Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

e1superman
Apprentice

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

You do realize those threads are mostly 9 months to a year old, versus when you read the Orbi threads here we have dozens of threads on critical bugs plaguing us now. Also, to my knowledge Velops don't force you to auto update. Huge benefit so you can pick a firmware version that is stable for you and not upgrade unless you need a new or improved feature (versus auto update and having things break or take your entire system down).
Message 126 of 809
computersteve
Apprentice

All these threads have current posters... if you go to the last pages. Yes not exactly today but kinda current. 

Message 127 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

I can't talk to other issues but their ethernet backhaul is solid and has been around much longer than Orbi. For those of us that need that feature, when it isn't working (which is now) our units are paper weights unless we flash to an old version... And wait for the next auto update to tank the network.
Message 128 of 809

@st_shaw Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try again.  FYI, I am connected by wire from the xfinity cable moden directly to my Orbi RBR50; then by wire (the supplied wire from Netgear) directly to a new HP PC running Windows 10 Home.  I do not have internet connectivity problems if I connect my old Netgear WNDR37AV but the bandwidth and range do not compare to Orbi's.  Also, I am doing a manual update.  Here goes my next attempt ...     Stick around and I will give an update as to my success or failure.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 129 of 809

@st_shaw and others.  Success with the firmware update to version 2.1.4.16 on both my satellite and the router.  I deleted the previous copy and then downloaded the update .img file.  This worked for the update.  Thanks!

Now, if my internet connectivity is fixed, then I will be a happy camper -- at least for now.  I was losing my internet connectivity at my personal Windows 10 PC (connected by wire); my employer's Windows 7 PC (connected by wire); my Samsung 8 smartphone (wireless) and my wife's iPhone 7 (also wireless).  None of these connections were ever reliable.  So, now it is time to see if v2.1.4.16 fixes our connectivity issues -- and hoping that I do not have any new issues pop up.

Thanks again.

New question:  The first Netgear tech I had earlier this week had me:  1) change the MTU size from the default 1500 to 1420; 2) change the wireless 2.4 GHz channel from "auto" to 6; and 3) change the 5GHz channel to 44 from 48.  Does anyone on this community forum have any comments (pro or con) as to what the netgear tech had me do?  Thanks in advance.

Message 130 of 809
st_shaw
Master

@frustrated3610 Good to hear the update worked.

You should definitely use manual channel assignment on 2.4 GHz and use only channels 1, 6, or 11.

The MTU change is usually not required, but can be necessary if you are running VPN or have a PPPOE connection.

I don't think the 5 GHz channel change will have much effect, as Orbi will still use the same 80 GHz channel.  It will only affect how Orbi responds if there are other WiFi APs operating on that channel.  Unless you did a channel scan with a WiFi scnaning app,  and gave the data to NETGEAR, I doubt it would have much effect.

You should not be having Internet drops with wired connections.  That points to a problem between the xfinity modem and Orbi. 

If your xfnity "modem" contains a router, then you should either 1) set the modem into "bridged" mode, if it supports it, OR 2) run Orbi in access point mode.

You said your old NETGEAR router had no issues dropping the Internet.  You can just put the old router back into service (as a router only), turn off its WiFi radios, and switch Orbi to Access Point mode.  Then you should have zero problems. That's similar to how I run my Orbi.  I have DSL modem, Mikrotik router, and Orbi in Access Point mode.  I've had zero issues since installing Orbi 17 months ago.

Message 131 of 809

@st_shaw  Thanks!  I will keep all of this in mind.  Take care.

Message 132 of 809
jmschnur923
Luminary

Updated my three sat System .One is the rbs50y the others 

are 2 RBS50s and the rbk50 router. They are daisy chained with the Y as the link for one of my indoor sats. I updated the daisy chain sat then the rest. All is working fine so far.

Message 133 of 809
manuel-c23
Star

RBK40, v2.1.4.16

1) Ethernet backhaul issues after reboot are not really fixed and I'd say they are even worse than in v. 2.1.4.10. Internet connection doesn't work and I get the yellow triangle on Windows.

2) On Windows, I get 3 on 4 wi-fi bars instead of 4 on 4 bars at about 40 cm (15 inches) from the satellite. How is that possible? The signal strength should be at maximum level when I'm so close to the satellite.

3) Internet connection is sluggish, I can't watch a video on YouTube without continuous freezes.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 134 of 809
manuel-c23
Star

I just did a speed test, I have a 40 mbit/s Internet connection, but I get under 1 mbit/s from the Orbi satellite, and I'm at 40 cm (15 inches) from it (Ethernet backhaul).

Message 135 of 809
Nexium
Initiate

I just registered for the first and last time to post  my experience with the Orbi RBK50 kit and RBW30. I purchased the RBK50 back in 2017 and later needed to add RBW30 in early 2018.  The nuances with WIFI disconnections the other Netgear forums posts had reported  in the past about the Orbi system I've also experienced, but was infrequent for the first few months and thought future firmware fixes will address these issues eventually.   Up until this Orbi Mesh System, I've had a pretty good no issues experience with several Netgear WNDR routers in the past and recommeded family and friends to Netgear up until this Orbi line of product. I understand there is no one perfect brand  and each have their own issues of some kind. I'm not a novice when it comes to troubleshooting network devices, but I do know when you purchase a "working" product it should work right out of the box to some degree, with some issues ironed out in the beginnning with firmware updates is understandable but that's not the case with the Orbi RBK50 kit.  I've been keeping up with the issues since around Sept. 2017, workarounds, and firmware updates to date from these Netgear forums. Sure it's got better, but still unreliable. I'm not here for troubleshooting advice, but this firmware update v2.1.4.16 was the last chance I gave Netgear to  fix all WIFI disconnection issues I've experienced with Orbi .  I've performed the firmware update to all of my Orbi devices to v.2.1.4.16 and performed factory reset to all my Orbi devices. Worked for about a day before disconnection issues came back. I really didn't want to spend more money for an alternate Mesh system out there if I didn't have to, but this whole Orbi system has wasted too much of my time and over the course of  almost a  year waiting for a stable firmware fix. I've come to a conclusion myself that this Orbi product line is simply unreliable and add my recommendation to others to stay away from Netgear's Orbi products.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 136 of 809
stuartmunro
Tutor

I should also point out that the Beta version 2.1.3.4 recognised the ethernet wired backhaul perfectly but the auto update to 2.1.4.10 broke it again and the latest beta 2.1.4.16 has failed to fix it. 

I though Netgear had gone back to a base firmware to get to 2.1.3.4 because of the mulitple issues that had arisen as the firmware had been updated.  Can't they just start from this as a base or use the relevant code from 2.1.3.4 for the ethernet backhaul ?

This is getting really silly.  My 90 days support ran out a few days before the auto update broke the ethernet backhaul so I can't get assistance from Netgear, there are multiple postings on here that things still aren't right and there seems to be no solution in sight and no communication from Netgear.  I have stuck with Netgear for many years because they have been really reliable and a cut above some of the other manufacturers but this is really trying my patience.  The kit is also not cheap.

Come on Netgear.  Please help us. 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 137 of 809
gr0uch
Tutor

Man I can't help it but continue to get more frustrated as I read more and more on these forums. I've been on hold with Netgear support for over 3 hours now. I continue to have wifi issues and of course the complimentary support is over. 

I refuse to pay them for support for a product that works just long enough for the complimentary stuff to wear out and then just doesn't work after that. Unfortunately against my better judgement I didn't purchase the extended warranty from Best Buy and am now in a situation where I cannot return these or I would. 

I've tried all the things on this forum to no avail. I really wish Netgear would help us all out here. 

The last thing to do on my list is to reset and clear using nvram tactics but I don't know how to do that just yet. Anyone have any success on how to fix the slow speeds (both wired and on wifi)? I'm running this machine hard wired but it suffers also! RBR50 and RBS50 units in my home. 

Message 138 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

Go back to an old firmware and then (weekly) reflash back after they auto update.

Message 139 of 809
gr0uch
Tutor

The bigger problem is that I've gone back to the older firmware and still no success. The worst thing is that my system didn't even update when the problems started, I was running on the same firmware this whole time!

Message 140 of 809
DNichter
Star

I went back to the previous firmware and it fixed my issues. I am hoping since it’s not an official release, it doesn’t auto update. This whole product has been pretty terrible though. After using Apple routers for 10 years and never having problems, I decided to get this. Now it’s been nothing but problems. Let’s see how long it works on the current firmware.
Message 141 of 809
gr0uch
Tutor

I'm running firmware version V2.1.4.10 which is what my system came with... worked fine for 3 months and now we're having issues. 

Side note: Not sure on the model numbers as the bottom of my system says RBR50 but came with the one satellite... hmm. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 142 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

It works for me.  I have had my Orbis since mid March, I started with, I think, V2,1,2.18, then to a beta version of of V2.1.4.10 before taking the plunge with V2.1.4.16.  I had issues with HomeKit and Lifx, gradually diminishing with each iteration, and now ‘16 is rock solid.  

I have never had a problem with a wired backhaul, all Wi-Fi devices attach to the nearest Orbi, and if a device can handle 5Ghz, it connects to the 5Ghz network.  Only devices not able to use 5Ghz connect at 2.4Ghz.  

A cable from the Orbi router runs to a small patch panel, and at the satellite end there’s a small 5 port switch through which the satellite is connected.

My Orbis are in Access Point mode, and on the Advanced Wireless Settings page everything but backhaul topology is checked, so no Daisy Chain.  

I do reserve IP addresses on my modem’s DHCP table, so most devices have a permanent IP address.

Finally, I use chanel 1 for 2.4Ghz (requested by Lifx), and chanel 44 for 5Ghz, both of which can be changed under Advanced Wireless Settings 

if if you are having difficulties with your Orbis, try using some or all of the settings I have found work for me. 

Good luck

Message 143 of 809
stuartmunro
Tutor

Thanks for the details of your set up.  I need to use the Orbi as a router rather than an access point.  I think the issue is my switch which is a managed one.  Others have said that this causes an issue.

I did test the speed of the internet connection and I was getting the full 200Mbps that my ISP supplies.  I'm surprised it is this quick on a 5Ghz wireless backhaul as the satellite is on the third floor of the house and the router on the second floor.  I wonder if I am getting ethernet backhaul but the mangement console is not showing it as a wired connection.

Message 144 of 809
tomalam
Initiate

Whatever update came out in the past week, I’m now getting disconnects. Tried to manually update to this new .16 fix and same issue. At least let us revert back to previous firmware or turn off auto update.

I’m going to buy a different router cause this is unacceptable.
Message 145 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

The reason you don't have issues is that you are running in access point mode. Not all the other random stuff they had you do. Router mode seems to be the problem. I bridged my FiOS router so I could run the Orbi in router mode assuming all the modern functions would be good to have.... That you don't get in AP mode.
Message 146 of 809
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Now I see that v2.1.4.16 doesn't seem to be available from the download site as it used to be...does that mean it's been pulled back because of problems? Or is that just a bug? My Orbi never auto-flashed it in any case, but now it's gone?

Thanks.

Message 147 of 809
st_shaw
Master

@RogerSC wrote:

Now I see that v2.1.4.16 doesn't seem to be available from the download site as it used to be...does that mean it's been pulled back because of problems? Or is that just a bug? My Orbi never auto-flashed it in any case, but now it's gone?

Thanks.

The links at post #1 in this thread are still working. That post also says to manually update your Orbi. I don't know that the files were ever posted anywhere else.  The RBS50Y file was not on the download site last time I looked.

Message 148 of 809
olf
Star
Star

I think its all a numbers game, it seems the issues here are filed by above average knowledge of routers and protocols, we could be in the bottom 5% of users, which i think is acceptable for netgear and choose to ignore, the other 95% of orbi users are average joe (or jane) and might be inclined to blame their phones or ISP for internet or connecitivity outage, how many joe's or jane you think can troubleshoot their own network issues?

So if its (orbi) is selling and getting the fastest speed during reviews, joe and jane will buy them and call it a day, 

Its been six months and every update  seems to introduce new issues and repeat issues, I'm just waiting for Asus to perfect their AImesh and will return my orbi 53 to costco, thank god for satisfaction guaranteed.

Message 149 of 809
photonix
Initiate

I am using a RBK50 in AP mode, I also have frequent issues whatever firmware I have been using including 2.1.4.16.

For example, when streaming video via Plex on a server connected to a switch (connected to the RBR50), my Plex client is an ipad connected to the satellite : the video will stream and then stalled as if the satellite loses the router. To reget access to the stream I usually have to disconnect from the wifi or connect to a SSID that is not on the netgear (and that always work)...

The fun part is that one day I was also listening to music on my Amazon Echo and both stalled at the same time pointing clearly to an issue with the ORBI...

I don't understand why such a basic failure is not prioritized. I think this will fix 80% of the problems reported in this thread...Do we have to contact The Verge, Anandtech, Engadget and other websites to share our real world use of Netgear ORBI and its failures for a team to be engaged on this specific issue?

Message 150 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7