Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

AKLGUY
Apprentice

AMAZING Guys.

OK so I had a bit of time when I there was no one needing stable internet at home. (No one working from home, Communicating with loved ones overseas etc) So I thought I will give the Ethernet Backhaul another try.

I did try twice before, Once before manually upgrading to 2.1.4.16 and then again after. But both times I plugged the Satelitte into A Network Switch that was then connected to the Orbi Router.

Both times loss internet almost instintly, I didn't leave it the 5 minutes only found that out after the second attempt That is what I was going to try this time around, if it goes down wait 5 minutes to see if traffic comes back.

This time when I tried it. I used the LAN cable that was connecting my Switch (where the Satelitte was located) in my office directly into the Satelitte then the switch into the Second port of the Satelitte. And no loss of network at all. Just an intermim blip in my office for my LAN devices when I juggled the LAN cables. And testing since I have had no loss of internet at all.

Since the Ethernet Backhaul went in I have notice no difference at all with my WIFI devices connecting to the Satelitte when it has Ethernet Backhaul or WIFI backhaul.

Before going for the Orbi RBK50 system I did have a Nighthawk R8000 where the 5GHZ  was a bit patchy some times in where my office was, That was the only reason why I wanted the Ethernet backhaul But it does seem that the WIFI link between the 2 ORBI units, works brilliantly. I will report back say after a week, or if I start having issues

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 176 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I had a breakthrough with my ethernet backhaul.  

Until yesterday (13/6/2018) i was using the 5Ghz wifi backhaul.  Earlier in the day I did a factory reset, reinstalled V2.1.4.16 and then tried connecting the dreaded cable.  My backhaul cable, at the satellite end, goes through a TP-Link 5 port switch, but at the router end, I connected it directly to one of the Orbi router RJ45 ports.  Within seconds all turned to sh*t with lots of magenta ovals.  

Where to from here?  In desperation I swapped the cable from one of the Orbi router's RJ45 LAN ports to the one next to it, and within seconds - yes folks, seconds, i kid you not - my router Attached Devices list showed under Connected Satellites, Connection Type: Wired.  And it remained stable.  

What magic was performed?  I can't explain, but I'm sure you will recall instructions for the use of USB ports that if it doesn't work in one, try another.  

Message 177 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the model# of this TP-LInk switch you were using? Managed or Non managed switch>?

Bad cable?

Message 178 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the model# of this TP-LInk switch you were using? Managed or Non managed switch>?

Bad cable?

@cheshbr wrote:

I had a breakthrough with my ethernet backhaul.  

Until yesterday (13/6/2018) i was using the 5Ghz wifi backhaul.  Earlier in the day I did a factory reset, reinstalled V2.1.4.16 and then tried connecting the dreaded cable.  My backhaul cable, at the satellite end, goes through a TP-Link 5 port switch, but at the router end, I connected it directly to one of the Orbi router RJ45 ports.  Within seconds all turned to sh*t with lots of magenta ovals.  

Where to from here?  In desperation I swapped the cable from one of the Orbi router's RJ45 LAN ports to the one next to it, and within seconds - yes folks, seconds, i kid you not - my router Attached Devices list showed under Connected Satellites, Connection Type: Wired.  And it remained stable.  

What magic was performed?  I can't explain, but I'm sure you will recall instructions for the use of USB ports that if it doesn't work in one, try another.  

Message 179 of 809
manofice
Virtuoso

You're not alone. I was using my iphone last night and I noticed i lost internet, it was connected to WiFi but said it had no internet connection, I noticed my son was streaming netflix on the apple TV still though. I had to turn WiFi off on my iPhone 6S Plus and turn it back on, and all was fine.

Message 180 of 809
steve8411
Apprentice

@manofice wrote:

You're not alone. I was using my iphone last night and I noticed i lost internet, it was connected to WiFi but said it had no internet connection, I noticed my son was streaming netflix on the apple TV still though. I had to turn WiFi off on my iPhone 6S Plus and turn it back on, and all was fine.

Exact same issue.

They know over there at NG. They are 100% aware of the problem per my support tickets. 

Dont waste your time factory resetting anything. Its an exercise in futility.

It's a matter of waiting for them to solve the issue.

Message 181 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

The TP-Link switch is a $30 basic 5 port switch.  You only need managed switches on enterprise networks with complexity requiring administrative oversight.  Overkill on a domestic network.  Cables are all cat 6, and current.  

I now have the Orbis working as they should, in AP mode on V2.1.4.16, with wired backhaul.

I have a single cable from my modem to the yellow RJ45 on the Orbi router, a cable from a LAN port on the router to a 16 port switch, and a cable from another router LAN port directly to a patch panel, bypassing the switch, which services the satellite via the 5 port switch.  There are around ten devices on the 16 port switch, such as a printer, a NAS, an iMac, MacBook, PC, links to ports in other parts of the house for smart TVs and games machines.  Right now, everything works.

Message 182 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Well in theory yes, managed switches were meant for enterprise environments, however they have been trickling down into the home envirionment, no sure why or how. Possible that some users don't know or understand what there getting.

So reason for asking. Mangaged switches seem to give problems with the Orbi systems.

Sounds like it may have been a bad cable or something.

Glad you got it working. I get to start a RK53 install saturday.

@cheshbr wrote:

The TP-Link switch is a $30 basic 5 port switch.  You only need managed switches on enterprise networks with complexity requiring administrative oversight.  Overkill on a domestic network.  Cables are all cat 6, and current.  

I now have the Orbis working as they should, in AP mode on V2.1.4.16, with wired backhaul.

I have a single cable from my modem to the yellow RJ45 on the Orbi router, a cable from a LAN port on the router to a 16 port switch, and a cable from another router LAN port directly to a patch panel, bypassing the switch, which services the satellite via the 5 port switch.  There are around ten devices on the 16 port switch, such as a printer, a NAS, an iMac, MacBook, PC, links to ports in other parts of the house for smart TVs and games machines.  Right now, everything works.

Message 183 of 809
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

For those having the random reboots and disconnects from the Sattelites, I'd like to share my experience that I think may help.  I have the RBK53 from costco (1 RBR50 and 2 RBS50s).  I was having the issue that many have been complaining about regarding constant disconnects and random reboots.  After looking at my 30+ devices, I realized that some of them were attempting to connect to the same IP address as the sattelites, causing all this mess.  Everytime there was a reboot, the sattelites would come back with a different IP.  I went in and set both sattelites to static IPs of 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3, and then set the DHCP range from 192.168.1.4-50 and have not had a problem since.  I will try the newest firmware, but I doubt that I will have any issue moving forward as the previous 4 firmware updates have been stable.  Give it a try, and I hope it helps some of you out.

Message 184 of 809
Retired_Member
Not applicable

still no v2.1.4.16 on auto update

Message 185 of 809
Hsc1102
Apprentice

Everyone finding this acceptable is missing the point. I understand that in this tech world we live in firmware upgrades are common but It is unacceptable that a consumer product requires additional steps like static ips, factory resets, or anything more than your average firmware upgrade. We paid good $$$$ for this price of junk of which some of us are stuck with.
Message 186 of 809
Hsc1102
Apprentice

Wooohooo what a surprise I have the orbi with two satellites and the latest observed behavior is when there is internet activity on both stalllites one satellite disconnects. Can’t wait for the next firmware upgrade which will take another hour of my life between the manual firmware upgrade for router and 2 satellites and the prerequisite factory reset.

Meanwhile I’ll be on my work conference call tomorrow and the internet will crap out on me.

Wow the Orbi is great.... when it works which is 50% of the time that I have owned it.
Message 187 of 809
WowWashington
Aspirant

Same, I have router plus three satelites - if I try to go ethernet backhaul to compensate for the satelites going good/bad often - everything goes offline. Had to disconnect the orbi satelites from the gigabit network and unplug the router to get networking back. 

Had these mesh systems for a few months now, have not been able to get rid of my random wifi AP's because I can't depend on this expensive secondary system that doesn't work all the time. 

Message 188 of 809
AKLGUY
Apprentice

How does the Satelittes talk to the router? direct LAN cable or going via a switch?

I found if I plugged the Satelitte into a Switch in my Office the connection drops. But if I plug the cable directly into the back of the Satelitte directly back to the Router Unit and then the switch into the next port of the Orbi it has been stable as.

I have also plugged in to the ethernet port on the far left (if looking at the back of the unit).

Been stable for over 24 hours now. Will thrash over the weekend and see how it goes

Message 189 of 809
tdroz73
Tutor

Been running this firmware since Sunday evening.  Been rock solid throughout the week.  Using wireless backhaul - and happy to report that not only is the router not crashing & rebooting 4x a day like it was previously but everything is remarkably faster.  The fastest I used to be able to get off the satelite was around 250mbps on the previous 2.1.4.10 firmware - now its in excess of 400mbps on a Macbook Pro - 350mpbs on Apple TV & other iOS Devices.  My homekit devices also respond more reliably as well.

If Netgear takes this firmware and launches it untouched - and allows us to lock this guy in - I'll be a happy customer.  2.1.4.10 was horrible - hopefully they have more quality controls in place to prevent that disaster from happening again.  Love this product - but one forced firmware update of hell can tarnish it quickly.

Message 190 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

When will the day come when Netgear will have their own devices talk to each other? ORBI main unit and satellite done connect via backhaul using Netgear Nighthawk switch R8000 in between .

Message 191 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I have a Billion 7800VDOX VoIP modem/router, with WiFi disabled.  A single cable from the Billion goes to the Orbi router's yellow WAN port.  

At the router end, an ethernet cable goes directly from an Orbi LAN port to a patch-panel, and at the satellite end, a single cable emerges from the wall socket to a 5 port switch, which distributes ethernet to a smart TV, an Apple TV, a FetchTV STB and the Orbi satellite.  You are right.  I could cable directly from the wall socket and use the Orbi Sat as a switch.  But I don't have to do that now.  

My signal strength is incredibly strong.  I have attached a graph showing a snapshot of my signal strength taken from the router end of the network in my study.  The pink line shows the 5Ghz network in my study, at 97%, and the green line shows the signal strength of the 5Ghz network at the satellite about 15 meters away in my Family Room.  From the study, the 15 meter-away satellite shows about 60%, but if I take my laptop to the Family Room, the green and pink lines swap position with similar percentages. The orange and yellow lines show 2.4Ghz network.  

Having worked hard to get this outcome, I'm employing the attitude that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Message 192 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I mentioned in earlier posts that my Orbi system under V2.1.4.16 works with wired backhaul and is very stable.

I was asked if I would work with L2 support, which I did.  During my discussion with L2, I raised two issues

1. I suddenly fluked achieving wired backhaul after an hour or two of alternating magenta ovals, by swapping the backhaul ethernet cable plugged directly into a LAN port on the Orbi router from port 2 to port 3.  Almost instant connection, no magenta ovals.  On one hand, this is a monumental achievement, but on the other hand, does it mean the Orbi router port 2 was fauly?  I couldn't let that one pass, so I raised it with the L2 support guy.
  2. I also discussed an issue, probably unique to me, about my Orbi router not producing a signal strength anywhere near the equal of the satellite, which he said should be very similar, subject to the local environment.  He suggested I seek a replacemet fgrom my Orbi vendor under warranty, which I did yesterday afternoon (14/6/2018)

Prior to swapping my Orbis for new ones, I backud up my settings.  Then I set up the new Orbis fairly quickly.   I enabled AP mode as soon as I could, upgraded FW to V2.1.4.16, restored my backed up settings, and was operational within an hour.  Then I connected my backhaul cable to the Orbi router, and after power-cycling each Orbi, the router attached devices showed the satellite as "wired".  It's now 24 hours since I did that and everything is stable, signal strength is strong, 5Ghz devices capable of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connect as 5Ghz, and all connected devices have aligned to the nearest Orbi.  

For general info, my Billion 7800VDOX modem/router connects to the internet, and handles all DHCP, NAT, firewall and security duties.  The Orbis are in AP mode.  In the Billion, I have set up reserved IP addresses in the DHCP table for all devices that permanently connect to WiFi, so the Orbi router's attached devices list clearly identifies each object by name.  I think this improves efficiency of operation and stability.

Message 193 of 809
Mrgoodall
Star

That’s why this thread specifically states, Manual update.
Message 194 of 809
bwc_
Guide

Feedback/status report for @BretD

Having run 2.1.4.16 for a while now—a week maybe?—it has improved HomeKit. I cannot think of finding a device unresponsive since applying it. I have iDevice wall "switches", Lutron light switches, and a Hue lightstrip run from an AppleTV as the hub.

So far as iOS devices dropping off the WiFi, despite having a very strong signal, that's still happening, although, I'd say it's happening much less than before (but still more than a few months ago when this whole mess started.)

Message 195 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Is any of the following enabled on the router? Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain or Fast Roaming?

@bwc_ wrote:

Feedback/status report for @BretD

Having run 2.1.4.16 for a while now—a week maybe?—it has improved HomeKit. I cannot think of finding a device unresponsive since applying it. I have iDevice wall "switches", Lutron light switches, and a Hue lightstrip run from an AppleTV as the hub.

So far as iOS devices dropping off the WiFi, despite having a very strong signal, that's still happening, although, I'd say it's happening much less than before (but still more than a few months ago when this whole mess started.)

Message 196 of 809
Zdman
Guide

I thought at first this fw had solved my wired backhaul problem but it was short lived. The wired satellite start going back and fourth between wireless bands, both with a “poor” signal level.  I am in router mode so I may switch to AP to see if that makes a difference. About to the point of giving up if that does not work. 

Message 197 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

You say you are in router mode and plan to switch to AP mode.  To do that you need a separate third-party router between the internet entry point to your house and the Orbi in AP mode.  Or are you running two routers?

Message 198 of 809
manuel-c23
Star

Rif.: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

@manuel-c23 wrote:

RBK40, v2.1.4.16

1) Ethernet backhaul issues after reboot are not really fixed and I'd say they are even worse than in v. 2.1.4.10. Internet connection doesn't work and I get the yellow triangle on Windows.

2) On Windows, I get 3 on 4 wi-fi bars instead of 4 on 4 bars at about 40 cm (15 inches) from the satellite. How is that possible? The signal strength should be at maximum level when I'm so close to the satellite.

3) Internet connection is sluggish, I can't watch a video on YouTube without continuous freezes.

@manuel-c23 wrote:

I just did a speed test, I have a 40 mbit/s Internet connection, but I get under 1 mbit/s from the Orbi satellite, and I'm at 40 cm (15 inches) from it (Ethernet backhaul).

I believe I found the cause of issues 2 and 3... and the cause is related to issue 1.

I was at about 40 cm (15 inches) from the satellite, but I was probably connected to the router instead of the satellite, so the signal was weak.

However, I couldn't get the ethernet backhaul connection to reliably work in v2.1.4.16, so I reverted back to v2.1.4.10 (which is also not reliable, but it's better than v2.1.4.16).

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 199 of 809
Zdman
Guide

Chesbr, 

i am only running one router (the orbi). I do have an old Netgear 3400v1 that I would use as the main router should I decide to use the Orbis in AP Mode. It would give me better qos, just not sure if switching orbi to AP mode would help.  It really seems that Netgear would be able to provide a setting in the satellite to “force” it to a wired backhaul and avoid all confusion.  

Message 200 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7