Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

FURRYe38
Guru

Some have mentioned doing a factory reset and set up from scratch:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1587071/highli...

Whats your process after the FW has updated to most recent?

Usully a full reboot should work. I believe one user said to disconnect everything from the Orbi system accecpt for the satellite(s). Get the satellites working on wifi first, then connect the ethernet and let the one satellite re-configure, give 5 minutes. Top led should turn BLUE. Do same for 2nd satellite if you have one.

Some say to disable daisy chain on the router. You'll need to try this out enable or disabled to see what works. Disabled should work best.

If you can get ethernet backhaul working then re-connect all other LAN devices.

@e1superman wrote:
I have a non managed Cisco SG100-16 16-Port Gigabit Switch (SG100-16-NA). My Ethernet backhaul was working fine on 2.1.2.18 but since then every auto upgrade kills the entire network. I have 1 RBR50 router and 2 RBS50 satellites. All are beyond wifi backhaul range and require Ethernet to talk. When I run 2.1.2.18 with Ethernet backhaul my entire home has a clean mesh running. Every week now I need to reflash back to this old firmware to make sure my security system and all other internet based items can work. Ugh, painful.

Message 101 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

This is just Silly, sorry.

As I said, my units are beyond wifi range of each other. I can't do this every time power goes out or another FW is released (even if this works). This seems like a kitchen sink debug method.

Easy fix (for now). Allow us to turn off auto update.
Message 102 of 809
psrtx1
Star

I agree, having to power up devices in specific sequence is un-realistic and so is the expectation to do a factory reset with every firmware update.

If Netgear feels that this is the solution after over 6 months of issue with wired network backhaul then the product needs to be recalled.

Message 103 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

LMAO ... reminds me of the old days of Windows support ...

"Just restore the PC to its original state"  ....  WTH

Message 104 of 809
globespy
Apprentice

Whilst I agree that technology should be able to self manage the startup sequence, unfortunately it's not always foolproof and doing things manually is required.

I don't like it more than the next guy, but if it means things work then it's worth the effort.

For the record, I just did the manual FW update on my RBK53 - first each satellite separately, then the router.

Didn't unplug my ethernet backhaul to the satellites in other parts of the house, didn't do a factory reset, didn't have to unplug anything and didn't have to go looking for a paperclip.

Everything back up with all my settings in less than 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but following simple instructions isn't difficult and now I can get on with my weekend.

Thanks Netgear!

Message 105 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Kill the power to everything and restart. Does it stick? Not likely...
Message 106 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I have no idea what this means

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 107 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

Well, I'm in AP mode running through a managed switch without issues - no IGMP snoop enabled, but quite honestly I've always felt the 'managed switch' business was a red herring.

Message 108 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

I run routing mode which I suspect is where the issue is (IP assignments get all messed up).
Message 109 of 809
AKLGUY
Apprentice

I just purchased purchased the RBK50, Using the Satelitte to connect via WIFI back to the main unit. While it has improved my WIFI in my house dramatically. I did kinda home to have the Satelittle unit as ethernet backhaul.

Where I have my Satelitte I do have ethernet coming (out of the ethernet port of the main Orbi) up to my home office to a Network Switch where I am running my Printer, 2x NAS and main PC. with another cable going to the next room where there is another switch for AppleTV and InternetTV box. but when I plug in the Satelitte Orbi into that box, It crashes my entire network.

Any Suggestions? I had this, so then upgraded to 2.1.4.16 and same trouble.

Is it best to have my Ethernet Connection coming from the Main Orbi directly to my Satelittle and then the 2 switches into the back of the Satelittle? Or does it not matter?

Message 110 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

@AKLGUY wrote:

I just purchased purchased the RBK50, Using the Satelitte to connect via WIFI back to the main unit. While it has improved my WIFI in my house dramatically. I did kinda home to have the Satelittle unit as ethernet backhaul.

Where I have my Satelitte I do have ethernet coming (out of the ethernet port of the main Orbi) up to my home office to a Network Switch where I am running my Printer, 2x NAS and main PC. with another cable going to the next room where there is another switch for AppleTV and InternetTV box. but when I plug in the Satelitte Orbi into that box, It crashes my entire network.

Any Suggestions? I had this, so then upgraded to 2.1.4.16 and same trouble.

Is it best to have my Ethernet Connection coming from the Main Orbi directly to my Satelittle and then the 2 switches into the back of the Satelittle? Or does it not matter?

Unfortunately, until Netgear listens to the networking professionals here who have explained (and demonstrated) several times that the issue lies with Netgear disabling STP, there's no real solution short of plugging the satellite into Ethernet, letting it grind for 3-5 minutes, and the network storm eventually subsiding on its own.

Message 111 of 809
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Thank you rhester72.

Are you saying if I plug it in, then let it grind away for (upto) 5 minutes. It should come right? or will it randomly drop out again?

Message 112 of 809
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

Just loaded this update to the router and satellites and I'm happy to report that all HomeKit accessories are once again online and responding. Things were working for a brief time with 2.1.4.10 but after about 10-20 minutes some devices would stop responding again while others would never become available.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 113 of 809
Dd852
Luminary

Thanks - smooth manual update  , no need for me to do factory reset or even to reboot the satellite (which i always had to do beforre to get a good connection). So far so good on all attached devices... showing a touch more latency than before though that could be for any number of unconnected reasons. Homekit working perfectly. 

Message 114 of 809
stuartmunro
Tutor

I've updated to 2.1.4.16 but both of my satellites are still showing as being connected by 5G rather than ethernet backhaul.

I am using a SG200-26 26-Port Gigabit Smart Switch.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 115 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@stuartmunro I have same issue I have Netgear Nighthawk S8000 switch between main unit and satellite, one would wonder Netgear would have their own devices talk to each other.

Message 116 of 809
VGS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I am trying to download RBW30-V2.1.4.16_1.0.17.chk but the download speed is too slow and after a while download stops (Failed - Network error)

Not a pro user at all 🙂

Any other download link or any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Vangelis

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 117 of 809
rhester72
Virtuoso

@AKLGUY wrote:

Thank you rhester72.

Are you saying if I plug it in, then let it grind away for (upto) 5 minutes. It should come right? or will it randomly drop out again?

On paper, yes, though I have seen a few cases of other upstream (wired) devices echoing/magnifying the packet storm such that it can never recover.  *Most* people are fine if they just literally leave it be for 3-5 minutes.

Message 118 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

Waited till RBS50Y variant of this firmware was released to update all of them.  This is the first time all units have been on the exact same level of firmware in a long time (RBS50Y was always a bit different/behind).  I have daisy chain enabled and using it for one satellite.  I updated that satellite first, then the other two satellites that talk direct to router, then the router.  All devices came back up and all clients that autoconnect were reconnected within 8 minutes of start of update of the router.

The only issue I have outstanding and its been around since the beginning on the RBS50Y, is that I cannot assign a DHCP reservation for the RBS50Y (I prefer to assign IPs for the Network equipment, Network Printers, etc).  When trying from the webpage for doing so, I always get a error of " 400 Bad Request This server does not support the operation requested by your client."  The only drawback is that I don't always know the internal IP of the RBS50Y, but it only seems to change addresses when updates happen.

Message 119 of 809

As long as I have had my Orbi AC3000 two unit system, I have problems with Orbi keeping my internet connection.  I am connected to the internet via an xfinity cable modem.  Prior to Orbi, I was connected to the same xfinity cable modem with my Netgear WNDR37AV and I had NO internet connectivity issues.  Orbi does provide better coverage area and higher throughput, but all of that is negated when Orbi cannot hold an internet connection.

This leads me to my current problem with your support team.  Yesterday, 6/8/18, your support tech suggested that I update to Orbi firmware version 2.1.4.16 for both the router and the satellite (RBR50 and RBS50).  The first firmware update was to the RBS50 satellite and that seemed to upload sucessfully.  The next firmware update was to the RBR50 router and using Chrome, I received the message that Orbi could not connect to the internet to perform the firmware upgrade.  So, your tech had me try using Windows Edge browser.  (I am running Windows 10 Home edition.)  When I tried the firmware upgrade using the Edge browser, I received a different error message that leads me to believe that the RBR50-V2.1.4.16.img file is corrupt.  

I know that I should have probably grabbed screen shots or I should have written down the exact error message.  However, your support got me so mad that I was not thinking clearly.  All your support tech would suggest is that I go to one of my neighbors and ask to borrow a different laptop or PC to try updating my Orbi RBR50 firmware.  Really?  I am supposed to ask a neighbor to lend me their laptop/PC?  

Your tech said that he would escalate my case to Level 2 support.  But, it is now over 24 hours later and I have yet to hear from anyone at Netgear.

Honestly, I believe your .img file might be corrupt since both Chrome and Edge had problems with it.  

In any case, I NEED NETGEAR SUPPORT HELP TO FIX MY ORBI INTERNET CONNECTIVITY ISSUES.

Please offer me a better solution.  I was so frustrated yesterday that I felt like taking ALL of my Netgear equipment -- my Orbi AC3000, my Arlo Pro 2 double base units with 6 cameras, my older Netgear routers (I think I have two more in addition to the WNDR37AV) -- and toss all of my Netgear products in the trash!!!

Please help me.

Signed, frustrated3610

Message 120 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Other than price can any one tell me a single reason not to return my Orbi back to Costco and trade for a Linksys Velop? I use ethernet backhaul which they support so there is no advantage to the 5Ghz backhaul the Orbi has. The Velops are also hands down more stable. I'm tired of losing internet without notice everyweek until I reflash firmware.
Message 121 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

@e1superman they all have their own set of problems and issues , get away from one type of headache and start another different headache 

Message 122 of 809
st_shaw
Master

@frustrated3610 Others (including me) have updated their RBR50s with the posted .img file, so it's unlikely the posted file is corrupted.  The file might be corrupted on your computer though.  Try deleting the .img file on your computer, and then download it again.  Then, if your computer has wired Ethernet, connect your computer to the router with a wire.  If you don't have wired Ethernet, then you can use WiFi, but move close to the router so you have a good signal.  You can also turn off the satellite(s) to be certain your computer's WiFi connects directly to the router.  Once connected, log into the router's admin webpage and do the update manually.

Message 123 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Can you be specific on what issues Velops have? From what I read their firmware is stable and they don't have issues like this. All the reviews basically say the advantage of Orbi is the dedicated 5Hz backhaul.
Message 124 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

Message 125 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7