Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

BretD
Admin

Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

We’ve been monitoring issues that some customers have experienced in OrbiOS 2.1.4. In response, we’re releasing firmware that provides a permanent fix for the homekit issue along with various other fixes.  Please use the manual firmware upgrade process to apply to your Orbi.

Release note:
  • Fixes issues with the Apple HomeKit connectivity
  • Fixes the wireless crash and reboot issue when the router is under stress
  • Fixes WiFi disconnection and IOT issues
  • Fixes an issue where devices on the Guest Network are able to see (but not connect to) some devices on the main network
  • Fixes an issue where device boot order caused devices connected over Ethernet Backhaul to connect wireless backhaul
  • Updates the OpenVPN certificate from MD5 to SHA-256

Note:

CBR40 will be available later this month. 

We look forward to hearing your feedback.

-NETGEAR Team
Message 1 of 809
jmschnur923
Luminary

Can we wait until the RBS50sy firmware is out to update ? Or will it happen automatically?

Message 2 of 809
Stratguru
Tutor

Hi @BretD,

The Guest Network is still NOT isolated with this new Firmware version 2.1.4.16 in the link below. I can’t believe this is still an unresolved topic and we are continued to be taunted with this unless check box in the Guest Network Settings “Allow guests to see each other and access my local network” ….  WHY do you hate us.. the loyal customer that goes out of our way to spend time writing on the community board time and time again about the same unresolved topic?... but I hear Orbi Pro is doing fantastic.. thanks to the Obri Home community complaining about this over and over again and @johngm reading the post.  Good job testing before you got my hopes up with the exquisite release notes..

• Fixes an issue where devices on the Guest Network are able to see (but not connect to) some devices on the main network 

NOPE!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 809
jcalex22
Star

Having a great experience with firmware 2.1.1.14 after I increased the Advertisement Time to Live(in hops) to 16 in UPnP section under advanced settings. File transfers are rock solid now.

Just updated to 2.1.4.16 and expect continued good results.

It took a long time to get the firmware right, but now I'm loving my Orbi system. No complains here. Good job!

Message 4 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

The post says it's a manual update for now.
Message 5 of 809
mrbofus
Aspirant

Does anyone know if the Orbi system will auto-update to a non-beta firmware after we install beta firmware?  i.e., if I install the 2.1.4.16 update, when Netgear releases the final version, will Orbi auto-update as usual, or will I have to manually install the public release?

Message 6 of 809
Landerx
Apprentice

So far so good. No disconnections on my pixel C.
Message 7 of 809
angr
Star

<remove>

Message 8 of 809
RobertoGarner
Aspirant

What should i do if my Orbi firmware is not automatically updating?

Message 9 of 809
Wizec
Apprentice

The last sentence in the first paragraph states “Please use the manual firmware upgrade process to apply to your Orbi.”
Message 10 of 809
manofice
Virtuoso

Still haven't fixed ethernet backhaul. I updated my RBR50 and satellite to this firmware, all was well for a minute or two, then the network crashed and had no internet. Multiple reboots and still no internet. I unplugged the ethernet backhaul link and rebooted the router and all is working again on the wireless backhaul...ugh.

Message 11 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there any network switches in between the router and satellite? If so, Mfr and model# please.

Is daisy chain disabled on the router before connecting the ethernet cable?

@manofice wrote:

Still haven't fixed ethernet backhaul. I updated my RBR50 and satellite to this firmware, all was well for a minute or two, then the network crashed and had no internet. Multiple reboots and still no internet. I unplugged the ethernet backhaul link and rebooted the router and all is working again on the wireless backhaul...ugh.

Message 12 of 809
manofice
Virtuoso

Can you elaborate a bit on what changing the UPNP time hop settings does?

Message 13 of 809
manofice
Virtuoso

No, no switches in between. Was working OK prior to the firmware upgrade. After the firmware upgrade, systems were all running ok for a few minutes, then it all came down.

Message 14 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, if you have done reboots, disabled Daisy Chain and such, I would do a factory reset on both satellite and router and set up from scratch.

After the router is set up and Daisy chain is disabled first. Disconnect ALL other LAN cable devices accept for 1 wired PC. Re-add the satellite via wifi. Let is sync and get BLUE led on top. Then reconnect the Satellite with the ethernet cable. Give 5 minutes and wait for the top BLUE led to appear. YOu could do this with the Satellite near the router if you want to, then if you can get the satellite synced with wired back haul, turn off then replace back at remote location. Then re-connect all other LAN devices back to the router.

@manofice wrote:

No, no switches in between. Was working OK prior to the firmware upgrade. After the firmware upgrade, systems were all running ok for a few minutes, then it all came down.

Message 15 of 809
ktula
Apprentice

Do RBR50 and RBS50 use the same firmware? Both download links for RBR50 and RBS50 get the same RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img file on my MacBook.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 16 of 809
ktula
Apprentice

Oh i see the issue now. The firmware download site does not really allow you to concurrently download multiple firmware updates at the same time. If you do that, it will get only one version of the firmware update.

Message 17 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be different model #'s. 

Message 18 of 809
ktula
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Should be different model #'s. 

This is what happened. I clicked on the link to the firmware update for RBR50 first, which opened a new tab in Safari. Then i clicked on the link for RBS50 and it opened another new tab. When i went to the tab for the RBR50 firmware update and click on "Download file", it proceeded to download RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img. I was incorrect when i mentioned concurrent download was an issue. Looks like the issue is with opening multiple tabs to different firmware updates in the browser (Safari). If you didn't click on the "Download file" link in the first tab to download the firmware update before you open a second or third tab for a different firmware update, the firmware update in the last opened tab will be the one you will be downloading even if you go back to the first tab to download that different firmware update.

Message 19 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. Ya, should be different model listed in the file name. Same FW version listed for all though. 

Message 20 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

I see that performing a factory reset is being mentioned again.......... I do hope we don't have to do this with every firmware..... I mean I have an orbi outdoor unit & having to unscrew it is a pain in the a$$ =( 

Message 21 of 809
jcalex22
Star

Sure, no problem. When I tried to transfer any movie file to my Nvidia Shield HD it would transfer about 75% for the file (2.5 GB) and then time out. By increasing the hop times I was able to complete the transfers without a problem. It may be an Android OS thing, but  this got it working.

Message 22 of 809
mbski
Guide

I am so sick of this pile of crap, wired backhaul causing the entire unit to crash every 5 seconds. WiFi is unusable with this new SW version. 2.1.4.16  Yes I’ve started with a factory reset, and have tried re-booting router and RBS50, no luck here. Had to ditch the wired backhaul. What a pile. Would never recommend this to my worst enemy. Netgear what gives? Are you employing incompetent people?

if one of my companies products worked like this we would throw our best staff at the problem, and work 24/7 to get it right. You are destroying your reputation by allowing this to continue.

frustrated consumer that gave netgear over $600.00 only to be regretting it.

Message 23 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

2.1.4.16 seems to be working well, wireless and wired seem to be a little more zippy now, no problems with my wires backhaul either, in speed tests I am seeing jitter at or close to 0 prior to this update it was 1 to 2 ms. Those having issues might want to try a factory reset. 

Message 24 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

Oh well, that didnt last long.

Same issue persists. The difference now, it appears while using the device, whereas previoulsy, it happened upon waking.

Ipad shows connected to wifi and internet drops out.  Ipad wifi must by cycled to reconnect again.

Support can reach out to me for logs, I have them saved.

Back to the locked room for more exercizes in futility.

Message 25 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7