Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware corrupted during update

Kent-M
Follower

Orbi firmware corrupted during update

Orbi app on iPhone showed a firmware update was available, so I initiated update from Orbi app.  Router now appears bricked.  After update attempt, the power light was flashing red (corrupted firmware).  Now, after a few power cycles, it has a steady green power light and LED router ring remains flashing white (booting up).  It stays stuck in the boot-up stage.  I've tried using paperclip on reset button, but power light stays solid green no matter how long I depress the reset button, and the LED router ring continues to flash white.

Any suggestions on what to do??

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware corrupted during update

You can give this a try:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

Use the TFTP program thats built into windows, do NOT use the on stated in the link. It doesn't work. The one built in with windows does. 

You'll need a LAN wired PC connected with the router. 

IF this fails, you'll need to contact NG support and ask for an RMA. 

I recommend doing any FW updates with a LAN wired PC connected to the router. 

Message 2 of 6
bmelvin
Guide

The same thing happened to me. Last Netgear device I ever buy. What do us lowly Mac users do?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the recovery process to see if you can get the unit back in operation? Ask a neighbor, friend or family member with a Winodws PC to barrow or help you with. Mac has TFTP programs available too I believe. Myabe even built in to OSX. Smiley Surprised

If not, you should try it, or contact NG support and ask for an RMA...Nothing else we can do for you here in the forums.

@bmelvin wrote:

The same thing happened to me. Last Netgear device I ever buy. What do us lowly Mac users do?

Message 4 of 6
bmelvin
Guide

Thanks - This page has good instructions for Windows users: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client - It is left as an exercise for MacOS users to translate the instructions to Mac. Eventually, I figured it out. Requires some Ethernet config work in the Network control panel, and then tftp in the Terminal to send the downloaded file. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working.

Enjoy.

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo