Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi drops wifi network - RBR50

Dsieber
Aspirant

Orbi drops wifi network - RBR50

Hi everyone, 

So, I have an Orbi RBR50 running firmware v2.5.0.38. It's great - when it works. The problem - the main WiFi network keeps just disappearing. It will vanish for about 30 seconds, then come back again. Ie, looking at the WiFi network list, it doesn't even appear.  This is on multiple devices. 

this happens at random intervals. Sometimes it's fine for hours, sometimes it happens multiple times in an hour. Just happened again while trying to post this. 

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,

Dirk

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: Orbi drops wifi network - RBR50

Can you post the content of the log from RBR50?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@Dsieber wrote:

Hi everyone, 

So, I have an Orbi RBR50 running firmware v2.5.0.38. It's great - when it works. The problem - the main WiFi network keeps just disappearing. It will vanish for about 30 seconds, then come back again. Ie, looking at the WiFi network list, it doesn't even appear.  This is on multiple devices. 

this happens at random intervals. Sometimes it's fine for hours, sometimes it happens multiple times in an hour. Just happened again while trying to post this. 

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,

Dirk

Message 3 of 4
Dsieber
Aspirant

Hi,

Let me see if I can answer at least most of these right now.

1) Firmware - as I said originally, it's v2.5.038

2) No other ethernet switch present - cable modem straight to Orbi router.

3) House size - about 5000 sq ft

4) Distance between router & satellite - 2 stories vertically, about 20ish feet horizontally across that distance??

5) 2.4 Ghz currently set to auto, 5 is on channel 48.

6) 6 other wifi networks from neighbours show up on a scan.

7) Beamforming was on.  I've enabled MIMO.  WMM was also already on.

😎 I'll try disabling the other items you list & rebooting when it's outside my work day. 😉

For what it's worth - it seems to be wifi-only.  I have a couple of computers hard-cabled to the satellite, and their connetions appear quite stable.

Oh, and yes, I'll try to grab a log file as well.

Thanks!
Dirk

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7