Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul

mark8par
Star

Orbi ethernet backhaul

Sorry I know its been asked many times, but

Will Orbi support ethernet backhaul to satellite at any point?

I have ethernet cabling from the fron to back of house and I believe this would take some of the workload from the main unit.  I do need converage upstairs in the house in some deadspots but have no ethernet there.

The reason I want to run this way is becuse the network can get a little overloaded at times, with many devices, streaming etc. I have tried many combinations of router and access point and all seem to struggle in some way or another.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mark8par

Yes that is a feature that is coming I do not have a ETA on it.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 25
Juan11
Initiate

Darren, been reading about the backhaul subject and there're posts 1.5 years old; so it's time for a "timescale" commitment from Netgear.

i just moved to Orbi after an extremely painful experience with Velop and I'm very pleased so far. Please keep it better.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 25
mark8par
Star

I couldnt wait and in the end decided to purchase the Amplifi HD and I must say its very very good upto now.

Message 4 of 25
loomis1975
Luminary

Orbi (RBK50) was released almost exactly a year ago.

Were there really discussions about ethernet backhaul 6 months before it released?

The timeline on various features they are looking to implement would be interesting to know for sure.  I would think if there is any timeline for a v2 hardware change would also be very interesting to know.

Message 5 of 25
Juan11
Initiate

Right
6 months ago
Message 6 of 25
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Ethernet Backhaul has been posted about many times from - It'll never happen - it's on the roadmap - it's coming

We have heard it all before many times.

I believe the focus was initially trying to stabilise the RBK50.

Then there was the push to release the RBK30 and the RBK40

Stability issues still on the RBK50

Then there was the push for Orbi Pro SRK60

And still there are stability issues with the RBK50

What other future products are on the table to take focus away from the RBK50 ?

I think there were very good intentions on Netgears behalf to see this feature added but other products have taken priority and it looks less and less likely.

I for one took the gamble on the ethernet backhaul being added within a reasonable time of the initial release. Sadly 10 months later from what i can see we are no further forward to seeing it actually added as a feature.

So maybe its time someone at Netgear made a Command Decision and Officially announced whether or not this feature will be added, and if it is when it will happen.

Message 7 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There's always a lot of features we'd like to add to our products but we have to prioritise the order in which we do things rather than try to add too many features too quickly.

We are well aware that ethernet backhaul is a popular request and as has already been mentioned in the thread it's on the roadmap. I can assure you that it's moving up our priority list over time.

Providing estimates is problematic with software as we work to release updates when they are ready rather than meeting an artificial deadline.

The RBK50 is the top of our Orbi Home range and it remains a strong focus for our development. The additional products add to our range of options available to suit differing needs.

The Orbi Pro (RBK60) is aimed a a different market segment to the Orbi Home.

Message 8 of 25
roy9183
Star

Hi Guys,

The product looks and feels is amazing. But it still does not do a complete job without the Ethernet Backhaul.

Also since this is been ongoing sometime. Whats the maximum number of units that Netgear look to support on Wired Ethernet Backhaul.

BR

Robroy

Message 9 of 25
roy9183
Star

Finally we have a new firmware for Daisychaining , this will help quite an extent but still awating Ethernet Backhaul.

For those of you who would want the firmware it wouldbe avaiable below.

RBR50: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5q79iezv7ntbnv/RBR50-V2.0.0.72.zip?dl=1

RBS50: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx8pjvtmwa4zcdo/RBS50-V2.0.0.72.zip?dl=1

RBR40: https://www.dropbox.com/s/67p7fj34lykhdkz/RBR40-V2.0.0.54.img?dl=1

RBS40: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcf0ao1zwy5mmkc/RBS40-V2.0.0.54.img?dl=1

RBW30; https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymmcfbywc21s27m/RBW30-V2.0.0.34_1.0.21.chk?dl=1

All the best fingers crossed for the ethernet backhaul.

BR

Robroy

Message 10 of 25

@roy9183 wrote:
but still awating Ethernet Backhaul.

For those of you who would want the firmware it wouldbe avaiable below.

All the best fingers crossed for the ethernet backhaul.

BR

Robroy

posted on the smallnetgear  forum

"Netgear has released the 1st part of a multi-part staged release of the Orbi firmware. Netgear has provided the long awaited Daisy Chain - which allows Orbi Satellites to talk to each other. This will allow Orbi to be used in large installations where the router cannot be placed in the middle of the satellite placements. This will be staged rollout over the next weeks. But for those looking to download now see the links below.

Of note the ethernet backhaul is not yet released. The Mesh Daisy Chain was the prerequisite. Ethernet backhaul will follow at a later date.

Bob Silver
Netgear Product Advisor "

Message 11 of 25
maxtorzito
Aspirant

Any plans for Orbi Pro? (SRR60, SRS60)

Message 12 of 25
BobAce
Aspirant

Hello, I hopethis helps at home I have RBR50 as my router RBS50 as Wireless and I have just added RBS40 via one of the ethernet port and all devices have firmware 2.1.1.16 and they work great using Ethernet connection.

Thank you

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 13 of 25
ThoOom
Aspirant

Hi,

is there ethernet backhaul yes or no ? I currently have 3 wifi standalone networks to cover my place which is a mess to setup/support. I'd like to plug one single big wifi network but cannot afford traffic to be polluted by satellite and routers working together using the wifi. Can we be sure that they now talk using ethernet port (my place is wired everywhere from the wall ethernet cat-6 cables, wifi is to reach endpoints like smartphone, tablets, laptop computers).

I'm looking for pro version SRK60 and 2 satellites SRS60.

Thx for your help

Message 14 of 25
st_shaw
Master

wrote:

Hi,

is there ethernet backhaul yes or no ? I currently have 3 wifi standalone networks to cover my place which is a mess to setup/support. I'd like to plug one single big wifi network but cannot afford traffic to be polluted by satellite and routers working together using the wifi. Can we be sure that they now talk using ethernet port (my place is wired everywhere from the wall ethernet cat-6 cables, wifi is to reach endpoints like smartphone, tablets, laptop computers).

I'm looking for pro version SRK60 and 2 satellites SRS60.

Thx for your help

Why would you use a wireless mesh system like Orbi if your whole place is wired?  A set of managed wired access points would be a better solution. Netgear sells them, as do other manufacturers.

Message 15 of 25
ThoOom
Aspirant

Hello,
Bored to switch manually to 4 different ssid names, just because they can't talk together. And having a real wifi controller is not worth the price...
Thx anyway.
Thomas.
Message 16 of 25
st_shaw
Master

You should do some research.  You can have a collection of wired APs, with one SSID, and seamless roaming, and you can have it for less than the price of Orbi.

Message 17 of 25
ThoOom
Aspirant

Thx,

any model in the NetGear family range to suggest ?

Thomas

Message 18 of 25
st_shaw
Master

Netgear's offerings are the Insight WAC510/505.

My experience, however, is with a non-Netgear brand, so I can't comment on how good the WAC510/505 is.

Message 19 of 25
ThoOom
Aspirant

Yes, but that one I need to also add the WiFi controller...

Message 20 of 25
st_shaw
Master

The product page reads, "One-touch wireless connectivity & management with NETGEAR Insight app. No additional Cloud controller, appliance, network manager, or PC/server is necessary"

Message 21 of 25
ThoOom
Aspirant

that's when you purchase a single one. Starting at 2, you need a controller.

Message 22 of 25
st_shaw
Master

wrote:

that's when you purchase a single one. Starting at 2, you need a controller.

NETGEAR's product site, Internet review websites, and users on Amazon's Q&A page for the WAC510 all say no controller is required for multiple APs.

Message 23 of 25
ThoOom
Aspirant

that's what the 'technical support' said during my chat session with an 'expert'.Frankly, I'm not sure wherever the netgear expert or the superhero in the community is right or wrong ... =:)

BNeside, there are plenty of other wifi mesh manufacturer.s

Message 24 of 25
GreatBittern
Aspirant

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 24 kudos
  • 13 in conversation