Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 issues

mgillen
Tutor

Orbi firmware 2.1.2.18 issues

We'll see if the stability issues are improved for other devices, but my Galaxy S6 still has errors "an authentication error occurred".
I pluged in a netgear as an AP so that I an use my phone on my network...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 21
JMU1998
Luminary

@mgillen so your connected device list is OK? Sattalite showing as separate or as a attached device?

Message 2 of 21
mgillen
Tutor

@JMU1998 wrote:

@mgillen so your connected device list is OK? Sattalite showing as separate or as a attached device?

My devices show up properly as they did before. My satellite shows up as a "Connected Satellite".

*Correction to my first post. Connected an ASUS router as an AP for my Phone to use.

Message 3 of 21
JMU1998
Luminary

@mgillen Took v2.1.2.18 a few hrs ago did factory reset, nvram clear now sattalite does not show as connected sattalite but as attached as a device to the main Orbi unit! Yes I rebooted both several times as well anyone else seeing this? a devices show connected to main unit as well so nothing fixed for me.

Message 4 of 21
mgillen
Tutor

After about 6 hours, it rebooted itself.
Message 5 of 21

Oh no not again.... 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 21
bglana
Aspirant

bull**bleep** the whole system

Message 7 of 21
bglana
Aspirant

netgear doesn't like the name ***Bull**bleep****** haha

Message 8 of 21
bglana
Aspirant

it is wasted money and time for that system. I hope everyone can imagine what ***bleep*** means. Welcome to the censorship.

Message 9 of 21
sleepr88
Apprentice

I just want my money back (out of return window)... I will never buy, or recommend any Netgear product again... they have taken way too long to fix any of the issues with the Orbi system

Message 10 of 21

Sleepr88,

Basing our remodeling on this system.  We are across the street from the remodel in an apartment. I tested 2.1.1.16 with wired backhaul and had no reboots for 2 weeks; then I started getting 6 to 10 reboots a day.  I've been up for 3 days so far with no issues on 2.1.12.18.  I'm trying to figure out if it's just iOS  and Google devices bombarding the router that's the issue and waiting for those two to do squat is futile.  Are you running chromecasts or Apple tvs ?  

Message 11 of 21
sleepr88
Apprentice

Android phones, Google CAST devices, and an Apple phone

Message 12 of 21
sleepr88
Apprentice

TP-link, Linksys, and others have already gotten it fixed... How long for a Chromecast/Android fix Netgear?

Message 13 of 21

Sleepr, here's my guess: Orbi touts a kind of system wide QOS distribution where if one connection is using a lot of band width it throttles it - 2.1.12.18 is supposed to address high CPU loads.  I'm guessing the algorithm that governs this throttling is somehow freaked out buy the way iOS and Google devices wake up - apparently they try to catch up on everything they missed while sleeping all at once and the traffic can be overwhelming to the Orbi router. I am also guessing that this a

Is a price we are paying for allowing lazy developers (yes Apple and Google that's you guys...) to use chatty protocols on our network.  There was a time you could get away with it but that time has passed.

I further agree Netgear's handling of this issue is most lame.  If there is an issue you are having trouble solving, tell us what's going on. Don't treat us like Apple treats it's customers, basically as stupid sheep. 

That said I have tested 9 mesh systems (yes, I know Orbi is technically not mesh but spoke and hub..) and as far as signal and throughput go FOR ME,  the hardware is superior. 4 ethernet Potts is a big bonus too...

I  have my runner up, the Linksys Velop sitting here in a box already configured and ready to drop in place.  I have until February 4th to return Orbi.  If it starts rebooting again; back it goes

Thanks for the info, sleepr

Message 14 of 21
sleepr88
Apprentice

The system was awesome for almost a year, but the last few months have been frustrating. And it's not all Google's fault because I have all my CAST devices unplugged and have not had my Android phone on wifi (inconvenient solutions), and the Orbi system is still having issues. I wish I could return the Orbi, but I would just rather they fix it or offer an exchange for the Orbi Pro(I understand there are no issues with it, being business class). Which system would you put in 3rd place? I was thinking about the Velop system, but I'm not sure I can fit it in the budget right now(of course, all the really good ones are pricey). I'll probably just keep waiting on Netgear though, because I would really hate to have something that cost as much as the Orbi system just sitting around. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Message 15 of 21

Asus Lyra is 3rd - solid connectivity but nowhere near the bandwidth. Orbi is essentially the same as wired - in my case 120 up and 8 down. LYRA was 80 and 4. Also range was substantially less - so what Orbi or Velop could handle with 3 units 5 would have been required with Lyra. If you want raw power Ubiquity has without a doubt the most powerful equipment but implementation  is the same as a router with hard wired APs. No beam forming or client switching to the strongest connection provider... I'm am unsure whether clients can actually cooperate with the source switching to the best provider though... I am strongly considering a ubiqui APT for outdoor transmission as the Orbi Outdoor unit is $350 vs. $160 for the Ubiqui weather proof unit.  I think the whole home wifi technology is in Flux right now and I am forced to choose between a "system" vs. a router APT approach. I guess I'm hoping they get their S*** together.... 

Message 16 of 21
sleepr88
Apprentice

Yes, the Orbi system is awesome, when it works right. I really do hope they get it back together. I had thought about Ubiquity, but I'm too old (and/or out of shape... lol) to crawl 70 feet from the access to the other end of the house to wire them all in. 

Message 17 of 21
Oasiz37
Aspirant

Not to steal this topic, just upgraded to 2.1.2.18 from 2.1.2.12. Can't say anything yet about the system stability but immediately saw that NOTHING has changed in the "attached devices" tab. Both satellites with ethernet backhaul are not shown as satellietes but as other wired devices, anything wirelessly connected to a satellite is shown as wired to the router, etc.

I wonder if Netgear even has a QA department.

Message 18 of 21
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear, since you can't seem to fix the Orbi, are you going to start issuing refunds? or exchanging everyone to Orbi Pros (which doesn't appear to have these problems, because you value business customers over regular consumers?)?

Message 19 of 21
mgillen
Tutor

I reinstalled the Orbi on Wednesday, 1/24/18.  It rebooed on Friday, 1/26, but has been stable since.
Of course, I still have the Galaxy S6 Authentication error issue, but am living with it.  I may split the SSID latet this week since it should work-around that issue.

Message 20 of 21
pfbz
Aspirant

Yup, me too.  Love the performance, love the comparative ease of implementation, but a few days in and I'm chasing the same issues... Latest firmware (2.1.2.18).

Connections to satellites go dead. If I walk back to the main router things are good again, and minutes later I can roam back out to a satellite.  

Zero info in logs.  Zero info in admin connectivity panel.

I was warned the Orbi system had some connectivity bugs, but saw all the recent firmware updates and assumed any competent engineering staff would iron out such severe bugs quickly.  My bad for assuming Netgear had a handle on this...

FYI, it was a Costco purchased 1-router, 2-sat system jik it is a bad run of hardware issue....

Netgear?  Is your silence speaking volumes to those are considering dumping the Orbi?  Its a shame as I was considering implementing it in a few more locations.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7