Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping internet connection after firmware upgrade

ericsammons
Aspirant

Orbi dropping internet connection after firmware upgrade

Hello,

I purchased the Orbi RBK50 last March, and all was well (great, actually), until I upgraded the firmware to v2.1.1.16 a few weeks ago. I did the firmware upgrade in order to enable the Circle with Disney parental controls. Since that upgrade, I have had the internet (not wifi) go out intermittently. This impacts all devices, whether they are connected to the router or the satellite. If I log into the router and renew the connection (via Advanced...Connection Status...Renew), the internet connection comes right back up. This occurs frequently - sometimes more than once a day.

Like I mentioned, this only began occurring after I upgraded to v2.1.1.16 and enabled Circle with Disney. Is this a known issue, and are there any fixes for it?

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection after firmware upgrade

We just released a new firmware this week have you tried to upgrade to 2.1.2.18?

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We just released a new firmware this week have you tried to upgrade to 2.1.2.18?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13
ericsammons
Aspirant

I just noticed the new firmware upgrade - I've upgraded and I'll see if that fixes the issue. Thanks!

Message 3 of 13
SimpsonS
Initiate

Updated to the latest firmware as of today in hope of a patch, no improvement.  My issue is that the internet is intermittant, on and off constantly. When I check the status through the app on my iphone - upon opening the app states that the router is offline, but within 10 -15 secs that staus is changed to online.  At that point I can access the internet, but as soon as I load the content, the router goes offline again for a minute or two, before returning to online status

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 13
chucker11
Aspirant

I had a similar problem with the last version of firmware.  I ended up having to buy a new cable modem to fix the problem.  Basically, the Orbi would connect for a very short amount of time and then my lease with the ISP would disapear.  I had used multiple routers of different brands with the same cable modem and never had this issue so it seems to be Orbi related.  (I'm not home so I can't look up specific versions, etc.)

Message 5 of 13
chucker11
Aspirant

I should add that the version of software I had was  2.1.1.16.  This is the one I had Cable Modem trouble with (It was a surfboard but don't have model handy.)   Switching cable modems solved the problem for me

Message 6 of 13
SimpsonS
Initiate

Thank you - I am running a Zhone Technologies Znid‑gpon‑2424 modem and using the firmware 2.1.2.18 -

I had the Arlo, Wink Hub 2, and Sonos connected directly to the router - but this morning I disconnected everything and reset the router in hopes that would help.  Not luck so far, any help would be appreciated - I can return the items, but that window is closing - really want to keep the Router and two satalites if possible based on the fact that I live in a house with thick plaster walls and need a robust wifi router.

Message 7 of 13
Turrmoil
Guide

Updated to latest firmware and now wan connection keeps on dropping. Connection via backhaul seems to work as my Roku next to the satellite works fine but WiFi connection on my phone and laptop fails.
I even reset the router but no luck.
I’m on at&t Service and using their router **bleep** modem device. The orbi is plugged into this device and is setup in the DMZ directly.
Message 8 of 13
ericsammons
Aspirant

Since the upgrade to 2.1.2.18 I've not had this problem anymore. I'm going to assume it's now fixed. 

Message 9 of 13
lcrosland
Initiate

My wifi signal is dropping constantly and then resets itself. This is happening 20-30 times a day at least. When directly connected to the router with an ethernet cable there are no drops. The drops are occuring on all devices (ie. iphone, windows 10 laptop, iPad, ecobee thermostat, etc). I have factory reset the router twice. I am on firmware version V2.1.2.18. It may be slightly better after the latest firmware version, but it is NOT solved. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 10 of 13
ronogg
Initiate

I updated firmware a few weeks ago. I am constantly getting messages on my phone (galaxy s8) my daughter gets them on her s7 and my amazon alexa that is in my bedroom upstairs keeps going off line( this is where the satelite is also). I have a 2500 sq foot 2 story house have had my orbi system for almost a year now. I only started having issues about a month ago when they reported issues with google devices causing issues. This is why i upgraded firmware. Now i am getting dropouts multiple times a day sometimes i can not even connect to orbi using the app on my phone. I have 32 devices on my network. I am ready to go back to a xfinity supplied router and modem it was not as fast and coverage was not as good but at least it worked. You would think that after spending $400 on a new router and this Orbi system that it would last longer than one year. 

Message 11 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ronogg

Did you update your google devices with there beta firmware to fix the drop outs.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 13
ronogg
Initiate

Darren, yes we did this the same day we installed the new firmware. I was contacted by Alvin from your company he sent me a new firmware package that will allow me to capture debug logs. Since I installed this on Wed night we have had no issues. Hopefully what ever was in the firmware update he sent me fixed it. by the way it was the same firmware update as before but had some letters at the end of it. I attached a screen cap of the new firmware installed on my system. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7