Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection

trippw
Star

Orbi dropping internet connection

I purchased a netgear orbi router last month and have had problems with it dropping internet connection almost daily. The orbi representative suggested I get a new system because they had tried all of their help solutions. I went and exchanged my router for a new one and am still having daily disconnects. Really annoying to pay this kind of money for a router and have to constantly power cycle it to keep it running. Seems to be an error with the modem not assigning a MAC address. If I unplug the orbi and plug my old router in I have no problems.
Message 1 of 51

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

We have release firmware version 1.12.0.18 this firmware has fixes for disconnects and many more I posted the release notes below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

If you are still having issues after updating your Orbi unit you may want to factory reset the Orbi and test again. If you are still having disconnect issues or other issues with this firmware please post the issues you are having or contact our support team.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thanks

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 51

All Replies
hadokyuu
Guide

I'm having this issue each night too. It works fine all day, then disconnects. It's like there's a sleep mode that it doesnt wake from.

Message 2 of 51
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have a beta firmware that looks to address disconnect issues if you would like to try this firmware send me a PM

DarrenM

Message 3 of 51
trippw
Star

Darren,

I have sent you a private message to try and get access to the beta firmware.  Can you please reply to my private message.  Spent an hour on the phone with customer support already today.

Thanks,

Tripp

Message 4 of 51
trippw
Star

Yes mine does this.  I am having to power cycle my modem and router daily.  It is getting really frustrating.  I shouldn't have to power cycle daily, spend hours on teh phone with netgear support, and try a beta software for a router that costs $400.

Message 5 of 51
Doug-48051
Luminary

Sadly I agree.... I am working hard with the community and waiting for this fix.  I feel mislead on the orbi.  The marketing hype and reviews were great. But the product has fallen short on its KEY selling factor.  I work in IT so I understand hardware issues so I was hoping support would be more helpful, but thus far the only answer I seem to read is... New firmware will address that, but no release date is available.

So.. I sit... and wait... I am not sure what the long term impact will be on the Net Gear brand.

Feeling unheard

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 51

Welcome to the dropped connections party!

I've been using the beta firmwares for a while, but still have had no relief from the orbi locking up. So workarounds I have found.... go backwards to v1.5x timeframe -OR- set your orbi as a wireless access point and use a separate router. The issue seems to be when using orbi as a wireless router. Matter of fact sometimes when the wireless does not work, the wired ports will still work. 

Either way your options are:

1. Setup as WAP with separate router

2. Wait for new published firmwares and pray

3. Join in on the beta firmware and pray

4. Sell your orbi as soon as possible and cut your loses

I'm on option 2 because I actually want to see this fixed for all.

Message 7 of 51
Doug-48051
Luminary

@jfalkingham

Are you running Beta  1.12.0.12?  Are you saying it does NOT fix drops?

What does it address?

My return window is closing fast. After that its an expensive pet rock, and a world of backlash from the spouse.

And just to be clear... NetGear is advising customers to connect the NETGEAR Orbi to other Routers .. like ASUS to Function?  WOW...Thats going to look BAD on my YouTube Channel ... LOL

Message 8 of 51
Doug-48051
Luminary

All products have issues... things that need adjustment. But at their core.... they should be able to fit their main function.  Please dont make the customer feel bad for being disappointed. The customer has lived up to his end with cash, trust of the NetGear brand, and patients.

All anyone is looking for are options, action, and a promise to make it right. All companies deal with issues. The big ones own-up and surpass expections. Customers buy products through out a life-time.  The customer loyality should be more important than any one product or purchase.

Message 9 of 51

@Doug-48051

I am running v1.12.0.16 on RBR50 & RBS50. Behavior still appears so no it has not resolved my particular issue of it 'locking up' on giving our IP address after a period of time. I can still connect to the router, however there is no 'internet' access because it appears that DHCP stops responding.

Netgear is not advising anyone on this matter other than to work with beta firmware. MY advice was to use as WAP and use a different router then the behavior does not rear its ugly head. 

When I bought the Orbi on the fantastic reviews, I was excited to finally have a solution that would provide a rich wifi signal throughout the house for multiple devices. Easy install, up and running and no problems delivering on the promise of marketing. Things started to have issues around v1.9 of the firmware.

If I were able to return, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not fortunate enough for that. If I'm doing research and choosing a vendor today, I would probaby give Plume a shot. 

I do not represent Netgear in any way. I'm just a guy that wants to continue on continuing on in faith that Netgear will release a more rock solid firmware to address this issue. If you don't have the appetite to be a beta user, return 🙂

Message 10 of 51
Doug-48051
Luminary

@jfalkingham

I wish you the best finding a solution. How often did they release updates?  I am writing some of these issues for my networking students this Fall

Not to worry no name just senarios, and reporting procedures.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Message 11 of 51
trippw
Star

Honestly, I would have already returned it if I could.  I am outside of my return window.  Stupid me kept the router even though it was having issues becasue the speed was so good.  I was only getting around 20 mbps with my old router that was over 10 years old (paying for 100), but as soon as I hooked up the orbi I got speeds above the 100 mbps that I am paying for.  It started out that I only had to power cycle once a week so I thought, I can live with this.  Then it turned into daily power cycles, and now sometimes I can not even get the thing back online.  I have spent around 10 hours on the phone with netgear support and still have not gotten the issue resolved.  If you have this router and it is still in the return window, I would recommend taking it back before it is too late.  I waited too long.  Do you really want a $400 router that you have to power cycle every day, try out a beta firmware, or even use it in AP mode with another router??

Message 12 of 51
hadokyuu
Guide

V1.12.0.18 just dropped... let's see how this one works out. My satallites are definitely noticallably faster.... but i care about stability. so ill report back in 24 hours.

Message 13 of 51
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

We have release firmware version 1.12.0.18 this firmware has fixes for disconnects and many more I posted the release notes below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

If you are still having issues after updating your Orbi unit you may want to factory reset the Orbi and test again. If you are still having disconnect issues or other issues with this firmware please post the issues you are having or contact our support team.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 14 of 51
hadokyuu
Guide

My RBR50 no longer drops! It's been up for 24 hours!

Version: V1.12.0.18

Steps: Updated firmware, reset Orbi router to factory, resync'd each satallite. Thanks @DarrenM and Netgear Orbi Team!

Message 15 of 51

Once again, I have more disconnects. But NOW... the system won't re connect. I have to close out my wifi on my device and restart to have it reconnect.

The best system for me was right out of the box. The issues started with the first firmware update and continue to this date.  

I am using the most updated firmware.   1.12.0.18.   Also it is now disconnecting WIRED Devices.  It wasn't doing that before.  

any help anyone? I had real hope for this version.  I feel like charly brown trying to kick the football.   

jim

Message 16 of 51

I will try the factory reset now that I have updated the firmware and will update this forum

Jim

Message 17 of 51

I just updated to 1.12.0.18 will monitor and report my findings. Fingers crossed!
Message 18 of 51
Crazyb24
Guide

Jamessimmering: did the factory reset work? I am having the same issue as you. Will not automatically reconnect after disconnecting.
Message 19 of 51
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Crazyb24

What issues are you having on the latest firmware?

DarrenM

Message 20 of 51

Alright, I did the firmware update, then did the reset button till flashing Amber. Let it restart and since then I've had no lock ups with wireless or DHCP. This has been for 1 day, but so far it's holding. I will add in, do the reset after installing the firmware. It made a difference. OK now let me get back to work with a reliable VPN and voip line now
Message 21 of 51
Crazyb24
Guide

I continue to experience disconnects, but it seems to be worse. It does not seem to reconnect and forces me to turn off wifi on my phone (Galaxy S8plus).

I did go through the process of doing a factory reset on my RBR50 today and that did not improve the situation.

It also appears to be primarily affecting my Galaxy S8. Other connected devices do not seem to be having this problem (no one else in my home is complaining of disconnects).

I have had the same problem with previous firmware revisions as well, but I disconnected one of my two satellites and that seemed to clear the issue up. That solution has not worked with 1.12.0.18.

Message 22 of 51
noonway
Guide

Also have continuous disconnects on my Galaxy S8 plus.
Message 23 of 51
Killou92
Tutor

I have the same issue on my Galaxy S8....
Message 24 of 51
JMU1998
Luminary

IPhone and iPads have improved a lot with new Firmware for me but my Samsung s8 plus and Sony Xperia tablet are still dropping connections randomly and frequent, making it worse since now there is no way to lower 2.4GHz radio or disabling, before when I had 2.4GHz disabled my tablet never had any drops.

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 58 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7