Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: possible solution

Kael2618
Aspirant

Orbi dropping internet connection

My Internet keeps dropping especially the upload speed I rebooted the Orbi system twice and I also reset the router in the satellite and I'm still having the same issue I got the System On April 23, 2017 in the beginning It worked perfectly but now I can't even stream Netflix YouTube Or I can't even play online because of it can someone help me out Thanks in Advance
Message 1 of 29
trippw
Star

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection

After spending 10+ hours on the phone with netgear "technical support," replacing the router twice, testing beta firmware, adjusting software features, etc netgear has not been able to resolve this issue for me.  I was spending all of my days off talking to netgear customer support and have at least 10 support case numbers all for the same issue.  My orbi was outside of the return window so I just ultimately had to bite the bullet and purchase a more reliable router.  Hopefully they can resolve this issue for me but they basically ended my "customer service" by telling me they will need to let their software engineers look over my log reports.  I am sorry but I spent $400 on this router and should not be having this much trouble... Good luck asking for a refund because they don't issue them apparently even if the product works less than 1 month. All I can suggest is leaving honest reviews on multiple different websites in hopes that other people won't make the same mistake we did.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 29
trippw
Star

possible solution

After 3 months of struggling with daily power resets, exchanging my router twice for 2 new Orbi Routers, and testing multiple beta firmwares I think I have finally solved the internet dropping problems (with no help from the level 2 netgear "experts").

I was about to give up on the router when I noticed looking through the log reports that the time/date was wrong on my router. It seems silly, but after correcting the date/time on the router (which I never set in the first place) my internet has been rock solid! I have gone 3 days without having to power cycle my router (a big improvement over power cycling multiple times per day.  It is too soon to say it is a fix but it is worth a try if you are still having problems with yours.

Here is how to fix:

1) go to orbilogin.net

2) punch in your username (typically "admin") and the password (it will be "password" if you have not changed it)

3) Click the Advanced Tab

4) Click Administration

5) Click Logs (Check at the top to make sure the current time that is listed is correct.. for me it was incorrect initially and needed to be fixed)

If you need to change the time go to:

1) Click on "security" under the advanced tab

2) go to "schedule"

3) at the bottom use the drop down menu to select the correct time zone (note you may have to check the box that says adjust for daylight savings time) 

4) verify the correct time is listed then click the apply button

I hope this will help with the problem.  Like I said to early to say it is a fix but it has worked for me thus far.  I wish the netgear technical support could have been more helpful.  I have tried every solution under the sun the last 3 months but this seems like a relatively simple thing that has fixed the problem for me (thus far). 

Message 3 of 29
Kael2618
Aspirant

Thanks I will give that a try
Message 4 of 29
Tgterm
Guide

Just checked my time, and it was set to the Pacific time zone (vs. Eastern) so I made the adjustment.  Monitoring now to see if any change to stability is evident.  Thanks!

Message 5 of 29
Kael2618
Aspirant

Did the adjustments work?
Message 6 of 29
Tgterm
Guide

It does seem more stable lately - but I am also running firmware 2.0.0.66.  The only issue I have experienced recently was with my DirecTV Genie - buffering to the point of being unwatchable for an On Demand movie on Saturday, yet fine for another O

@Kael2618 wrote:
Did the adjustments work?

n demand program.  Also some issues running Pandora on my mini Genie...just losing the connection and getting booted out of the mini Genie entirely.  Weird.  Might be a DirecTV issue, though...have them coming to check it out on Friday.

Message 7 of 29
Kael2618
Aspirant

Where can I get that. firmware 2.0.0.66. Is that the latest one because I don't think I have one
Message 8 of 29
Tgterm
Guide

2.0.0.66 was given to me by Netgear level 2 support after I opened a case for internet drops.  As of last night, I am now on 2.0.0.72.

Message 9 of 29
GDMACK
Star

Is this a problem in AP mode our Router mode?

Message 10 of 29
jsbigs
Tutor

I am running v2.0.0.74 on both the RBR50 and the RBS50. These were purchased in July of this year, and until about three weeks ago, I had no issues. Now though, the Orbi router is dropping the internet connection every 2-3 days, forcing me to power cycle it to re-establish the connection. For the amount of money I paid to upgrade our WiFi, this is unacceptable, especially after only three months of use. I rely on the WiFi daily for an office, as well as the ability to run credit cards on a POS system that is WiFi only. I am not always around to reset the internet, which causes considerable frustration among my staff. We need something that "just works" and presently, Orbi does not.

Message 11 of 29
Jgvd
Aspirant

System supposed to be super easy to set up and it was EXCEPT.... Netflix and Pandora would not work. Your step by step  solution is easy to understand and IT WORKED. YOU WOULD THINK THAT THE SETUP WOULD INCLUDE THIS OR PREFERABLY THE SOFTWARE SHOULD DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY.  You solved a lot of frustration, not sure how you discovered this solution but not likely that most of the users would. THANK YOU

Message 12 of 29
jsbigs
Tutor

I was sent a beta that worked relatively well (weekly disconnects versus daily), but now am back to at least every other day disconnects, and I'm about to throw the whole thing against the wall. Any new updates available? Please.

Message 13 of 29
DVM
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem and I just listend to Leo LaPorte's "The Tech Guy" podcast where a caller was asking for help with exactly the same problem! In our household we had an interesting and often repeatable issue where my wife would pick up her Pixel 2 phone and that would knock out our WiFi and our connection to the internet on wired devices. I replaced the Orbi with an AC4000 router and it has been ROCK SOLID!

Message 14 of 29
trippw
Star

I had a ton of trouble with mine for 4 or 5 months and then all of the sudden no more drops. My internet has been solid for a few months now. Only thing I changed was corrected the time on the router and started recording the logs so I could capture when it went offline but I have not had any trouble since.
Message 15 of 29
Jgvd
Aspirant

This solution worked for me and others. This should be included in instructions or better yet automated through the software

Message 16 of 29
jsbigs
Tutor

My router has never shown the incorrect time or time zone, so I have no cause to correct that. However, the dropped signal continues to plague me and now multiple times per day.

Message 17 of 29
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jsbigs

What firmware version are you on?

DarrenM

Message 18 of 29
sleepr88
Apprentice

I would NOT recommend the Orbi. I have had mine for over a year (and it used to be awesome), but a firmware update 6 or more weeks ago has made it junk. It disconnects multiple times, day & night. The disconnects mess with all my home control items(tired of having to reset some of them). And the satellite is in the bedroom, so as it cycles back to reconnect, it becomes a very annoying night light. At first it seemed like a problem with my ISP, but I quickly figured out it was my Orbi system. Netgear doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix the firmware either. And there is no way to turn off the automatic updates and/or roll it back to one that worked. I am frustrated, especially for what it cost. I am trying to figure out what system I should change to? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Message 19 of 29
forest63
Aspirant

I purchased the Orbi RBK50 router with 1 RBS50 satellite January 7, 2018.  The installation was easy with confirmation indicating setup complete.  One exception, was when I got to the end, I could not find the account login to access to finalize the guest network setup.  I had to call the help desk to assist.  It should have the admin log-in pop up by default at end of setup for the customer to further stream line the complete process.

Now the connectivity issue!!  I am running an I-Mac with parallels with shaw cable as the ISP (internet system provider).  On initial start-up in the morning, the wifi connects on the mac operating system.  I flip to the windows and it connects also.  When I flip back to the Mac side, I lose connectivity.  I finally found that shutting down the windows operating system, I can re-establish wifi connectivity back on the mac side and also the windows side.  This has been ongoing every morning.  Now 5 days later, the wi-fi icon has been searching for a signal twice on Jan 12, showing the system looking for connectivity.  Both RBK50 and 1 satellite were indicating normal with no lights showing/illustrating any issues.   

After several calls to NETGEAR support, Staples, as well as Shaw Cable my Internet Service Provider, the Staples sales tech. indicated to contact my ISP and make sure the shaw 150 modem, that the built in wireless router was turned off as this could potentially be a bridging conflict.  I called back to the ISP (shaw cable) and confirmed it was in fact off.  I then provided a complete synopsis to the shaw tech. of my ongoing problem.  The shaw support tech. did follow-up and say that there were a-lot of customers complaining of NETGEAR internet connectivity issues.  In particular to the NETGEAR Night-hawk routers.  There seems to be an integration/compatibility issue with shaw cables modem and NETGEAR products.

After countless hours of research, continuous amounts of phone calls to NETGEAR'S help line that goes to India, which again is very difficult to understand their techs. with poor English and substandard phone connectivity/quality it is very frustrating to pinpoint the problem!!!  As a first time customer to NETGEAR Orbi line of products, it should not be up to the customer to spend and waste countless hours ascertaining why the system is not operating the way it should!!!  The product cost $550.00 with a 2 year extended warranty of $150.00 for a total of $725.00 CDN.  NETGEAR'S Support system is not very efficient on getting to the bottom of the problem quickly and effectively!!  This area needs major improving!!!    

I will be monitoring the Orbi system for another week to 2 weeks, but may have to return the Orbi for a full refund back to staples as they have a 30 day return policy and replace it with the Linksys Velop.  I hope that I do not have to resort to this, as it is going to waste an entire day to take apart and re-setup a complete new system and programming all the devices onto the Linksy Velop.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 20 of 29
sleepr88
Apprentice

Since I can't use my Pixel 2 XL or my Nexus 6P on wifi with the Orbi(obviously with current issue) I started using my old Note 3 to play games on. Well it also makes the Orbi system REBOOT every time it wakes up! I wish Netgear would just refund me for this junk system because it doesn't seem like they will ever fix it?

Message 21 of 29
Jgvd
Aspirant

Your isp provided gateway may be the issue. Often the gateway includes the modem. You need to get into the gateway (over the Internet) and disable the modem. You may need directions how to do this. Do a goggle search. I had similar issues, disconnected the gateway modem and the Orbi 50 has been absolutely trouble free

Message 22 of 29
forest63
Aspirant

Thanks for the help.  I am pretty sure that my ISP cannot do anything more than disconnect the wi-fi function on their modem/router combination which was done as I have talked twice to them regarding my connectivity issue.  They said everything was running as should be on their end on the internet 150 mbps plan.  The router/modem from shaw is in link below at bottom of page.  Any additional help would sure be grateful.

https://www.shaw.ca/advanced-wifi-modem/

Message 23 of 29
Jgvd
Aspirant

Obtain your gateway brand and model number. Goggle how to disconnect the WiFi. Follow the instructions. It worked for me. Also on the Orbi log page at the very top it will show time zone if not yours correct to yours. Seems silly but again it made a difference for me.

Message 24 of 29
forest63
Aspirant

Thanks.  Wifi is disconnected.  And I did change the time zone from Eastern Canada to Mt. Pacfic.  I changed the time zone yesterday afternoon and the wi-fi is disconnected.  It is now a wait and see if changing the time zone will solve my problem.  Again Thanks!!

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7