Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi drops out frequently but briefly

jrennie
Aspirant

Orbi drops out frequently but briefly

Hi,

I’ve got an RBR50 and two RBS50s. When working, they’re great. However, I get frequent, short (a few seconds) drop-outs. This affects PC, iPad, WiFi thermostat, and WiFi IP cameras.

I have tried with active cable modem (xfinity) and with cable modem in pass-through mode. No difference. IP camera is accessing NVR on local network, so doesn’t require internet anyway.

Am running latest firmware. Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks,

John.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would turn OFF the one satellite thats directly above the router and test. 

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and IPv6 all together and test. 

Try manual Channel 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

Was a factory reset performed after the last FW update on the router and satellites? Might be a last resort to try. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 9
jrennie
Aspirant

Hi,

Firmware 2.1.4.16, on all units including the satellites.

IP modem is TG1682G from Comcast.

About 5,500 sq ft home, over three floors. Router and main Orbi are in basement, lowest floor. One Orbi satellite at other end of basement, 50’ away. Second Orbi satellite is one floor up, about 25’ straight line, as it didn’t connect when two floors up.

No WiFi neighbors. Hard to believe, but true! We do have Roku and Nest devices that show some WiFi. They’re all 2.4GHz.

Regarding things to try, any particular order? That’s a lot of combinations.

Modem is currently in transparent bridge. I tried that to see if it helped. No noticeable difference.

Note I have devices losing connectivity to in-home equipment, not just internet.

Am using managed network switches for wired devices. They show no issues, no dropped packets, etc.

Thanks for your suggestions!

John.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would turn OFF the one satellite thats directly above the router and test. 

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and IPv6 all together and test. 

Try manual Channel 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

Was a factory reset performed after the last FW update on the router and satellites? Might be a last resort to try. 

Message 4 of 9
jrennie
Aspirant

Hi,

Have been running it for a while to check stability.

Moved my top floor satellite to a different room where it can have a wired connection.

Turned off beam-forming, MU-MIMO, and daisy-chain. Fast roaming was already off.

All now seems stable. I did have to power cycle one wifi camera to get it to connect reliably.

Only disappointment is it now seems about four times slower on a speed test.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

John.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You can keep Beamforming enabled.

What are you speeds at the router with wired PC? 

Message 6 of 9
jrennie
Aspirant

I don't have a directly wired PC that can test. (I know, unusual set-up.)

If I run the Orbi app speedtest, that is testing at the Orbi itself, I get 12Mbit/s upload and 300Mbit/s download.

If I run the speedtest app on my iPad, I get 8Mbit/s upload and 9Mbit/s download.

Message 7 of 9
jrennie
Aspirant

OK, beamforming back on, and speedtest now does 72Mbit/s download from iPad. 10.6 upload, but that's close to my ISP speed.

So I'll see if it's stable. Fingers crossed and thanks for the advice.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements