Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection

lgalliher56
Aspirant

I have loaded the FW update and while the disconnects are less frequent, they still happen. How can I determine if it's my ISP (Charter). Prior to installing Orbi, we had some issues with stalling and the modem even rebooting while watching Netflix or Amazon. Thanks.

Message 26 of 51

Try turning on beam forming and mu mimo. Not sure but for me that seemed to help
Message 27 of 51

Try turing on beam forming and mu mimo. Seemed to have helped.
Message 28 of 51

Try turning on Beam forming and Mu Mimo.  I had issues after the update with samsung i 5.  This seemed to have helped. (fingers crossed) and yes there is no way to cut down the  power on the 2.4 ghz side that I can see.  The update did away with that option.  (I am not an expert just a frustrated user like yourself)

Message 29 of 51

Try turning on Beam forming and Mu Mimo.  I had issues after the update with samsung i 5.  This seemed to have helped. (fingers crossed) and yes there is no way to cut down the  power on the 2.4 ghz side that I can see.  The update did away with that option.  (I am not an expert just a frustrated user like yourself)

Message 30 of 51

@Crazyb24 wrote:

I continue to experience disconnects, but it seems to be worse. It does not seem to reconnect and forces me to turn off wifi on my phone (Galaxy S8plus).

I did go through the process of doing a factory reset on my RBR50 today and that did not improve the situation.

It also appears to be primarily affecting my Galaxy S8. Other connected devices do not seem to be having this problem (no one else in my home is complaining of disconnects).

I have had the same problem with previous firmware revisions as well, but I disconnected one of my two satellites and that seemed to clear the issue up. That solution has not worked with 1.12.0.18.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 31 of 51

@Crazyb24 wrote:
Jamessimmering: did the factory reset work? I am having the same issue as you. Will not automatically reconnect after disconnecting.

Message 32 of 51

thanks.. for all the help.

Jim

Message 33 of 51

I'm going on 47 hours with no lock ups since moving to 1.12.0.18 trying to contain my excitement.

5 ipads, 2 iPhone, 2 android, Xbox, tivo, Apple TV, Amazon TV, 6 nose soundings, subnetwork router, heavy YouTube and Netflix streaming. No issues since updating and doing factory reset.
Message 34 of 51
JMU1998
Luminary

@jfalkingham just curious if you are or not seeing issue in Orbi app in network map showing all devices as only Wired and 100% and link rate as N/A?

Message 35 of 51

@JMU1998 never used the mobile app so just installed and yup, all are showing wired and 100%. Going to router Web address shows accurate info, I'm going to uninstall the app now lol 🙂
Message 36 of 51

Ok 63 devices connected no issues at all and I have every device hitting it from Bose SoundTouch to Amazon echo devices, smart tv's, android ios BlackBerry 10 and windows phone. Win 10 and Mac osx oh and a subnetwork for VPN. Rock solid! I am pumped not hearing "we have no Internet..."

Message 37 of 51
Doug-48051
Luminary

Solid on all 17 devices... including samsung Galx 7 and Galx 6s phones.  Echo and Tp-link switchs are working well thus far.

Message 38 of 51
Crazyb24
Guide

Based these success stories it may just be an issue with Galaxy s8 phones. That is the only issue I have seen anyone have in this discussion.

Also, I tried enabling beam forming and mu-mimo with no change. Still having disconnects.
Message 39 of 51
Doug-48051
Luminary

@Crazyb24

could it be a distance thing.... what is your setup and enviroment like?

Message 40 of 51
Crazyb24
Guide

3 story home with RBR50 and two satellites. Router on main floor and satellites in basement and top floor. I am using the Orbi in AP mode with a netgear router that has wireless turned off. Signal is good everywhere I use the phone.
Message 41 of 51

@Crazyb24 on your S8, put it into airplane mode, then turn on WiFi (only WiFi) does that help?
Message 42 of 51
jj777
Guide

I got sooooo tired of all this nonsense.  Daily internet disconnects.  Hours on the phone.  Firmware updates fixing one thing and breaking two others.  Inability to keep connection of bedside iphone (since beginning) used for internet radio at night.  Thank goodness for Coscto.  Now with Eero Pro and NO issues.  Now that I finally get to experience fast/reliable internet, even if I couldn't return Orbi, I'd sell it on ebay and buy something else...it would be worth the financial loss...

Message 43 of 51
Crazyb24
Guide

Tried airplane mode on my S8 and no improvement. The S8 works well on other wifi's I use (work, restraunts, hotels) so I don't think it is an S8 problem.
Message 44 of 51

@Crazyb24 ok thanks. Does it connect on WiFi but not get Internet or does it just refuse connecting? If it's an issue on negotiating an ip address but other devices can, set a static ip address for your phone and use Google or open dns servers and see if that helps. If it's not connecting on WiFi, then forget the orbi and re-add
Message 45 of 51
ShawnGlan
Aspirant

I bought an orbi on May 2017. No issues until yesterday July 15. Now I am not able yo connect to the modem i have from time warner (spectrum). Still trying to find a solution. The modem is working but orbi is not connecting. Any thoughts?
Message 46 of 51
Hydro130
Luminary

@ShawnGlan wrote:
I bought an orbi on May 2017. No issues until yesterday July 15. Now I am not able yo connect to the modem i have from time warner (spectrum). Still trying to find a solution. The modem is working but orbi is not connecting. Any thoughts?

The Orbi recently had a big firmware update this week - it's very likely that yours updated automatically recently, and some users are reporting that the Orbi also automatically did a factory reset as part of that update. 

If that happened to you, then you'll need to rebuild your network SSID, etc...  In that case, you Orbi is likely broadcasting on it's factory default network right now -- try going to orbilogin.com or http://192.168.1.1 and see if you are being promped to set up your network.

Good luck!

Message 47 of 51
lgalliher56
Aspirant

That is interesting. I am still having a couple of drops a day. One time today when no one was on the network was happening and hadn't been for quite a while. I had looked at Eero, but Orbi had slightly better reviews and a better price (for 3 units) on Amazon. So I'm thinking I will be returning it. What is your set up like? Did you get one or two satellites? How many devices access your network at a time, typically? One thing I like about Orbi is the dedicated channel between router and satellite, but if the router's not working that doesn't mean a lot, does it?

Message 48 of 51
Crazyb24
Guide

It is connecting but will drop periodically and then not reconnect until I turn wifi off and on again or wait for a long time.
Message 49 of 51
jj777
Guide

I got the new Eero Pro 3 unit pack for $499. So refreshing to having a working unit again - I didn't realize HOW much the Orbi was driving me nuts.  When Orbi worked, it was great.  Seemed to progressively get worse with regard to complete disconnects (had to do daily afternoon restarts) but it never fully worked - e.g. certain iPhones would drop, Sonos was sketchy, etc.  I probably have 40 devices connected - smart home stuff (thermostats), Sonos, IP cameras, Tivo's, Apple TVs, iPads/iPhones/MacBooks. Many units are ethernet connected and I did use ethernet with the Eero satellites.  Again, setup was super easy.  Tech support super nice and easily available.  If you have kids, the profile setup is very robust and easy.  It doesn't do the NAT hairpin which is little bit of a pain, but so far, that is the only issue.  I read the same reviews and it's probably true that when Orbi is working, it's faster, but for a typical cable modem type of setup, not sure it makes much of a real world difference. 

Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 58 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7