Orbi dropping connection to modem

I have searched the forums and am still having the issue so I wanted to see if anyone here has some suggestions...

SETUP:

I have had my Netgear ADSL2+ modem (DM111Pv2) running with an Apple Time Capsule wireless routher for 3+ years with zero issues. The modem has latest firmware (no update in many years). The Time Capsule had 100% uptime, but the Wifi sugnal was just a touch weak for the farthest reaches of my house.

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK50 and set it up with no issue. It automatically updated to the latest firmware (V2.1.4.16). I have set the network up both via the app and via web broswer, and never an issue to set up. Works fine after startup.

ISSUE:

Pretty much every day at some point the Orbi router will stop talking to the modem. The Orbi LED will glow magenta, and the Orbi app says "offline".
The modem lights show internet connection (at the modem), and network connection (to the Orbi).

When I try to access a site there is no data transmission at the modem (neither the network or internet lights flash, meaning no activity either direction). So the modem shows no loss of connection, but it appears that it is not receiving any traffic from the Orbi.

If I unplug the modem, it resets and Orbi starts talking to it again. ***Note above, I never had this issue for 3 years when using Apple Time Capsule. It is only after using Orbi that I have to reset the modem. Therefore this is NOT a modem issue, it is absolutely an Orbi issue!!***

So at random times every day or so, the Orbi will go OFFLINE and stop talking to the modem, until I reset the modem (it is faster to reest the modem than the Orbi, hence I restart the modem not Orbi).

ACTIONS TRIED TO DATE:

1) Reset Orbi to factory settings (using pinhole at rear of router).

2) Diable MU-MIMO, Fast Roaming, Daisychain

3) Set Orbi to use computer MAC address

4) Using LAN cable that came with the Orbi to connect to modem

Even after all of the above, I am still getting the same issue. At some point the Orbi stops talking to the modem and reports status "OFFLINE", but evey status indicator on the modem is normal.

Appreciate any other suggestions from this community.

Please ask if you require any other diagnostic or setup information.

Thanks!!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Markesyd
Guide

FYI, the modem(s) taht I am using is modem function only, no wifi or router. Purely modem.

So I finally relented and purchased a new Netgear modem, that had firmware updates as recently as this year.

So far Orbi has been up for several days with no dropping communication to the modem.

So it appears the only solution that worked was to replace my 3-year old modem that was working perfectly with my Apple Time Capsule wifi router. Dissapointed that upgrading to Orbi necessiated replacing my modem as well... 😞

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the modem handling the PPPoE service or is the modem bridged and the Orbi handling PPPoE services? 

What mode is the router running in? Router or AP mode? 

Ensure it's a good quallty LAN cable between the modem and router. 

Also be aware that the ISP Modem only supports 100Mb LAN connections, the Orbi supports 1000Mb connections. 

You have a older modem so it maybe possibly time to upgrade the modem...

Message 2 of 10
Markesyd
Guide

Thanks for your reply.

Answering your questions:

- modem is handling PPPoE (again, modem status lights are all green indicating modem shows internet connection OK. It has an internet connection status light that will show red if the modem can't reach the internet).

- Orbi is in router mode, as I have a printer, NAS and iMac connected to it via ethernet

- I am using the LAN cable privided with the Orbi. If this cable is not sufficient quality, then Netgear should not be providing it in the Orbi package!

Are you suggesting that the LAN communication is too slow for the Orbi, so it looses connection to the modem?  Although the modem supports 100Mbps and Orbi supports 1000Mbps I am stuck on ADSL that only reaches 16Mbps on a good day. The bottleneck is upstream of the modem, not within my network.

Netgear still lists this exact modem as a current model for sale (they only offer 2 modems here in Australia), so I don't agree that the modem is out of date and should be upgraded with a new one. And the fact that they are both Netgear products should increase compatability, not decrease it.

Unless you have any other suggestions, I'm thinking to add in a simple 5-port switch between the Orbi and the modem to handle the router functions, and put Orbi in AP mode just to handle the Wifi traffic. Maybe Orbi will be happier talking to a switch instead of the modem... ?? See attached diagram.

Message 3 of 10

This is pretty much the exact thing that I am seeing on a daily basis. I have even tried rebooting the ORBI and my modem in an effort to eliminate the Magenta ring of death at random times, but sometime in the evening, boom it crashes. I might try putting a timer on my router and rebooting it every 12 hours.

Message 4 of 10
Markesyd
Guide

For what this kit costs, we should not have to be rebooting it at all!

Seems there is some setting or buffer or who-knows-what that is hitting a limit and then the router-modem communication stops.

I fix mine by rebooting the modem instead of the router. Modem reboots and the system is up again in about 2 minutes, versus 5 or more minutes if I reboot the router and it has to recoonect to the sattelite.

Hoping someone has some idea what is going on and can give us a setting to change or someway to diagnose what is happening.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If the modem is doing the PPPoE then try lowering the MTU value on the Orbi from 1500 to 1472 or 1496 and see. DSL uses different MTU values. You can ask your ISP about what MTU values they support.

You might ask the ISP to bridge the modem and let the Orbi do the PPPoE handling as well.

Or let the modem do the PPPoE and use the Orbi in AP mode.

Router Mfr will never use great quality cables in box. I always use my own bought from other places. At most the in box cable is good for getting things running out of the box.

Maybe however the older HW gets and newer designs in HW, doesn't always mean it will always work or be more compatible. As older HW gets older, theres less upgrades in FW and less problems fixed as time goes forward. Yes it should work however just be aware, older HW may pose problems.

The bottle will be the modem since it's only supporting of 100Mb and yes the Orbi should handle that fine. Possible issue could be a break down in connection with the modem. I would try either bridging the modem and let the Orbi handle PPPoE and set the correct MTU value that your ISP requires and see how it does. Or run the Orbi in AP mode with the modem handling PPPoE and see what happens.

Message 6 of 10
Markesyd
Guide

Update:

1) When I put the Orbi behind the TimeCapsule, and put it in AP mode, I had 3 days uptime with no dropped communication from the Orbi. So the issue is definitely bewteen the Orbi and the Netgear modem.

2) Changed back to original configuration (Orbi on router mode connected directly to modem), and changed the MTU to proper value (1492 for my ISP). Unfortuantely my modem doesn't have an open to let downstream device handle PPPoE, so the modem is still doing that task.

On Saturday night 14th at approx 17:44, I was watching Netflix via VPN to USA, and it suddenly hung again. Attached is the log from the Orbi when it hung.

I disabled DoS scan and UPnP, and rebooted eveything.

Anyone have a clue about the DoS Attack entries or the UPnP rule??? (FYI the 192.168.1.5 is my iMac that is attached to Orbi via ethernet cable). At that time the iMac was idle and I have no idea what triggered the UPnP events on the iMac...

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the modem have a DMZ?

If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Also might be time to ask the ISP for a different modem possibly that can be bridged if possible.

Message 8 of 10
Markesyd
Guide

FYI, the modem(s) taht I am using is modem function only, no wifi or router. Purely modem.

So I finally relented and purchased a new Netgear modem, that had firmware updates as recently as this year.

So far Orbi has been up for several days with no dropping communication to the modem.

So it appears the only solution that worked was to replace my 3-year old modem that was working perfectly with my Apple Time Capsule wifi router. Dissapointed that upgrading to Orbi necessiated replacing my modem as well... 😞

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation