Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping internet connection

janiceadele
Aspirant

Orbi dropping internet connection

When the internet goes down the RBR20 router cannot reestablish an internet connection, I must do a manual reset then setup the device. The person at Netgear Chat says that just happens? I spent alot of money for this router, my old apple router automatically reconnects and still works is there a fix? I have updated the router to the latest firmware.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 14
janiceadele
Aspirant

ORBI RBR20 router

Modem Arris TG1682

Message 3 of 14
janiceadele
Aspirant

sorry firmware 2.1.4.16

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 5 of 14
janiceadele
Aspirant

I would not expect to have to do all this to use this router with my ISP, are you sure this definitely fixes the problem or is this just a possibility?  right now I go to my old router (apple) when ORBI does not work and I do not want that to stop working.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi so your in a double NAT condition which maybe cuasing problems. So you'll need to configure the modem and orbi accordingly with the suggestions mentioned before.

Message 7 of 14
janiceadele
Aspirant

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

I logged into the modem. I thought I had already done some of this a while ago but anyway, radios are off, the Router part is turned off, Orb is in AP mode. Seems like all the things you said are already done. Ummm..Well it lost the internet again I am back on my Apple router will do another hard reset and setup..arg

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the router part is disabled on the modem, contact the ISP to have them help you with this. If the router and wifi are fully disabled on the modem and the modem is in bridge mode, then run the Orbi in Router mode, not AP mode.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 9 of 14
janiceadele
Aspirant

Changed the Orbi from AP to router mode, will work with that for a while see how it goes before I amke any more changes. Thanks for the help!

Message 10 of 14
janiceadele
Aspirant

OH..The house is 1600 SF and there is a 400sf pool house behind where I really need the wifi to work so one of the devices is in the pool house by the sliding glass door. I need to get it so the TV in 3 rooms can stream, one being the pool house. I have ORBI router and 2 orbi's devices. The house is block and the roof is metal so always a challenge.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the router and satellites and whats the distance between the house and pool house?

And when you loose internet connection, it's both wired and wireless?

Message 12 of 14
janiceadele
Aspirant

12 feet between house and pool house. Right now it is about 30-40 feet from the router to the ORB in the pool house, when it is connected to internet seems to stream TV fine. The other ORB is  about 90 feet from the router no walls in the way to tv room.

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, 

You may need to move the pool satellite a bit closer if possible. With building materials being a factor, this could cause some problems.

90feet, I presume this should work ok. Maybe move it a bit closer if you notice anything.

Ok, let us now how it goes.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7