Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection

nbeecken
Follower

Orbi dropping internet connection

My orbi RBR50 looses internet connection even though it's connected to the router and internet is working. It shows Offline in the app and will not connect. What is the issue? Has anybody experienced this problem?

I am based in the UK and am connecting to a Virgin router.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
RSRA
Star

Browse the forum and you will find wide-ranging issues reported by a large number of dissatisfied Orbi owners or like me, ex-owners. If you want a mesh-style network that offers fast, reliable WiFi over a wide area, I can recommend Multy X by Zyxel, and at a saving of £50 over the Orbi in the UK. I wasted far too much time with the Orbi...
Message 2 of 3
guzzijason
Apprentice

@RSRA wrote:
I wasted far too much time with the Orbi...

And yet, you continue to waste your (and others) time here in the forum.

@nbeecken wrote:

My orbi RBR50 looses internet connection even though it's connected to the router and internet is working. It shows Offline in the app and will not connect. What is the issue? Has anybody experienced this problem?

I am based in the UK and am connecting to a Virgin router.

That connectivity check is a ping test that runs periodically, attempting to ping "www.netgear.com". Its possible that the ping (ICMP echo) traffic is being blocked by a security rule someplace. The ping target is hosted in the Amazon cloud. If I had to make a guess, I would say that there may be a security rule blocking ping traffic from Europe, perhaps. I'm curious if you can actually ping "www.netgear.com" from a computer on your network, and if the problem is intermittent or if it happens consistently.

Unfortunately, that test target address does not seem to be configurable, so if the pings are bing blocked, there's not a whole lot you can do. The good news, I guess, is that it doesn't actually impact your ability to use the Internet.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7