Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi dropping wifi connections (iPhone)

Baskura
Follower

Orbi dropping wifi connections (iPhone)

Firstly I know there are many posts about these similar kind of issues already but I fail to see how Netgear, after all these years are still producing products with terrible firmware (or hardware - who knows).

I have an brand new Orbi RBK50 with satelite and using a wired connection it's solid, however my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad (2017 model) is constantly dropping/not picking up the wi-fi.

I'm running the latest firmware (V2.0.0.74), have tried factory resets and nothing fixes it. The property is a bungalow, so it's all over one level, it's not as if the wi-fi has to go through multiple floors.

This is a 'premium' high end system, yet from what I can see the support (as usual) is dreadful. From what I've read some people having been waiting for more than 6 months for a fix? How is that even acceptable. Yes, I do expect better from a £320 router/wi-fi system.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
st_shaw
Master

I have no issues with iOS devices.  Maybe it's an issue with your phone, or your RF environment. Try forgetting the WiFi network on your iOS devices, then adding the network back in.

Message 2 of 9
Techmace
Aspirant

I have roughly 23 devices on at any given time (probably close to 35 when everything is on). My old Asus 1900 router never dropped. This new guy I've had less then a month, dropping constantly. And the drops are random. I rarely call tech support but I did, only to change an item I already tried to change earlier that day. I have this bad feeling this will not get fixed, I have tried so many settings.. I'm not new to routers.. This is probably my 5th in ten years because I like to keep the speed good in the house. And I thought this would be a good upgrade given our load. This is the first time I'm thinking about throwing out a brand new router because I don't wish it on anyone else. At least toss it in the closet for 6 months and see if they fix the firmware (I am outside of my return window) do yourself a favor, if you just got it and can still return it, do it. I've never ever had an issue with a router, ever... Until I met this one. There has got to be a fix, but it may not exist yet.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 9
brianbsi
Initiate

I have the same problem. As a matter of fact I lost my post before I hit submit becuase I was dropped. This device is I problem if you have alot of wifi devices. It cost too much to be this bad. It is sad when you think about it. Those of use that use the wifi and are the ones that are willing to pay the big bucks get scewed by this. I would stay away from this device if you are going to use it, including gaming. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 9
Keatech
Initiate

I have the same issue. Previous wifi access point had no issues.  Intermittent disconnections especially on the satellite.  Very poor product. 

Message 5 of 9
tclutes
Guide

Same here it’s gotten to the point where I am considering digging out our old router, this system was too expensive to have so many connection issues. We can’t use WiFi Calling on our iPhones anymore calls will fail.
Message 6 of 9
brianbsi
Initiate

Yes wifi calling gaming both don't work. I am not using the router functions either. Just wifi.
Message 7 of 9
joeyhang
Aspirant

As suggested by Netgear vendor -

Please help to clarify that problem does the symptom only appear on iPhone? Does the symptom only affect one iphone client or all iphone device? And here is my suggestion for improve the WIFI strength.

(1) Go to http://routerlogin.net

(2) Go to Advanced> Advanced Setup > Wireless Setting

(3) Region change to "United States"

(4) Unclick the box of "Enable 20/40 Mhz Coexistence" (5)Click Apply Hope this help

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

And for users with the 50 series systems, try the Beta FW.

20/40Coexsitence is enabled for me and my iOS devices are working fine.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7