Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

swellvue
Tutor

Where did you find firmware for the RBS50Y that is not v2.1.3.4?   My RBR50+RBS50 units auto-updated to 2.1.4.16 today (where on 2.1.4.10) but the RBS50Y's have been stuck on 2.1.3.4 for awhile now.

Message 201 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I am running my Orbi RBK 50 system in AP mode and have done so since acquiring my Orbis in March 2018, and as a consequence of this I have no experience with Orbis in router mode.  I have also upgraded to FW V2.1.4.16.

I do have a wired backhaul working.  My backhaul ethernet cable is connected to one of my Orbi router's LAN ports and goes directly to my Orbi satellite via a small patch panel.  

Initially the satellite was on the 5Ghz WiFi backhaul.  Then after upgrading to v2.1.4.16, I confirmed that the system was operating as it should.  I checked the attached devices list on both Orbis using the web interface, and waited a day or so to ensure the system was stable, then I plugged in the cable.  There were a number blue and magenta ovals for a while, so I swapped the cable on the Orbi router from port 2, to port 3 and within seconds wired backhaul was operating and continues to remain stable.  

I can't explain this, so I speculate that it might be like instructions on a device you connect to USB that says if it doesn't work try another USB port.  Go figure. 

Anyway it works.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 202 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

FW v2.1.4.16 for the RBS50Y is on the first post on page 1 of this topic.  Follwing is a link

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/td-p/1584969/highl...

Message 203 of 809
swellvue
Tutor

Thanks, didn't see the first page.... so was able to download the firmware for the RBS50Y, however... I can't seem to get it to update... when I click the update button it opens another window, but that errors out unable to connect.  So my RBR50 and RBS50's are all on 2.1.4.16 but the 2 RBS50Y's are stuck on 2.1.3.4    Anyone have any clue how to actually get them updated... the manual update process doesn't seem to let me connect to them to update.

Message 204 of 809
st_shaw
Master

@swellvue wrote:

Thanks, didn't see the first page.... so was able to download the firmware for the RBS50Y, however... I can't seem to get it to update... when I click the update button it opens another window, but that errors out unable to connect.  So my RBR50 and RBS50's are all on 2.1.4.16 but the 2 RBS50Y's are stuck on 2.1.3.4    Anyone have any clue how to actually get them updated... the manual update process doesn't seem to let me connect to them to update.

Look up the IP address of the RBS50Y in your attached devices list. Log directly into the RBS50Y at that IP address.  Do the manual update from there. Use a laptop or PC with a web browser.

Message 205 of 809
WAP
Apprentice
Apprentice

FYI:

Had ethernet backhaul working for a week (in AP mode).  Router had to be rebooted and now can no longer establish ethernet backhaul.  It was working after the new firmware and a complete reset.  All features turned off.  Giving up till next firmware release.  Rebooting now and will go back to poor backhaul signal on wireless backhaul.  Would be nice if netgear told us what they are doing to address the ethernet backhaul issue.

Netgear if you contact me I can give you logs to help diagnose (been on the forum everyday for months so I have already tried all of the "solutions" suggested by participants).

Message 206 of 809
chirag884
Aspirant

Please check download link for RBR20. It is downloading the file as RBS20. 

Message 207 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Will be same version name, however should be two separate files, one will have RBR## and the other will be RBS##...

@ktula wrote:

Do RBR50 and RBS50 use the same firmware? Both download links for RBR50 and RBS50 get the same RBS50-V2.1.4.16.img file on my MacBook.

Message 208 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, you should download one file at time to be sure.

@ktula wrote:

Oh i see the issue now. The firmware download site does not really allow you to concurrently download multiple firmware updates at the same time. If you do that, it will get only one version of the firmware update.

Message 209 of 809
chirag884
Aspirant

That is so lame. Okay - so need to download only one file at a time.

Message 210 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Might check your browser too.

Good Luck.

@chirag884 wrote:

That is so lame. Okay - so need to download only one file at a time.

Message 211 of 809
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@swellvue wrote:

Two things:

1. You can connect to your Orbi via a client that's connected directly to the Orbi (wired or wireless connection) using "orbilogin.com" in place of the IP address of the router unit. I find that a lot easier. If you want to connect directly to the satellite, which you can do, then you'll need the IP address of it.

2. To another point, I highly recommend using the Orbi in AP mode, assuming that you have an extra router with current firmware that you can use for the routing functions (dhcp, nat, etc.). I'm using a Netgear R7800 with the wireless radios turned off, and that works well for me.

Message 212 of 809
e1superman
Apprentice

So you are saying we need to have another router because that functionality is completely broken on Orbi. That is of course rediculuous. Even if it works. Extra $$ on top of owning an Orbi wifi ROUTER. I use the advanced routing and DDOS/protection features in the Orbi.
Message 213 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

IT's just a suggestion to use the Orbi in AP mode if one has an additional router to use it with. The orbi router works other wise as a router. It supports two modes, router and AP mode. Some users may prefer to use a different router so it's why NG impletments AP mode feature for this kind of configuration.

@e1superman wrote:
So you are saying we need to have another router because that functionality is completely broken on Orbi. That is of course rediculuous. Even if it works. Extra $$ on top of owning an Orbi wifi ROUTER. I use the advanced routing and DDOS/protection features in the Orbi.

Message 214 of 809
richromerman
Guide

wow. so definitely do not upgrade to this firmware 2.1.4.16 if you want to be able to use the internet. Unbelievable. 

and i thought 2.1.4.10 was bad.....

Message 215 of 809
tagteam
Virtuoso

@richromerman wrote:

wow. so definitely do not upgrade to this firmware 2.1.4.16 if you want to be able to use the internet. Unbelievable. 

and i thought 2.1.4.10 was bad.....

I got 2.1.4.16 via autoupdate and it's worked well thus far (but then I had no issues with 2.1.4.10, nor any of the earlier releases).

Message 216 of 809
loomis1975
Luminary

I am able to access the internet on .16.  Manually updated everything when they dropped the file for RBS50Y a while back.

Wireless backhaul with daisy chain in use, all the bells and whistles on, using ipv6 as well.  No major issues and rarely any minor ones.

RBR50 and RBS50 are from launch (September 2016) RBS40 is from its launch and RBS50Y is from its launch.

I've tried the wall plug satellite RBW30 prelaunch, but it caused issues with the network so I kicked it to the curb.

I still wonder why there is such a giant disparity in user experiences with these units and the firmware.

Message 217 of 809
qskillzwfu25
Tutor

No issues on my end either...I run in AP bc I'm on ATT fiber. I did as one member suggested and gave my Orbi router and Orbi satellite static IP addresses...along with a few other devices and everything has been Rock solid.
Message 218 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

I’m viewing this debate about the pros and cons of v2.1.4.16 in disbelief.  How is it that I and others report that they have v2.1.4.16 working just fine, and there are probably hundreds of satisfied Orbi users who don’t need to engage in forum activity.  This means those of you having difficulty are in the minority, so if you are in this category you have to try harder to get it working, and not throw in the towel.

Here’s a thought.  If I can get my v2.1.4.16 Orbi RBK50 working with wired backhaul in AP mode, so can you unless your units are faulty (I have never tried Orbi in router mode) or your environment is not conducive to a mesh network.  

So on the assumption that the Orbis work, the reason that you can’t get yours to work may rest with other factors in your environment.  

I have always used reserved IP addresses in my internet gateway modem/router’s DHCP table.  If you do this with all your household devices you want on WiFi, you will have a table that lists them and their fixed IP address. This will be passed on to the Orbi router in AP mode.

I have no evidence that doing this guarantees success, but I do it and it works so I wonder if contributes to the simplicity of AP mode.  

It is stated in Orbi documentation that location is important.  In that regard, here’s a tip for how to set up AP mode.  Before anything else, disable WiFi on the internet gateway modem/router. Now back to the Orbis.  On fist install, or after a reset, locate your router and your satellite side by side with no cable at this point on the satellite. Run through the initial setup wizard. Once the basic setup works, install previously downloaded FW v2.1.4.16 manually, satellite first.  Then put it in AP mode and configure it. AP mode doesn’t give you lots of features so this can be quick.  

This should give you a working Orbi environment. If so, then move the satellite to the desired location.

Lots of walls and obstacles will diminish a WiFi signal and metal objects may cancel It.  

If the initial setup worked when the Orbis were together, then the location might be the reason if it no longer works satisfactorily.  

If if after this you are still having difficulties, it may be the internet gateway modem/router that’s the problem

Message 219 of 809
Kev77
Tutor

I have an AT&T Gateway with the orbi running in AP mode. I have an R6400 that was replaced by the Orbi. Since the Orbi is unable to operate in Router mode (still dont understand how that happens), is it overkill to connect the R6400 to the AT&T Gtaeway with all of the wireless radios cut off on the gateway and then connect Orbi to the R6400? (I'm assuming that's the proper way to set that up)?

Message 220 of 809
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@Kev77 wrote:

I have an AT&T Gateway with the orbi running in AP mode. I have an R6400 that was replaced by the Orbi. Since the Orbi is unable to operate in Router mode (still dont understand how that happens), is it overkill to connect the R6400 to the AT&T Gtaeway with all of the wireless radios cut off on the gateway and then connect Orbi to the R6400? (I'm assuming that's the proper way to set that up)?

You'll have to be able put the AT&T gateway into "bridge" mode...so that it acts just as a cable/fiber modem. Assuming that you can do that, I'm not sure what firmware's available for the R6400...if you can get decent firmware for the R6400, then I'd give it a shot. But the for the R6400, the firmware needs to be live (currently supported) or you're setting yourself up for problems. On the other hand, if you're happy the way that it is now, that the AT&T gateway has a decent, currently supported router portion that gives you the routing functions that you need, then I'd stay with that.

I see that there is dd-wrt firmware for the R6400, so if you're up for that, you might give it a shot *smile*.

Message 221 of 809
Kev77
Tutor

@RogerSC wrote:

@Kev77 wrote:

You'll have to be able put the AT&T gateway into "bridge" mode...so that it acts just as a cable/fiber modem. Assuming that you can do that, I'm not sure what firmware's available for the R6400...if you can get decent firmware for the R6400, then I'd give it a shot. But the for the R6400, the firmware needs to be live (currently supported) or you're setting yourself up for problems. On the other hand, if you're happy the way that it is now, that the AT&T gateway has a decent, currently supported router portion that gives you the routing functions that you need, then I'd stay wtih that.

i have ro use DMZ to connect the gateway to the r6400. Main problem with the Orbi of course, constantly dropping the signal in router mode. This would at least give me customization and parental controls, which I can't do with the Gateway  

Message 222 of 809
cheshbr
Apprentice

My comments must be preceded by the disclosure that I am in Australia and don’t know what a AT&T Gateway is, nor have I had any experience with the Netgear R6400.  Just Netgear Orbi.

So if you have connected the Orbis to the gateway in AP mode, and provided you have access to the internet, then the gateway is handling the routing, NAT, DHCP, firewall and security, isn’t it?  If so then you don’t need to use the R6400.  Does everything work in this setup?  You don’t say.

Perhaps the reason you can’t get the Orbis to work in router mode is because it’s reacting to the AT&T Gateway also in router mode?  If that’s the case then one of the two devices has to be in bridge mode to give the other the duties of the necessary router functions

Message 223 of 809
tdroz73
Tutor

@bwc_ wrote:

Feedback/status report for @BretD

Having run 2.1.4.16 for a while now—a week maybe?—it has improved HomeKit. I cannot think of finding a device unresponsive since applying it. I have iDevice wall "switches", Lutron light switches, and a Hue lightstrip run from an AppleTV as the hub.

So far as iOS devices dropping off the WiFi, despite having a very strong signal, that's still happening, although, I'd say it's happening much less than before (but still more than a few months ago when this whole mess started.)

So odd - I have a number of Apple TVs, and 3 iPhone and 4 iPads on my network running os 11.4 and os12 beta and none of them have any issues with dropping the signal from the Orbi on this firmware.  Are you updated on all your devices to latest iOS?  Are you hitting interferance from a neighbor?  I had to use WifiExplorer on my Macbook Pro in order to find clear channels on 2.4 and 5ghz - even in a single family home due to how over powered all Wifi APs are these days...

Message 224 of 809
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

@tdroz73 wrote:

@bwc_ wrote:

Feedback/status report for @BretD

Having run 2.1.4.16 for a while now—a week maybe?—it has improved HomeKit. I cannot think of finding a device unresponsive since applying it. I have iDevice wall "switches", Lutron light switches, and a Hue lightstrip run from an AppleTV as the hub.

So far as iOS devices dropping off the WiFi, despite having a very strong signal, that's still happening, although, I'd say it's happening much less than before (but still more than a few months ago when this whole mess started.)

So odd - I have a number of Apple TVs, and 3 iPhone and 4 iPads on my network running os 11.4 and os12 beta and none of them have any issues with dropping the signal from the Orbi on this firmware.  Are you updated on all your devices to latest iOS?  Are you hitting interferance from a neighbor?  I had to use WifiExplorer on my Macbook Pro in order to find clear channels on 2.4 and 5ghz - even in a single family home due to how over powered all Wifi APs are these days...

Also been running the 2.1.4.16 firmware on my system. No issues with HomeKit or any Apple device having connectivity issues. Are all your units running the same version? If one of your satellites can't run this same version I would turn it off and see if the problem goes away. Homekit definitely did not work very well with 2.1.4.10. If the issue goes away you'll probably have to wait for this version for your particular hardware model.

If all of your units are running 2.1.4.16 then I would power cycle the router and satellites and see if that doesn't correct the issue. If it persists I would perform a factory reset with 2.1.4.16 installed on all units. 

I'm running Wemo switches with the Homekit gateway, iDevices, and Ikea's connected lighting solution with several AppleTVs, Homepods,iPhones, iPads without any issue.

Message 225 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7