Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware update v2.1.4.16 availability

jesseasi
Star

Replacing my Orbi with Unifi... doing it right now.   

Message 276 of 809
Supertramp11
Luminary

Using v2.1.4.16 since the day it has been available here with zero issues.

Message 277 of 809
Keezyavaleri
Aspirant

I had the same issue and i couldnt figure it out. My set up was the orbi router to a 8 port switch to the satilite. I then connected the router directly to satilite and instantly fixed my issues. Do you have anything in between the 2 devices?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 278 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

There are issues with managed swtiches, Non manged switches work well with Orbi systes. Managed not so much. One user posted that he found that disabling IGMP Protocols on his manages switch helped get Orbi working with his managed switch. You can try this if you have a managed switch. I have two non manged switches in between my Orbi and satellite. Zero issues.

Also your PfSence maybe a factor as well. Your putting a Firewall in front of another firewall build in to the Orbi. Try conneting the Orbi router directly to the ISP modem and see. If your using a Firewall appliance or another DCHP router in between the Orbi and modem, then either put the Orbi router in a DMZ or configure the Orbi router for AP mode. No need for double NAT on a network.

Seems like this is a over complicated configuration which maybe causing your problems. Simplify first to see what happens.

I just get on my friends RBK50 yesterday. Working so far with just being connneted to his modem.

@Site wrote:

It's the Orbi.  I have worked on internet tech for 20+ years.  

But for the sake of answering; I am using a motorola mb8600 modem attached to gigabit comcast ethernet.  modem is in bridge mode.  The modem is routed through a pfsense box that is attached into a gigabit switch; the orbi is attached into the same gigabit switch.   A windows domain controller provides dhcp for the house; and the orbi is set to a reserved address; all routing information is correctly specified.  The internet has never failed when the orbi loses connection - I often would VPN into the house just to remotely reboot the router (now my family has the app to do it).  I have an old basic wifi router also in AP mode that only reaches one room and is slow; but has never failed every time the orbi has failed.  The wifi radios on the orbi including through the satellites are working fine even when it can't connect to the internet. - I can always connect to the orbi via a wifi connected device (regardless of whether the device are connected to the main hub or any satellite) or from within the house via a wired connection.  About once every day or so; all wireless devices through the orbi lose access to the internet. The app always states the internet is offline; the orbi web interface always claims its online (whether the internet works or not).  Rebooting it always corrects the issue.  I am running the latest firmware but have never had a stable system (previous firmware went about a week before starting to frequently fail).  We are streaming more as we go into the summer so its possible the orbi can't handle traffic load.

At this point; I just need a reliable system and am curious what people have replaced their orbi with.   

Message 279 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure your switch is a non managed switches. Managed switches seem to give problems with Orbi systems. Also make sure your LAN cabling is good in between the router, switch and satellite. CAT6 recommended.

@Keezyavaleri wrote:

I had the same issue and i couldnt figure it out. My set up was the orbi router to a 8 port switch to the satilite. I then connected the router directly to satilite and instantly fixed my issues. Do you have anything in between the 2 devices?

Message 280 of 809
ajshurts
Apprentice

I wanted to provide some performance testing results for the latest firmware.  I honestly don't know if these are good because I don't know what expectations I should have over Wi-Fi.

Setup:

The server is a Windows 10 PC running xjperf 2.0.2 wired into a RBS50 Satellite running 2.1.4.16 firmware.

iPerf_1GB_Server.PNG

The client is a Windows 10 laptop running the same version of xjperf, but is wireless to the same satellite.

iPerf_1GB_Client.PNGI first performed an internet speed test from the wired PC:

speedtest.PNG

The results are consistent with what I am paying for from internet provider (200Mbps/5Mbps).

I then setup xjperf to transfer a 1GB file from the client to the server and ran the test three times. Please note that both devices are running NMVe M.2 storage devices so storage read/write times are not a limiting factor in this test.  This was the result from LAN speed test:

iPerf_1GB.PNGIn 3 tests, the file took between 22-25 seconds to transfer and you can see the thruput on the graph above.  Again, I don't know if this what I should expect from two devices connected to the same satellite, one wired, one wireless.  I just wanted to provide some feedback.

Overall, the connection has been fairly stable.  I had to reboot the router once  when devices would refuse to connect to certain websites.  I verified that DNS was working properly by running nslookup from the affected devices, but then they would timeout attempting to load data.  Rebooting the router fixed the issue and the connection has been good for a day again.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 281 of 809
Site
Tutor

Orbi is in AP mode and not acting as a DHCP server or anything -  and should not be acting as a firewall or NAT (at least I would hope - if it is always an active firewall even in AP mode than I definitely need to return it).  The only firewall active firewall and NAT should be direclty through pfsense.    

I do have a managed switch.  I will move the Orbi from being wired into the switch to be wired in between the router and the switch.  

Message 282 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Will have to wait for your pics to get approved.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your using?

For DNS, have you tried using 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 for DNS on the Router?

@ajshurts wrote:

I wanted to provide some performance testing results for the latest firmware.  I honestly don't know if these are good because I don't know what expectations I should have over Wi-Fi.

Setup:

The server is a Windows 10 PC running xjperf 2.0.2 wired into a RBS50 Satellite running 2.1.4.16 firmware.

iPerf_1GB_Server.PNG

The client is a Windows 10 laptop running the same version of xjperf, but is wireless to the same satellite.

iPerf_1GB_Client.PNGI first performed an internet speed test from the wired PC:

speedtest.PNG

The results are consistent with what I am paying for from internet provider (200Mbps/5Mbps).

I then setup xjperf to transfer a 1GB file from the client to the server and ran the test three times. Please note that both devices are running NMVe M.2 storage devices so storage read/write times are not a limiting factor in this test.  This was the result from LAN speed test:

iPerf_1GB.PNGIn 3 tests, the file took between 22-25 seconds to transfer and you can see the thruput on the graph above.  Again, I don't know if this what I should expect from two devices connected to the same satellite, one wired, one wireless.  I just wanted to provide some feedback.

Overall, the connection has been fairly stable.  I had to reboot the router once  when devices would refuse to connect to certain websites.  I verified that DNS was working properly by running nslookup from the affected devices, but then they would timeout attempting to load data.  Rebooting the router fixed the issue and the connection has been good for a day again.

Message 283 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok making sure.

Yes, seen others with problems with managed switches and Orbi systems. Try putting the Orbi router behind the PfSense and test with out the switch. Check with the user manual or Mfr of the switch to see if there is anything regarding IGMP protocol that you can disable to test.  Check your PfSense as well for anything IGMP that could be effecting Orbi. Might try the Orbi in router mode behind the Modem directly if you can. Might find a non managed switch to test with as well. They work for me.

@Site wrote:

Orbi is in AP mode and not acting as a DHCP server or anything -  and should not be acting as a firewall or NAT (at least I would hope - if it is always an active firewall even in AP mode than I definitely need to return it).  The only firewall active firewall and NAT should be direclty through pfsense.    

I do have a managed switch.  I will move the Orbi from being wired into the switch to be wired in between the router and the switch.  

Message 284 of 809
ajshurts
Apprentice

My cable modem is a Hitron CGNM-2252 with the resedential gateway function disabled.  The Orbi is performing all the routing, dhcp, etc.  For DNS, I am using the OpenDNS servers.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 285 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Those modem router combo can effect connected routers. 

Sounds like it should be working well then...

@ajshurts wrote:

My cable modem is a Hitron CGNM-2252 with the resedential gateway function disabled.  The Orbi is performing all the routing, dhcp, etc.  For DNS, I am using the OpenDNS servers.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 286 of 809
thossessess
Aspirant

Update to my prior issue where my Nest Cams stopped working post this update. I removed the Wall Satellite RBW30 from the account and no more issues. All Nest Cams are working perfectly. Issue is the Wall Satellite causing connectivity issues with my Nest Cams. The RBR50 and RBS50 do not appear to be impacted. What stinks now is that I’m down an access point, but now my Nest Cams are working again. Why would this cause a problem?
Message 287 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen others with problems using this RBW30 extender. Not sure why however this one model seems to not work well with the orbi system. I would try to see if you can get another RBS50 some place and see if adding this results is something different. 

How big is your home? Sq Ft? 

What is the distance between the orbi router and the RBS50? 

@thossessess wrote:
Update to my prior issue where my Nest Cams stopped working post this update. I removed the Wall Satellite RBW30 from the account and no more issues. All Nest Cams are working perfectly. Issue is the Wall Satellite causing connectivity issues with my Nest Cams. The RBR50 and RBS50 do not appear to be impacted. What stinks now is that I’m down an access point, but now my Nest Cams are working again. Why would this cause a problem?

Message 288 of 809
jesseasi
Star

For those of you who are interested in trying something different.  I went with a Unifi system.  Thanks to Amazon I got everything I needed in just a day.  1 - Cloud Key, 1 - 8 port POE switch, 1 - Unifi Security Gateway, 1 - Outdoor UAP-AC-M-Pro, 1 - UAP-AC-HD (for my family room where we need the best wifi), 1 UAP-AC-LR (Long Range Access Point).  

$1000 all in.  

My Orbi setup was 1 Router, 3 satellites, 1 outdoor satelite.  - $850 all in.  

I did not have to use my dumb switch I had to buy because my smart switch was not compatible.  Hopefully I can return the switch I bought.

With only 3 access points vs 5 with Orbi... 

The results are amazing.  Took me all of 1 hour to get everything setup and configured.  Blazing fast everywhere in my house and most importatly outdoor.  

I have not seen my wemo switches load this fast on my iphone, my Sonos players all work as smooth as ever - no more issues where I can't find a player or "xyz" music service not working.  I was able to go all the way to my boat dock and stay connected and control everything on my network.  That is at least 300 feet from the outdoor access point.

We use unifi in our office - I should have known better.   

The web gui on unifi is amazing.  I don't want to get banned here so I will leave it at that.  

I am a happy camper now.  Anyone want my orbi setup - just PM me.  

Message 289 of 809
DNichter
Star

I don't know much about this stuff, I just want this product to work. I don't need any special features, just solid wifi across the whole house and my HomeKit stuff to work. For me and my iPhone X, everything works great, never had a problem. For my shared HomeKit access (my girlfriends iPhone X), she constantly has issues connecting remotely to the HomePod hub. I went back to 2.1.4.10 and it fixed the issues for a week, now it has come back. Any suggestions?

Message 290 of 809
Sheriff1972
Aspirant

I bought a router and satellite for my mother to extend her WiFi coverage into the kitchen. Since then it like I have a second job as network support for her home. I am now in the USA and her network is down again. Whilst I have been away she has had the ISP out to look at her issues. They took out the ORBI system and she is using her standard free Virgin router. The internet works now just without the range. I will be giving her my Ruckus R500 mesh system (which is bomb proof) when I get home as I simply don't have the time for this level of hand holding...
Message 291 of 809
Tpars
Guide

I tried to click on the link for the RBR50 and RBS50 firmware to download then manually update the Orbi.  It states "requested file does not exist, Please enter the file information requested, file code (blank box)"  How can I update manually when I can't find the most recent firmware 2.1.4.16?  Please point me in the right direction.

Thank You

Message 292 of 809
Kev77
Tutor

Don’t know for sure but they may have discarded the update because it stinks. I’m ok in AP mode after the update but can’t use router mode because it constantly drops signal
Message 293 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to go to the support site and manually download the v.10 version of the FW thats posted there. Once you install it, your router may see the v.16 in the Check for FW updates in the UI. If they haven't removed v.16 from there update servers. Its how i got my friends Orbi set up the other day:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

No complaints from him.

@Tpars wrote:

I tried to click on the link for the RBR50 and RBS50 firmware to download then manually update the Orbi.  It states "requested file does not exist, Please enter the file information requested, file code (blank box)"  How can I update manually when I can't find the most recent firmware 2.1.4.16?  Please point me in the right direction.

Thank You

Message 294 of 809
Tpars
Guide

Did you install through the user interface updating both router and satellite at same time?  The orbi downloaded the firmware 2.1.4.16 automatically.  I haven't installed it yet.. Things have been working well w/ the 2.1.4.10 firmware.  Thanks for your feedback.

Message 295 of 809
FURRYe38
Guru

I manually installed the FW to the satellite first while it was connected. Then upgraded the router. Upgrading the satellite seems to be the best method to ensure it's upgraded first and gets reconnected. Seems that if the satellite doesn't get upgraded first, there maybe issues of its reconnection. After both were upgraded to v.10, I then used the routers FW web page to check for updates, it saw v.16 for both the router and satellite. I use the UI to update both to the v.16.

@Tpars wrote:

Did you install through the user interface updating both router and satellite at same time?  The orbi downloaded the firmware 2.1.4.16 automatically.  I haven't installed it yet.. Things have been working well w/ the 2.1.4.10 firmware.  Thanks for your feedback.

Message 296 of 809
gtpinoy
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue. Only Nest Hello being affected.
Message 297 of 809
JMU1998
Luminary

Is a new Beta Firmware coming ? Tired of "hand cranking" with paperclip this Orbi sattalite everytime power goes out like hand cranking 1920s cars!

Message 298 of 809
RogerSC
Virtuoso

@JMU1998 wrote:

Is a new Beta Firmware coming ? Tired of "hand cranking" with paperclip this Orbi sattalite everytime power goes out like hand cranking 1920s cars!

That's what UPS's are for...avoiding effects of power outages on electronic equipement. I have my cable modem and routers on them. They come in all sizes and are very helpful for things that you want to stay on during a short power outage. And protection from surges, brownouts, etc.

Just a thought.

Message 299 of 809
jcalex22
Star

Okay bad news/good news. I checked my primary 24 port TP-Link managed switch and IGMP was NOT enabled by default, so my inability to connect my wired backhaul through this was not my problem, as suggested in this forum. But the good news is I did have another 16 port DLink switch connected which I went through to the Orbi satellite and when I replaced that with another: BINGO! My wired backhaul started to working and showed up in the web interface as expected. All this with firmware 2.1.4.16. Nice.

I have started to ID all of my 83 IP connected devices, so I can see what is connecting and where, but so far things are looking good.

All I can say is with all the networking devices and configurations out there, it looks like it's not all on the Netgear engineers for firmware issues, from my perspective. At least in my situation. Hope this information can help some of those that have not tried additional solutions.

Message 300 of 809
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7