Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware incorrect

PeterJuett
Aspirant

Orbi firmware incorrect

We've been having internet dropouts on connections through our RBR50/RBS50 system which has worked fine for several years until recently.. Connections through the RBR50 seem ok but connections through the RBS50 are intermittent. I checked to see if the firmware was up to date and found the Router firmware was up todate (V2.3.5.30). While the On-line Update showed the Satellite firmware status was "No Internet'  and the firmware version was V2.0.0.74.   As recommended I tried updating the Satellite firmware to V2.2.1.212 (before stepping up to V2.5.1.8) but get the following error "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product". Repeated the download off the net and upload to the Satellite several times with no joy.  I'm stumped. Is it because the Router somehow auto updated to the newest firmware and for some reason the Satellite missed the update? Is there a fix?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi firmware incorrect

If you have the RBS latest v2.5.1.8 on your PC. Wire connect your PC to the back of the RBS. Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Wait about 5 minutes. Use IE11 or FireFox or Opera and navigate to 192.168.1.250. Use admin and password to log in. Use the RBSs web page to send the FW file to the RBS directly. Once sent, let it process. You can check to see if it updated by logging bacck in again. After checking the version, log out. Disconnect the PC from the RBS. Re-sync the RBS to the RBR. 

If the RBR needs to be updated, update the RBR to v2.5.1.8. 

@PeterJuett wrote:

Good point Tom.  I've downloaded RBS50-V2.2.1.212 and RBS50-V2.3.5.30. never images upload without the 401 error.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you perform the manual update by connecting directly to the satellite (using its IP address)?

Message 2 of 10
PeterJuett
Aspirant

Tried accessing the Satellite (192:168:0:4) but couldnt open Web based console. Is there another way in?
Message 3 of 10
PeterJuett
Aspirant

Tried accessing the Satellite (192:168:0:4) but couldnt open Web based console. Is there another way in? One thing I noticed the Router status shows the Satellite is wired but the ethernet between Router and remote is not connected. The backhaul status is good.
Message 4 of 10
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Make sure you are installing the RBS image file on the satellite, not the RBR image file (which is for the router).

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 10
PeterJuett
Aspirant

followed the guide in the Users Manual to manually update the Satellite but the only response I get from the unit is:

<html><head><meta http-equiv='Pragma' content='no-cache'><meta http-equiv='Cache-Control' content='no-cache'><title> 401 Authorization</title>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
function cancelevent()
{
top.location.href='/unauth.cgi';
}
</script>
</head><body onload=cancelevent()></body></html>

Message 6 of 10
PeterJuett
Aspirant

Good point Tom.  I've downloaded RBS50-V2.2.1.212 and RBS50-V2.3.5.30. never images upload without the 401 error.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have the RBS latest v2.5.1.8 on your PC. Wire connect your PC to the back of the RBS. Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Wait about 5 minutes. Use IE11 or FireFox or Opera and navigate to 192.168.1.250. Use admin and password to log in. Use the RBSs web page to send the FW file to the RBS directly. Once sent, let it process. You can check to see if it updated by logging bacck in again. After checking the version, log out. Disconnect the PC from the RBS. Re-sync the RBS to the RBR. 

If the RBR needs to be updated, update the RBR to v2.5.1.8. 

@PeterJuett wrote:

Message 8 of 10
PeterJuett
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38, That worked a treat!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors