Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping telnet? Separate SSID

berlinpose2
Follower

Orbi dropping telnet? Separate SSID

I spent 3Hrs getting to know the people at Netgear today. I had 2 level 1 techs tell me that Orbi can't do separate SSIDs. After having my setup nuked by the new firmware update. They absolutely denied anything related to telnet or being able to separate SSIDs. Told me my house was to small for rbk43 even though one satellite was basically in a bit of a Faraday cage in my shed propped up in a window which extends sq ft quite a bit. The only thing they offered was to tell me to lower 5ghz power. I'm still fighting to get everything connected. But I managed 2 of my 7 Google assistants. Ready to switch to a better mesh system at this point.
Message 1 of 2

Re: Orbi dropping telnet? Separate SSID

What are you actually trying to achieve that makes you think that you need to separate the SSIDs? (There is a long and lively discussion on that topic that has been running for many months now.) It may not be necessary.

One reason why people ask about separate SSIDs is because they think they need it to set up IoT devices. In reality, this is rarely necessary. Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz.

Unfortunately, many makers of Iot devices require people to use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. This often connects to the 5 GHz wifi. Poorly designed apps then fall over because they cannot handle a device connected to the 2. 4 GHz wifi.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into Orbi's wifi set up
  2. Disable broadcast of the 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may actually be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people. The advantage is that it does not break one of the whole points of the Orbi's Mesh system, a single SSID that devices can connect to seamlessly.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7