Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping internet connection 2-3 times a day

rtbinbend
Tutor

Orbi dropping internet connection 2-3 times a day

Over the last month my Orbi drops the wireless connection to the internet two or three times a day.  To fix it I unplug the network cable coming from my cable company modem into the Orbi and plug it back in and the connection is restored.  I've bypassed the Orbi and tested the connection directly from my cable modem to a laptop and that connection doesn't drop at all.

My Orbi has the latest sw(V2.2.1.210), has one satellite connected.

Any tips or tricks to try?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection 2-3 times a day

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@rtbinbend wrote:

Over the last month my Orbi drops the wireless connection to the internet two or three times a day.  To fix it I unplug the network cable coming from my cable company modem into the Orbi and plug it back in and the connection is restored.  I've bypassed the Orbi and tested the connection directly from my cable modem to a laptop and that connection doesn't drop at all.

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@rtbinbend wrote:

1. It can be that -somehow- Orbi is losing DNS connectivity, and unplugging the ISP router cable and plugging back is just reconnecting the DNS?  I've seen this reported by others. Please try using 8.8.8.8 as your primary DNS and see if the problem gets better.

DNS settings are found in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet Setup >>

2. Please also check that you don't have double NAT.  One quick way to test if double NAT exists is a traceroute.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer connected to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8

this will make a traceroute to Google’s DNS server. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good. 🙂

Message 3 of 5
rtbinbend
Tutor

The modem is an Arris TG2472

Router is running in Router Mode

Sat is about 30 ft away in roughly 3000 square foot house

I only have 1 neighbor that I get any WiFi signal

I have changed to channels 1 and 40

Using WPA2 PSK

I turned off Daisy Chain, went to 40 MHz only, and have IPv6 off as well.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Is your modem in bridge mode or router mode? You have a built in router in your modem.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Let us know if your changes helps any...

@rtbinbend wrote:

The modem is an Arris TG2472

Router is running in Router Mode

Sat is about 30 ft away in roughly 3000 square foot house

I only have 1 neighbor that I get any WiFi signal

I have changed to channels 1 and 40

Using WPA2 PSK

I turned off Daisy Chain, went to 40 MHz only, and have IPv6 off as well.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7