Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping internet connection when outside - RBK50

slefkoff
Aspirant

Orbi dropping internet connection when outside - RBK50

Hi all - I have the RBK50 system at my house and love it. However, I have a weird issue - when I walk outside, I lose internet connection almost immediately. Devices (me - iphone x, wife - iphone 😎 showing full wifi signal, but websites don't load, apps don't load, etc. When I'm inside, everything works. When I step one foot outside, I still get full wifi but no internet. Any thoughts? Why would internet drop once we walk outside despite having full signal connection to the router/satellite?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection when outside - RBK50

Is Fast Roaming enabled? Try disabling this under Advanced tab/Advanced/Wireless settings. Disable MIMO and Daisy Chain as well.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11.

What is the distance between you and the router or satellite when your out side?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?  Feet?

How big is your home? SqFt?

Message 2 of 6
slefkoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Fast Roaming enabled? Try disabling this under Advanced tab/Advanced/Wireless settings. Disable MIMO and Daisy Chain as well.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11.

What is the distance between you and the router or satellite when your out side?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?  Feet?

How big is your home? SqFt?

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try the suggestions tonight when I get home. 

Distance between me and router when outside - Maybe 60-70 feet? Literally inside the door the internet works, when I step outside 3-5 feet from the door it doesn't. No drop in WiFi, just drop internet.

Distance between router and satellite - Satellite is 1 floor up and the other side of the house, so maybe 85-100 feet or so.

Home is about 3000 sq. ft. on 2 floors. Has unfinished 3rd floor that would add another 500 sq. ft. or so.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the signal quality report for the 80-100ft distance satllite? wireless connected? Seems it might be a bit too far for this one satellite from the router. Starting should be 30 feet, and maybe up to around 50-60 feet depending on building materals...

Ya, you should have signal outside. I set up my friends RBS50 systems a couple of weeks ago. One router and one satellite. I put his satellite up stairs and it's wired back haul connected as the signal was POOR connected wirelessly.  Hes got a thick house. I was amazed that I still had full bars on my phone out side in my car right before I left. I was at least 30 feet from the satellite and router.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Message 4 of 6
slefkoff
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Whats the signal quality report for the 80-100ft distance satllite? wireless connected? Seems it might be a bit too far for this one satellite from the router. Starting should be 30 feet, and maybe up to around 50-60 feet depending on building materals...

Ya, you should have signal outside. I set up my friends RBS50 systems a couple of weeks ago. One router and one satellite. I put his satellite up stairs and it's wired back haul connected as the signal was POOR connected wirelessly.  Hes got a thick house. I was amazed that I still had full bars on my phone out side in my car right before I left. I was at least 30 feet from the satellite and router.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

I think I have it wired back to the router, but I'll have to check that tonight to confirm. If not, I'll check the signal strength and move it if it is poor. I guess it is possible that I'm connecting to the satellite when I step outside (full WiFi signal) but the satellite isn't catching any internet from the router, right?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, you'll need to check to see if the satellite has internet access and thruput...you can check whats connected to the satellite via it's IP address. Has a connected clients list there too. Something you can look at and help you out. Ya you'll need to test with something connect to the satellite. If something is getting internet close to the satellite or in same room, then you can rule out the satellite and internet there...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7