Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi drops wifi for iPad Pro, iPhone 7 and Macbook Pro intermittently

JMU1998
Luminary

Anyone using Beta Firmware seen any improvement for this issue regarding iOS devices randomly dropping connection? 

Message 51 of 147
wchp
Luminary

Just got this:

"We recently released an official Firmware for ORBI and it does not include wireless disconnection fixes for iOS yet as we are still working to make sure we do not miss anything on the fix to be embedded on the next official Firmware.

We got a new beta Firmware you can load to your unit in case your devices auto updated to the latest. Please use the links below:

Please let us know how your devices respond with this Firmware and thank you for your continued patience and for working with us on this. Have a great day always."

Message 52 of 147
loomis1975
Luminary

Both links download the exact same sized file with the exact same name "RBR50" I'd be hesitant to upload one of those to your RBS50 Satellite.  It might bork it.

Message 53 of 147
wchp
Luminary

I was notified that I shouldn't have posted the links, that they are only to be handed out by the support group. The links do in fact download two different files (labeled RBR and one labeled  RBS) but again, they are beta debug and caused more problems than they solved. I notified support of my experience and hopefully, it will be accounted for in the next release. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 54 of 147
vegascaptain
Tutor

Apply "Enable MU-MIMO"  under the (Advanced-->Advanced Setup-->Wireless Settings) tab.

Message 55 of 147
marshymallow
Apprentice

Some Updates on the new Beta.

Unfortunately I encountered the occasional wifi drops but it's not as frequent as before.
I was in the same room as the router and I observed that prior to wifi drop, my mobile device will show very erratic wifi signal strength. Upon wifi drop, it reconnects back almost immediately however.

Hence the new Beta is still not perfect yet.

Message 56 of 147
ryman982
Tutor

I'm having major issues with my AppleTV now... ended up troubleshooting with Apple for a while the other night but the system just can not stay connected to my Orbi.  I have an Amazon FireTV in another room and have had absolutely zero issues with it.  This also seeemed to suddenly happen within the last week or two.  

Seeing that I rely entirely on wifi to power my televsion programming, is there an answer for this in the foreseeable future??  The wife is going to personally strangle someone at Netgear if we can't get Mickey Mouse on the next time the 2 yr old throws a temper tantrum!! :).  

Message 57 of 147
wchp
Luminary

See my post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Intermittent-internet-connectivity-outage-with-Orbi/m-p/129146...

keys are:

Implicit BEAMFORMING and MU-MIMO DISABLED

Set 2.4GHz to fixed channel ( 1, 6 or 11)

Reduce broadcast power on 2.4GHz to 75%

see if that resolves your connectivity

Message 58 of 147
ryman982
Tutor

@wchp wrote:

See my post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Intermittent-internet-connectivity-outage-with-Orbi/m-p/129146...

keys are:

Implicit BEAMFORMING and MU-MIMO DISABLED

Set 2.4GHz to fixed channel ( 1, 6 or 11)

Reduce broadcast power on 2.4GHz to 75%

see if that resolves your connectivity

Just made the recommended changes and it apperas to have fixed everything as of right now!  Thank you very much.

Message 59 of 147

I myself still has the satellite constantly disconnecting, and tips to have it work permanently ?

It is not very far from the base (appartment, I would say 6meters away with no "big" walls within, same floor).

Message 60 of 147
wchp
Luminary

Not sure what a "big" wall is. The Orbi uses 5GHz backhaul freq. This has far more trouble penetrating concrete, stone or as in my house 1945 lathe with wire mesh and plaster. Another possibility is they are actually too close ( I know, sounds silly )

Personally, I would try moving the satellite to another more distant location from the router (possibly with less physical obstruction. One of my satellites works better at 12m line of sight than 5m through two walls. )

A good write up here: http://www.4gon.co.uk/solutions/technical_factors_affecting_wireless_performance.php

Message 61 of 147
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Lovingbenji,

It doesn't matter if they are 1m or 100m away, or even if the satellite is unplugged. The backhaul signal from the router going to the satellite constantly drops. You can watch it if you install something like Wi-Fi analyzer or inssider.
I am afraid that it is a hardware issue which is why it's not neing addressed. Support remoted in to my computer and tried to blame the signal drop on "network congestion" from neighbors (I only have 4 whose wifi I can see). You could put the orbi in the middle of the woods and it would still drop the backhaul. Very frustrating
Message 62 of 147
wchp
Luminary

RE: BobertSaget "You can watch it if you install something like Wi-Fi analyzer or inssider."

Not seeing that in my setup. Running both Wireshark and Wi-Fi analyzer. Backhaul is being done in the upper bands I believe (149-165) and there is nothing else on those freq. in my location. My 5GHz (Client radio/SSID) is statically assigned to 44GHz and the only other signals there are at less than 30% compared to my 88% on Wi-Fi analyzer.

I also added DHCP reservations for the satellites so that they are always at the same IP to easily log into (although not much help since the attached devices table/page is no longer working on the satellites)

The only thing of note is that I performed a hard and soft reset (Power off > on/reset button and power on/reset button, on my router and both satellites before manually reinstalling 1.10.1.2 and reloaded my backed up config). I also generated a new link pwd and used the sync buttons.

Just putting thoughts out there, not sure if any of it will help.

Message 63 of 147

Whaou

Kind of annoying if this is an hardware issue 😞

What I don't understand is that my other WiFi devices work very well at the satellite location, it's only that, from time to time, the stallelite disconnects for no reason ..

I am starting to be a bit upset by those "mesh" stuff, it is really not very stable imo

Message 64 of 147

@wchp thanks for your advices, I'll try a hard reset / complete re-installation

Message 65 of 147
wchp
Luminary

RE: lovingbenji "I am starting to be a bit upset by those "mesh" stuff, it is really not very stable IMO"

I used eero for a year and have also tried Google WiFi, but with both, I lost WiFi if my service provider was down (cloud based) which didn't work well with a smart home. But I had the coverage I needed to "reach" everything (albeit slower than an R6900)

I also concurrently ran the R6900 for my work devices where I needed high throughput. 

This meant choosing the network I wanted based on service requirements. A PITB 

The single Orbi router is almost as good as a R6700 and when the satellites are on give me the reach of the other true mesh network devices (Orbi is really hub and spoke, not mesh). This means a single SSID for both freqs and reaches everywhere.

The other competitor's devices continue to evolve but have a little more time at their backs and have been sorting things out longer.

I believe the Orbi will get there in the not so distant future. I am seeing this as more of a hickup than anything else (a painful one though).

If Netgear would just roll out a 1.11.x.x which was really 1.8.x.x with a "Do Not Auto upgrade" I would be happy as things were mostly working pretty well until this 1.10 release.

If I could make a wish... The R6700 firmware/interface on the RBR50 so I had more granular control over the WiFi!

Message 66 of 147
vegascaptain
Tutor

Problem solved. Apply "Enable MU-MIMO"  under the (Advanced-->Advanced Setup-->Wireless Settings) tab.

Message 67 of 147
goswh
Tutor

Hi, Did you ever share the links so we can download the beta and try this as well?

--Shawn

Message 68 of 147
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello goswh

Send me a Pm if you are interested in the beta.

DarrenM

Message 69 of 147
Miles267
Apprentice

Hi DarrenM, would appreciate the beta firmwares for both router and satelllite.  PM sent.  Thanks.

Message 70 of 147
DrCal
Star

Having the same problem! Spent $500 for RBR40 and two RBS30s, Macbook and iPAD keep dropping WiFi signal. Will return later tonight and get a different router. Any recommendations? 

Message 71 of 147
wchp
Luminary

Netgear R6900 is an AC1900 class router that should give you all the things you need and then some. Costco carries them as well.

It also supports "Smart Connect" 

(Enable Smart Connect - Let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.)

So you could use a single SSID and let the router and clients autoselect the best freq for connection or use two separate SSIDs and specify 5G or 2.4G

I keep one of these on hand as a backup router and it has been incredibly stable, but then again the Nighthawk AC class routers have been around for a couple of years and have a lot more time in the market to have nailed down the firmware. R6700 (AC1750) or R6900/7000 (AC1900) are all good choices and you should be able to find them for less than $140. They will all cover a 3000 sq ft home well.

Message 72 of 147
DrCal
Star

Just to add that most of the time MBP has no problem connecting to Orbi, but still no internet access while other devices are working fine... very frustrating! Took my MBP to a repair shop and they couldn't find anythign wrong.  After reading the thread here, I am convinced it is the Orbi that causes the problem. Had a old Linksys before which worked fine, just smaller WiFi range...

Message 73 of 147
DrCal
Star

Thanks, wchp!

Message 74 of 147
Hsc1102
Apprentice

ORBI!!!!! Get your stuff together!!!!! ICANT STAND THIS ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DISCONNECT DISCONNECT DISCONNECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 75 of 147
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7