Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi ethernet backhaul

Stallion69
Tutor

Orbi ethernet backhaul

Does the new Firmware version update 2.1.1.16 allow the satellites to be connected to the router via Ethernet Cables to boost signal strength?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi ethernet backhaul

yes it does

Message 2 of 9
Stallion69
Tutor

Thanks...

Message 3 of 9
Slun80
Star

Just installed the new firmware but having trouble finding info on Ethernet backhaul. Do I just plug my satellites directly into the router in order to boost signal?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 9
psrtx1
Star

Yes, just plug in the network cable between the router and the satalite. It should switch from wireless backhaul to wired after a bit.

Having said that, the whole system is very unstable at the moment. You will get frequent disconnects. With wired backhaul it seems to disconnect lot more then with wireless backhaul.

Message 5 of 9
Slun80
Star

Thanks.  I have a 6100 sq ft home - a walkout two story.  My modem is annoyingly in my basement, so the router is down there as well, but the builder did have the wherewithall to run an ethernet cable from the basement to the first floor and from the basement to the second floor.  I put a satellite on my first floor and a satellite on the second floor, but the connection has cut out three times in the past week in my office (on second floor in the corner of the house).  I downloaded the new firmware and connected the second floor satellite to the cable running up from the router and speed has increased from about 5 to about 15mbps.  Any other thoughts as to what I might do to improve reliability?

Message 6 of 9
psrtx1
Star

There is a major firmware stability issue with the ORBI router right now. So nothing you can do but hope Negear will release a fix for it.

See the thread for the Beta Download - 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-1/td-p/1476960/jump-to/first-unread-message

Message 7 of 9
brenth
Star

Are the satellites connected directly to the RBR50?  Or are they all connected via a switch?  I had a lot of trouble with the satellites not being recognized until I the ethernet runs to the satellites directly to the RBR50.  Probably not an issue for most, but caused me lot of hassle/fiddling.

Message 8 of 9
Slun80
Star

Mine are wired straight to the RBR50.  The only switch I'm using is on the first floor where my smart TV, Xbox One, and DirecTV box are sitting.  I have all of those hard wired to a switch, which is plugged into the RBR50.  With speeds approaching 100mbps on my first floor (my Spectrum limit), I didn't see a reason to plug in the RBS50 there. It's the second floor that was having issues, and so far so good on connecting that to the RBR50 with the new firmware. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7