Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping internet connection

napochan
Guide

Orbi dropping internet connection

RBR40 and one satellite RBS40, each with the latest firmware V2.1.4.16

WiFi strength throughout the 2-story 2,100 sqft house is good.

There are frequent device connection interruptions from both the RBR40 router base and RBS40 satellite. Wired connections to both base and satellite retain their Internet connection when this happens so it's the WiFi connection that drops. Seen this on multiple devices including an Android phone, tablet, and TV.  Had this problem since first installed.

I checked the community posts on this (and similar) problems but none of the remedies mentioned have helped.  Also tried auto channel selection and manual selection guided by monitroing nearby channel usage.  Running out of ideas and looking for wisdom from this community.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset been performed on the system and set up from scratch after the FW was updated?

Message 2 of 4
napochan
Guide

Furrye38, thank you for your response.  Here are my replies.  I will try running after making your suggestions and report again when I have results.

To clarify, the problem is dropping the WiFi connection, not the Internet connection, as wired connections remain connected and with service.  When a drop-out occurs, I can't tell if the device was connected to the router or the satellite.

What FW is currently loaded? V2.1.4.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too? Arris TM1602
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration. There is no switch in the configuration.  Wired connections are made to the base and satellite.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2,100 ft sq.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. >40 ft line of sight, with wood and plasterboard framed walls in between.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I've run both Auto and manual selections based on monitoring all local traffic, with the same drop-out occurences.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Several WiFi access points can be detected, but all with significantly weaker signals than mine, as reported by Netgear's WiFi Analytics app.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  MIMO, Fast Roaming, and IPv6 were never enabled.  I disabled Daisy Chaining (since there's only one satellite, the feature should be ineffective anyway) and rebooted both router and satellite.

Has a factory reset been performed on the system and set up from scratch after the FW was updated?  No.  Has this been known to reduce or avoid drop-outs?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a full power OFF of the ISP modem for 1 minute. THen back on. Then do a full factory reset one the router and set up the router from scratch. You might skip adding the satellllite and just test the router alone to see if the router continues dropping internet connection. 

How long have you had the ISP modem? 

Have you tested a PC directly connected to the ISP modem to see if you notice any problems in this configuration? 

Can try setting up DNS for 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 on the router to see if this might help. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7