Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

bryandmlee
Apprentice

You need to open either of the links first, finish that download, before opening the second link and then downloading that instead. There are definitely two different firmware update files for the routers and satellites.

Your scenario where both downloads show the same file/name happens because you opened both links first before initiating the downloads: unfortunately the intermediate step (showing Uploaded on, File name, File size, and Download file) always uses the URL https://files.netgear-support.com/go/index.php?action=d&step=3, so it just ends up serving the most recent file requested by the browser (based on your screenshot, you opened the link for the Router file first, followed by the Satellite file, which is why "both" downloads serve up the Satellite file).

I suppose Netgear (cc: @BretD) could improve on the intermediate download step, or at the very least leave an instruction with the download links to open and download each link strictly one at a time.

@TECHX2001 wrote:

If the RBR50 and RBS50 share the same firmware than I have a few questions:

• Why generate two unique hyperlinks pointing to two product downloads.
  • Why provide the file names if they will not match downloaded file name

And to one the previous posterers: no, the file names are not unique when downloading at least not for me.  Unless I'm facing some strange browser bug.  See screenshot.  This appears to be an error in upload or in redirection when downloading the file.  Can someone else attempt to download the firmware from both links and tell me the download name for both shows as RBS50?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 76 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

No issues.  Mine is working perfectly - best its ever been.  I have four Lifx globes, and I bought my Orbi RBK50 system mid March, and since then, I have had varying success with the Orbis, Lifx and Homekit.  The beta FW just before 14 was the best, but two days ago I downloaded and installed FW V2.1.4.16.  By the way, my Orbis are in Access Point mode.

Here's what happened

• There is one router and one satellite.  The router shows 27 attached devices, 7 wired, and the satellite shows 14.
  • It took about an hour of pink and blue ovals on both devices after I manually installed the FW (satellite first).  I reverted to WiFi backhaul and once everything settled, I plugged in my Ethernet backhaul cable to the satellite with no problems
  • After power-cycling a few devices, they eventually sorted themselves out and attached to the nearest Orbi
  • Every device connected at 2.4Ghz is only able to do that - they have no 5Ghz capability (Lifx, iRobot, TP-Link switches, Google Chromecast and Wemo Link)
  • Every device capable of both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (Apple, Google and Amazon stuff) is connected at 5Ghz
  • Four Lifx globes connect to their own cloud, and also to Homekit, with no fuss.  Until V2.1.4.16, a couple of Lifx globes connected but, despite bring fixed, wandered between the satellite and the router, but no more, for at least 48 hours.

I have Mac computer hardware, which runs a Mac app called WiFi explorer that shows signal strength and stability amongst other things.  In the following snapshot the 2.4Ghz (blue) line shows the strongest signal but is less stable than the rock-solid 5Ghz line.  (If I moved closer to the satellite it would rise to the top) 

Here's a snapshot of my router config

Message 77 of 809
Dwtk
Tutor

I was having iPhone and iPad issues for a while tried a bunch of stuff . Didn’t work . Finally I bit the bullet took a back up config . Did a factory reset upload clean firmware and applied config back . So far no major issues . I think the issue might be with incremental updates .
Message 78 of 809
Kev77
Tutor

I have tried downloading the file for the RBR50 and RBS50 but it tells me the img file is corrupt and won't let me go any further. Any help on that? Thanks

Message 79 of 809
DNichter
Star

This router is terrible. I have had nothing but problems with my HomeKit set up. It works fine for me, but my girlfriends phone keeps losing connection whenever she is off the home network. Anyone know of a fix? If I revert back to the previous, will it auto update? I wish I could just return it as I would in a second.

Message 80 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using IE11 or FF browsers to download and manually udpate the Orbi system. Be LAN wired to the router when updgrading FW.

Besure to clear out all browser caches before and after sending the FW file.

I would factory reset the entire Orbi system and set up from scratch.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1587071/highli...

@Kev77 wrote:

I have tried downloading the file for the RBR50 and RBS50 but it tells me the img file is corrupt and won't let me go any further. Any help on that? Thanks

Message 81 of 809
Kev77
Tutor

I've downloaded on FF, Chrome, and Edge and get the same result. When I try to mount it, it says its corrupt. When i try to open with Winzip, I get the same result. Surely I'm doing something wrong 

Message 82 of 809
Kev77
Tutor

Scratch that, I got it. Thanks for the replies

Message 83 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

What did you do?

@Kev77 wrote:

Scratch that, I got it. Thanks for the replies

Message 84 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Because the distance between each orbi is too far for the wifi backhaul to reach. With Ethernet backhaul I get a seem less wifimesh. My house is prewired with Ethernet so this was easy to set up.
Message 85 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1587071/highli...

and https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1586988/highli...

Might try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and test.

What is the distance beween the router and satellite(s)?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

@DNichter wrote:

This router is terrible. I have had nothing but problems with my HomeKit set up. It works fine for me, but my girlfriends phone keeps losing connection whenever she is off the home network. Anyone know of a fix? If I revert back to the previous, will it auto update? I wish I could just return it as I would in a second.

Message 86 of 809
DNichter
Star

I appreciate the guidance and will definitely take a look, but this shouldn't be this difficult. I have a 2000 saure foot house, router is upstairs in my office and satellite is downstairs in the kitchen. Maybe 35 feet in a straight line. I am using a surfboard arris modem.

Message 87 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok distance is good.

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Whats the model# of the arris modem?

@DNichter wrote:

I appreciate the guidance and will definitely take a look, but this shouldn't be this difficult. I have a 2000 saure foot house, router is upstairs in my office and satellite is downstairs in the kitchen. Maybe 35 feet in a straight line. I am using a surfboard arris modem.

Message 88 of 809
DNichter
Star

ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Message 89 of 809
DNichter
Star

No other routers nearby.

Message 90 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any of the suggestions help.

Also Try using manual channels on 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

Your SB6190 does have a known issue, however I don't think that would be causing your problems here.

@DNichter wrote:

No other routers nearby.

Message 91 of 809
DNichter
Star

Yea I don't think it's the modem because all was working fine with my old router set up, and on the last firmware. Can I revert to the old firmware or will it auto update? Any suggestions on a router set up where I won't have constant issues?

Message 92 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the suggestions first before atteming to downgrade.

@DNichter wrote:

Yea I don't think it's the modem because all was working fine with my old router set up, and on the last firmware. Can I revert to the old firmware or will it auto update? Any suggestions on a router set up where I won't have constant issues?

Message 93 of 809
DNichter
Star

What suggestions? Nothing is clear on this topic. Try this, maybe that, is there an order to things, what should I try first, try all of them? I need clearer directions in order to do so.

Message 94 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Review this:

and https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1586988/highli...

Might try disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and test.

Set manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

Set WPA2 and AES only.

If this still fails, do the factory reset on the router and satellite and setup from scatch as the one user just posted about...

Message 95 of 809
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The firmware for the Outdoor Orbi RBS50Y is now posted.

DarrenM

Message 96 of 809
psrtx1
Star

FURRYe38 I am curious to know what you have done with the "Mfr and model#" of network switches you keep asking everyone for? Are you providing that to Netgear? If they need it why don't they ask for it instead of having you collect it (unless you work for Netgear)? Do yo know have the database of which switches work and which don't?
Message 97 of 809
budy
Luminary

…yeah… I'be been asking this question to myself as well, already. Afaik, no solid switch, be it a managed or unmanged one, should interfere with the Orbi setup. I do have managed an unmanaged switches on my home network and it never did affect my Orbis in any way.

I'd also be quite reluctant to tell everybody what exact network equipment I am running on my private network - aside from the Orbis, which is of course obvious. Smiley Wink

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 98 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Reason for asking for Mfr and Model# of swtiches is to help identify if switches being use are managed or non manged. There have been others reporting problems with Managed switches with Orbi systems. Also have users reporting no problems with non managed switches. Some users don't know how to identify what they have so I ask so I can help them figure that out. One user reported that disabling IGMP protocols on the Managed switch helped him so I've been passing this along as well. Were not data collecting, just trying to help troubleshoot issues seen with managed switches. So asking for switch information isn't a security issue. Valid troubleshooting step is all.

Users using manages switches should take them out of the mixed while trouble shooting wired back haul issues. Compaire with non managed swiches if one is available. Try disabling IGMP protcols. If this still fails to fix wired back haul problems, you'll need to contact NG support and let them know.

I 've had ZERO issues with wired back haul while using two non managed switches on my network with the Orbi system I have.

Message 99 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

I have a non managed Cisco SG100-16 16-Port Gigabit Switch (SG100-16-NA). My Ethernet backhaul was working fine on 2.1.2.18 but since then every auto upgrade kills the entire network. I have 1 RBR50 router and 2 RBS50 satellites. All are beyond wifi backhaul range and require Ethernet to talk. When I run 2.1.2.18 with Ethernet backhaul my entire home has a clean mesh running. Every week now I need to reflash back to this old firmware to make sure my security system and all other internet based items can work. Ugh, painful.
Message 100 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7