Reply

Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

psykixx
Star

Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

I'm running my Orbi system using ethernet backhaul, but it is creating some issues.

I have a HDHomerun network tuner, and when using ethernet backhaul, then I get picture freezing followed by a "connection lost" error message.

I have ordered another satellite, and was going to go with a mixed ethernet/wireless backhaul setup but if I can't get the ethernet backhaul to be reliable, then I'm not sure.

 

Current connections are Netgear unmanaged 5 port switch, this has the HDHomerun, a Windows machine, and the Orbi router cabled to it. I have an ethernet cable between the Orbi router and the Orbi satellite, and the satellite has my Apple TV 4K and a Philips Hue hub connected via ethernet.

 

The Apple TV 4K is the client for the HDHomerun and that is where the issues lie.

 

Should daisy chaining be on or off? And if off, can I still add the extra satellite via wireless backhaul when it arrives?

 

Should ethernet backhaul be working flawlessly with the latest 2.4.16 firmware or are there issues still to be resolved?

 

(I've only had the Orbi a week, so still getting to grips with its little foibles!)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

 

Does the one device work if you connect it directly to the Orbi router instead of the satellite?

Whats the model# of the NG switch?

 Besure your using good quality LAN cables. Swap cables to test. CAT6 recommended.

 

Disable Daisy Chain.

Yes you can still add another satelllite if Daisy Chain is disabled.

How big is your home? SqFt?

Distance between router and satellite? Should be 30 feet starting.

 

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

 

Does the one device work if you connect it directly to the Orbi router instead of the satellite?

Whats the model# of the NG switch?

 Besure your using good quality LAN cables. Swap cables to test. CAT6 recommended.

 

Disable Daisy Chain.

Yes you can still add another satelllite if Daisy Chain is disabled.

How big is your home? SqFt?

Distance between router and satellite? Should be 30 feet starting.

 

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 2 of 15
psykixx
Star

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

The Netgear switch is GS305.

 

The HDHomerun is located where the router is because the cable from the antenna on the house roof is in that room, along with the internet feed.

 

I'm using brand new CAT6 cables 🙂

 

I don't know the answer to the last two questions!

 

I've disabled daisy chaining and it seems more stable. Why does that affect things? I will have to keep an eye on it!

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

Don't know for sure. IF it's working better then keep it disabled. It's only needed if you want to piggy back satellites in a chain of each other two or three in row.

 

Distance and how size is important if you can find this at some point. Small size you may only need 1 satellite or if even that. I have a 5000sq ft home and only use 1 satellite at the opposite end of the house. 40 feet in between router and satellite.

 

Enjoy.

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 4 of 15
Graydon
Aspirant

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

I've been having similar backhaul issues since day one. The router setup went flawlessly; but, when trying to setup the satellite, I was working at it 8-10 hours a day for a week; some succeses each time, then the whole network would crash. So, the problem is as follows, and the 'bandaid' solution follows.

A. The main ORBI router (RBR50) is connected to a Rogers cable modem, and I consistently get 160 to 190 mbs speed tests. The ORBI router is connected to a switch. I had it first connected to a 24 port SMC managed switch, but after reading about possible issues, I moved it to an unmanaged 16 port Netgear switch.

B. If I plug the Orbi Satellite (RBS50) into a wired ethrnet cable to the switch, and turn it on; the whole network crashes..and stays crashed. Nothing, no local internet access and no WAN internet access.

C. IF, I power up the Orbi Satellite (RBS50) and let it connect via wifi to the main Orbi router, it works fine. Though, where it is located (some 65 feet in the opposite corner of my home) the wifi connection is usually 'poor'.

D. IF, I wait till the wifi connection is established between the satellite and main router, then plug in the wired ethernet to the satellite; the whole system works perfect.

E. IF, I screw up and plug in the wired ethernet too soon, the network crashes. to recover, I need to:

1. Unplug the Satellite (RBS50), wait awhile, plug it in, and wait till the solid white light comes on.

2. RESET the satellite (RBS50) holidng the reset down for 15 seconds or more

3. Let the satellite reboot, then reconnect via wifi to the main router (RBR50) and stabilize, then

4. Plug in the wired ethernet, and I am good again.

G. IF at ANY time, the satellite (RBS50) becomes unplugged, loses power, or loses the wired ethernet connectiong; the whole network crashes when it tries to reconnect. Then, I have to repeat steps 1 to 4 again.

 

___

Orbi RBR50 & RBS50; version: 2.1.4.16

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

Shouldn't have to repeat any configuration steps after a power outage...Something isn't right.

I set up my friends 50 series system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

 


@Graydon wrote:

I've been having similar backhaul issues since day one. The router setup went flawlessly; but, when trying to setup the satellite, I was working at it 8-10 hours a day for a week; some succeses each time, then the whole network would crash. So, the problem is as follows, and the 'bandaid' solution follows.

A. The main ORBI router (RBR50) is connected to a Rogers cable modem, and I consistently get 160 to 190 mbs speed tests. The ORBI router is connected to a switch. I had it first connected to a 24 port SMC managed switch, but after reading about possible issues, I moved it to an unmanaged 16 port Netgear switch.

B. If I plug the Orbi Satellite (RBS50) into a wired ethrnet cable to the switch, and turn it on; the whole network crashes..and stays crashed. Nothing, no local internet access and no WAN internet access.

C. IF, I power up the Orbi Satellite (RBS50) and let it connect via wifi to the main Orbi router, it works fine. Though, where it is located (some 65 feet in the opposite corner of my home) the wifi connection is usually 'poor'.

D. IF, I wait till the wifi connection is established between the satellite and main router, then plug in the wired ethernet to the satellite; the whole system works perfect.

E. IF, I screw up and plug in the wired ethernet too soon, the network crashes. to recover, I need to:

1. Unplug the Satellite (RBS50), wait awhile, plug it in, and wait till the solid white light comes on.

2. RESET the satellite (RBS50) holidng the reset down for 15 seconds or more

3. Let the satellite reboot, then reconnect via wifi to the main router (RBR50) and stabilize, then

4. Plug in the wired ethernet, and I am good again.

G. IF at ANY time, the satellite (RBS50) becomes unplugged, loses power, or loses the wired ethernet connectiong; the whole network crashes when it tries to reconnect. Then, I have to repeat steps 1 to 4 again.

 

___

Orbi RBR50 & RBS50; version: 2.1.4.16




 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 6 of 15
Landshark70
Aspirant

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

I'm facing the same issues.  The Orbi satellite is very unstable and indeed crashing the whole Orbi setup if something goes wrong. I'm running the latest firmware version (V2.1.4.16) on both the Orbi router and the Orbi satellite. The Orbi Satellite is connected via 2 Netgear switches (GS108PEv3-6938) to the Orbi Router.

 

After the latest firmware update, I have performed a factory reset on both the Orbi router and Orbi satellite as recommended but the whole setup is still very unreliable.  If open the GUI and check the connected devices I can see that the satellite is constantly switching from ethernet to 2.4 GHz. This behavior is causing drops in the connection to connected devices.  I'm starting to get frustrated and thinking of switching to another brand.

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

Others have reported seeing problems with Orbi and Managed switches:

 

If this is your switch, it's managed:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS108PEv3

 

One user mentioning that he found the disabling ALL IGMP protocols on the switch helped with his system:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-MR-2-1-Update-3-23-18/m-p/1553749/highlight/true#M30673

 

Please try the system with a non-managed switch. I currently have several on my system and no issues with non-managed switches.


@Landshark70 wrote:

I'm facing the same issues.  The Orbi satellite is very unstable and indeed crashing the whole Orbi setup if something goes wrong. I'm running the latest firmware version (V2.1.4.16) on both the Orbi router and the Orbi satellite. The Orbi Satellite is connected via 2 Netgear switches (GS108PEv3-6938) to the Orbi Router.

 

After the latest firmware update, I have performed a factory reset on both the Orbi router and Orbi satellite as recommended but the whole setup is still very unreliable.  If open the GUI and check the connected devices I can see that the satellite is constantly switching from ethernet to 2.4 GHz. This behavior is causing drops in the connection to connected devices.  I'm starting to get frustrated and thinking of switching to another brand.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 8 of 15
Peter765
Aspirant

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

I too am having huge problems making this work.  I use the Orbi router in AP mode.  The Orbi router WAN port plugs directly into the house router LAN port.  Both satellites use ethernet backhaul.  Even in AP mode I think I need to use both the WAN port and the LAN port on the router which seems so strange to me.  Orbi satellite's ethernet goes to unmanaged switch.  Orbi router LAN port goes to switch also.  So in theory everything is connected.  On multiple occasions Orbi will bring the entire house's internet down (the wired stuff I mean).  If I turn off the Orbi router things seem well again.  I have spent so much time on this it is unbelieveable.  I've very close to giving up and returning the Orbi.  For the cost ($400) I shouldn't be having these kinds of problems.  Like a prior poster, it seems like I have to start the Orbi in a very choreographed way so that every works.  I feel like an alchemist.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

What is the mfr and model# of the main host router the Orbi is connected too?

Try connecting the Orbi router via LAN to LAN to the main host router instead of the WAN port.

What is the Mfr and model# of the switches being used?

Disable Daisy Chain on the Orbi router, save settings and reboot.


@Peter765 wrote:

I too am having huge problems making this work.  I use the Orbi router in AP mode.  The Orbi router WAN port plugs directly into the house router LAN port.  Both satellites use ethernet backhaul.  Even in AP mode I think I need to use both the WAN port and the LAN port on the router which seems so strange to me.  Orbi satellite's ethernet goes to unmanaged switch.  Orbi router LAN port goes to switch also.  So in theory everything is connected.  On multiple occasions Orbi will bring the entire house's internet down (the wired stuff I mean).  If I turn off the Orbi router things seem well again.  I have spent so much time on this it is unbelieveable.  I've very close to giving up and returning the Orbi.  For the cost ($400) I shouldn't be having these kinds of problems.  Like a prior poster, it seems like I have to start the Orbi in a very choreographed way so that every works.  I feel like an alchemist.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 10 of 15
Peter765
Aspirant

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

Ok Orbi router in basement set to AP mode connected to house router LAN port to LAN port.  Orbi router is showing Magenta color.  I can go to the admin page for the router.  I see no setting in the UI to "disable daisy chain".  Right now it SEEMS to work using wifi to talk to the satellites and not ethernet backhaul.  House router is a DYNEX E-402 which has been super reliable for me.

Message 11 of 15
Peter765
Aspirant

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

Based on the above comment I then plugged in the ethernet backhaul for both satellites.  That brought the whole network down.  I had to unplug the ethernet cabes for the satellites to bring the network back up.  FYI I think magenta on the basement router means it is not providing any WIFI (cause in my opinion the firmware assumes the WLAN port is necessary).

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

PINK means that since you don't have the WAN cable connected, it's showing you PINK as there is something wrong on the WAN port, thats all.

 

You have to connect the satellite 1 at a time, wait up to 5 minutes, and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. If so, then connect the 2nd satellite. Thay have to be directly connected to the Orbi base.

I would set up IP address reservations on the host router for the Orbi base and each satellite.

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 13 of 15
Peter765
Aspirant

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

Thanks.  Knowing that the Orbi router showing Magenta in AP mode is a huge thing to know (when you use just the LAN).  As a test I turned off both satellites and you are right there is a wifi signal there (from the router).  I reserved all the Orbi devices to fixed addreses in the router.  I still seem to have problems using ethernet backplane even when both are plugged directly into the LAN ports of the Orbi router (and started 1 then pause then start the other).  You've help tho and I appreciate it.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul issues.

Besure your using good quality LAN cabling. CAT6 recommended. As a test take one of the satellites to the same room as the Orbi router, let it connect via wireless, then connect it via wired to the back of the Orbi router. Wait 5 minutes. Top led on the satellite should come on BLUE. I would try connecting the Orbi router back to the main router using the WAN port. Daisy Chain should be disabled as well.

If you can get one satellite on wired back haul, do the same with the 2nd satellite in the same room. Let us know what you see.

 

Besure both router and satellites are on same version of FW.

Last resort try a factory reset on both router and 1 satellite, setup the router up from scratch and into AP mode. Then reconnect 1 satelliet while in same room as router, then connect wired back haul.


@Peter765 wrote:

Thanks.  Knowing that the Orbi router showing Magenta in AP mode is a huge thing to know (when you use just the LAN).  As a test I turned off both satellites and you are right there is a wifi signal there (from the router).  I reserved all the Orbi devices to fixed addreses in the router.  I still seem to have problems using ethernet backplane even when both are plugged directly into the LAN ports of the Orbi router (and started 1 then pause then start the other).  You've help tho and I appreciate it.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router RBK853 (Router Mode) | and R9000 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 17599 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E